Closer to Heaven than You

"Cause I'm afraid and stuck in my ways."

November of 2005;

It had been a couple months since Matt and I ran into each other. Our friends definitely knew something was going on between us yet we weren’t official. I had invited him to come to Dallas with me for Thanksgiving. Usually he spent it with the band or his family but he was up for something new. But Thanksgiving was at least two weeks away. Avenged was spending half of November in the studio and since I was to be the background vocals in some songs I was invited to chill in the studio.

Matt wasn’t one for showing too much affection in public. At least, that’s what it seemed like. Or maybe it was just around the guys. I sat in between Zacky and Jimmy as Matt was recording. I saw Zacky’s right hand go into the air and I noticed him getting ready to take a picture. Jimmy and I crowded behind Zacky to get in the picture. Zacky frowned, I smiled, and jimmy made a funny face. We were a weird bunch.

They were recording Gunslinger today and they had done the drums yesterday. Vocals were today. I had to do back up for this song so I waited my turn. I stared at Matt while he was singing and I was half listening to the chatter behind me. I was thinking about our trip to Dallas. I was intrigued to find out what my parents thought of Matt. I had told them about him when I was younger but that was it.

Finally they got to the part where I was to join him in the little room. I stood up and walked into the room and smiled at him. He handed me the big head phones and I waited for my cue. I had done chorus before so that was what the first part would sound like. The only real line I had was to sing,” bring me closer.” And hold out the last note.

Matt gave me a high five afterwards that was accompanied by a wink. He was flirty in his own little ways. I listened to it played back with everyone and I guess their shouts were agreeing with me that they liked the sound of it.

Matt and I left the studio together so we could go pack for Dallas. He grabbed my hand as he drove with the other hand and sighed. I stated,” you did good today.”

He smiled, “Thanks babe.”

Even after a couple months that nickname still made my heart beat faster. I felt like a teenager all over again with the butterflies and everything. Most of his things were at my apartment so we just went there and packed.

I sat cross legged on my bed and asked,” You excited about going to Dallas.”

He smiled,” I’ve been there before you know.”

I rolled my eyes,” you know what I mean.”

He nodded, “I actually nervous. I want your parents to like me.”

I reassured,” I’m sure they will. I happened to talk about you a lot.”
He asked,” When?”

I gave him ‘really now’ look. He chuckled and came over to kiss me. His kiss was intense. I wondered why he was like this in privacy but not in public. After he stopped kissing I asked,” How come you don’t kiss me like that in public?”

He turned around from his bag and looked at me. He didn’t answer right away. He shrugged,” You know that I care for you. Not everyone needs to see something that’s just between us.”

I guess he was right but you think he would be more excited about us but I’ll just let it go. I’m probably just overreacting. I smiled like I was just honestly wondering and he picked up his bag and mine and set it on the bed. He lightly pushed me on my back. He whispered darkly,” Besides, every time I’m around you I don’t want to keep my hands to myself. I seriously doubt the guys want to watch us have sex in the studio.”

I chuckled as he kissed my neck. His left hand slowly grazed up my thigh. I closed my eyes and he was about to have his way with me until the door bell rang. He groaned and sulked as he went to go get the door.

I sat up and grabbed our bags. We had to leave in a bit anyway. I turned the corner into the living room and saw Jimmy. He grinned when he saw me. His smile was contagious so I smiled back. He apologized,” I’m sorry for being a cock blocker.”

I saw him wink and I knew his apology was completely rehearsed. I laughed and shrugged. Matt grumbled,” Yeah, right.”

I patted Jimmy’s shoulder,” Don’t worry, I forgive you.”

Jimmy gasped,” Awe thanks Jacey Rae. I love your girlfriend more than you Matt. She’s a lot more forgiving.”

Matt laughed from the kitchen. Matt came into the living room with a 24 pack of beer and handed it to Jimmy. I acted offended,” You only came here for beer! Wow I actually thought you came to hang out with us.”

Jimmy shook his head,” Nah, you two are bailing out on us for Thanksgiving so we are going to need some beer to keep Syn and I entertained.”

We said our goodbyes to Jimmy and then we left for the airport. The minute we walked out of the Dallas airport people were coming up to us. Not for him, but for me.

This was my hometown and everyone knew who I was. Matt seemed to get a kick out of how I handled fans. I treated everyone like I had known them for years. Matt joked when we got into the rental car,” I can’t picture you having a Texas accent.”

I laughed,” it was like a little tiny one. You really couldn’t even notice.”

I drove to my parent’s house since Matt hadn’t ever driven in Texas. As we drove I would point out things like my high school or the first place we performed. We were getting closer to the house and Matt was staring at all the big houses that surrounded us. The clouds were getting darker and I recognized the sign of a storm brewing.

I pulled into the long circle driveway and Matt’s jaw dropped,” Holy shit. You lived here?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that its been sooooo long. I had some huge writers block. Some foreshadowing in this chapter!!! And A little more of The Rev :) RIP.
Jacey Rae's parent's house