I'm Not Saying That I'm Not Breaking Some Hearts Tonight

I'll Be Proud To Call You A Friend Of Mine

It was about brunch time and Mikey and Jenna walked out of the hotel. They were standing in the front and Jenna’s cab pulled up. They hugged and Mikey stammered awkwardly.

“Don’t,” Jenna said, kissing him softly. “don’t say you’re going to call if you won’t.”

“I’ll think about you,” he said.

Jenna shook her head and smiled weakly. The cab took off and Mikey got into his car and drove home. He arrived home and Sammy, Lauren, and Marissa were whispering in the kitchen. Lauren looked up and glared, Mikey rolled his eyes. He walked upstairs and took a shower. After his shower he laid on his bed, and contemplated breaking up with Kaitlin and going steady with Jenna.

****************************************************************************************************

After eating, Kaitlin mindlessly hung around her apartment for a while. Around lunch time, she was seriously going to lose her mind if she stayed home any longer. She picked up her phone and dialed a number. A man answered.

“Hello?”

“Corey,” she said warmly.

“Kaitlin? You’re actually calling me? You have time to call me? I’m shocked,” he said mockingly.

“Oh, shut up you,” she laughed.

”So, really, why have you graced me with this call?” he said jokingly.

“I missed you. Want to grab a bite to eat?” she asked.

“Sure.”

They made arrangements, then said good bye and hung up. Kaitlin got into her car and drove to the restaurant. She walked in and Corey was already seated. She walked over to the table and he got up, giving her a warm hug.

“Hey you,” he said.

“Hi,” she replied, sitting down.

She hadn’t seen him in a while, which was sad because they didn’t live far away. She studied his face. He changed, not much but he had. His teeth were straighter and it was the first time she realized how truly handsome he was. He had sandy blonde hair, just like her, with blue green eyes that she envied. His jawbone was amazing; she always said he should be a jawbone model. He always said not to speak so much on first dates. Corey’s jacket was on the back of his chair, and the Abercrombie t shirt he was wearing complemented his body nicely. She never understood why he always had girlfriends when he was younger, until now. She thought he was annoying, which he was and still is. She wondered why she never appreciated him more when they were growing up.

“Any one home?” he said.

“Oh, what yeah?” a bit jumpy.

“I was just asking what you were up to.”

“Eh, nothing,” She said.
There was an awkward pause and the waiter took their drink orders.

“So” she said, “What’s up with my little brother?”
They talked for a bit, and then there was another awkward pause on Corey’s part.

“You okay?” Kaitlin asked. Corey nodded and stuffed a forkful of food into his mouth.

“What aren’t you telling me?” she asked.

“I got a phone call,” He said, staring into his plate.

“Ohhh! Are you going to die in 7 days?” she said smiling. He shook his head.

“It was from Cara,” He said, still not looking at her. Kaitlin practically chocked on her drink.

“You still talk to her?”

“I haven’t in a while.”

“How long is a while?”
Corey shrugged.

“I don’t know. A while.”

“Well, what did she want?” demanded Kaitlin.

“Money,” he said, pausing. “and I gave her it.” he said looking up at her.

“Corey! How could you?!” said Kaitlin, outraged.

“Kaitlin. She’s my sister, she’s our sister. She’s family.”

“Family?! You call her family?” Kaitlin paused, trying not to yell. She took a deep breathe and spoke again. “What did she want the money for?”

“Drugs,” he said plainly.

“Well, at least she’s using the money for something useful. This way she’ll ki—”

“Kaitlin! That’s terrible.” he hissed.

“Terrible? Terrible! What about what she did to me?” said Kaitlin.

“I know, I know. What she did was wrong, but—”

“Wrong?!”

“Okay, so it was more than wrong,”

“Yeah, I’d fucking say it was unforgivable and gives me the permission to wish her misfortune!” said Kaitlin, stabbing her fork into her food.
“Anyway,” said Kaitlin, after she gained some peace. “I thought you were all anti-drugs.”

“I didn’t know she was going to buy drugs or else I wouldn’t have given her the money.”

“How’d you find out it was for drugs?”

“Well, mom said it was obviously clear she was on something,” and then Corey paused.

“Mom has SEEN her?!”

“Kaitlin, she’s her daughter. They haven’t spoken in years. All mom wants in is peace in the family, for everyone to make peace.”

“Fuck peace. Fuck Cara. Fuck you for giving her money. And Fuck this whole fucked up family. Okay?”
Corey didn’t say anything.
“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that.”

Corey apologized for bringing up the subject and for upsetting her. They changed topics and talked for several hours more hours. Talking to Corey made her feel so much better (despite the whole Cara conversation). He was always there for her and she loved him for that. He truly was the best brother anyone could ask for. She wondered if he felt the same about her, but truly doubted it. While driving home she made a pact with herself. She promised she was going to see Corey more and that she was going to be a much better sister. She promised that she was going to stop acting like his mother and start acting like his sister.

****************************************************************************************************

Gerard walked up the stairs and knocked on Mikey’s bedroom door. There was a muffled answer that Gerard couldn’t make out.

“I’m coming inside,” Gerard walked in and a pillow came flying at his head.

“Thanks for that,” Gerard said “Is there anything you want to talk about?” he asked, sitting at the chair by the desk.

“Nope,” Mikey mumbled, turning over onto his stomach.

“Where did you go last night?”
Mikey didn’t answer.

“Where you with Jenna?” asked Gerard cautiously.
Mikey sat up.

“No,” he sounded offended.

“Someone else?” asked Gerard. Mikey shook his head.
“So, where were you? You can tell me, I’m your brother and no matter what I’m on your side,” said Gerard.

Mikey hesitated and then spoke, “I went to a bar, got really drunk and called a cab. I just crashed at a hotel. That’s it. You can tell Marissa that whatever she was thinking, she was wrong.”

There was a silent pause. Gerard slightly shook his head in disbelief, but Mikey didn’t notice. Gerard asked again if there was anything he wanted to talk about and Mikey said no. Gerard left. Mikey groaned as he lied down on his bed, putting his hands on his face and wondered if he was becoming a compulsive liar. He wondered why he lied to Gerard, the only person he felt he could trust. He wondered if it was possible to feel strongly about two different girls. He wondered if his life was naturally destined to be a mess or if he was just making it turn out that way.