Familiar Breath of My Old Lies

Chapter Thirty

The door opened before Brian could even put his hand on the doorknob.

“BRIAN!!” The person who screamed was a little girl, who I assume to be McKenna.

I was right.

“Kenna, hey girl.” Brian hugged her.

“Is this her?” She asked.

“Mhmm, McKenna, this is Delilah. Lilah, this is McKenna, my amazing little sister.”

I smiled, “Hi.”

“Hi,” She replied and then hugged me. For a little girl, she gives good hugs.

“Mom and dad are in the living room,” McKenna said.

Brian took my hand into his and we followed McKenna into the living room.

“Suzy, dad, this is my girlfriend, Delilah,” Brian said.

They both stood up.

“We’re so glad Brian finally brought you to meet us. He talks non-stop about you,” Mrs. Haner said.

“I hope its good things,” I replied giving Bri a look.

“Always,” He replied and laughed.

“By the way, you can call me Suzy and you can call him Papa Gates. Everyone else does,” Suzy said.

I nodded my head. Brian and Papa Gates walked into the kitchen to talk about something, leaving me here with Suzy and McKenna.

“I’m sorry if Papa Gates seems kind of like he doesn’t want to get to know you. He’s still kind of mad about the whole Michelle thing,” Suzy said.

“Oh no, its fine. I don’t blame him. I’m not like her though. She’s actually had the nerve to show up at Brian’s when I was here on Christmas break,” I replied.

“Yeah, he told me about that and said you weren’t to happy about it.”

“Nope, I wasn’t at all.”

“So tell me about yourself.”

I smiled nervously, “Well, I just turned twenty. I’m in my junior at UGA. I’m studying to become a middle school teacher. I’ve lived in Georgia my whole with my aunt and uncle,” I replied.

“Wow, I bet they’re really proud of you. What made you want to be a teacher?” She asked.

I shrugged, “I’ve always had an admiration for them and also my cheerleading coach in middle school was one of my favorite teachers, so she really inspired me.”

“So you’re a cheerleader too?” McKenna asked. I knew she was listening in on our conversation.

“Mhmm, I have been since middle school. I love it.”

“Wow, I want to be a cheerleader when I get older…..but Brian doesn’t want me to be one. He said some of them are bad.”

I nodded, scrunching up my nose, “Some of them are bad, you just have to watch and stay away from them.”

“So how did you meet my brother?” McKenna asked again.

“Through my brother Austin.”

“Wait, you’re Delilah Winkler?”

I laughed, “Yep, unfortunately.”

“Why do you say that?” Suzy asked.

“My brother is a terror….seriously…..he’s crazy.”

We sat in silence for a few minutes before Brian came out of the kitchen.

“Lilah, my dad wants to talk to you,” He said. I nodded and got up from the couch. He hugged me and kissed my cheek before I walked into the kitchen.

Papa Gates motioned for me to sit down at the table so I did.

“What are your true intentions with my son?” He asked.
“Well, I love him. I know what you’re thinking, that I’m with him just because he’s Synyster Gates….he’s just Brian Haner to me. Honestly, he could be dirt poor and I would still be in love with him.”

“So you’re not with him for his money?”

“No. I’m not. I’m not the type of girl who likes people spending money on them. I was raised by my aunt and uncle because mine and Austin’s parents couldn’t take care of both of us. While my aunt and uncle didn’t have a lot of money, I still had an amazing childhood.”

“Do you still talk to your real parents?”

“My dad and I talk sometimes, but I really don’t like talking to my mom. When she was pregnant with me, she tried to abort me….and obviously, she didn’t succeed because I’m still here, but….I don’t know.”

Papa Gates nodded his head and smiled, “You’re okay with me then.”

I just smiled and he walked over and hugged me.

Dinner with them was amazing. Papa Gates would tell stories of when the boys were just starting out. He also told about how Jimmy stayed here a lot. I knew about him living in the Laundromat. I think all the Avenged fans knew, unless they live under a rock. I probably wouldn’t get to meet Brent on this trip.

We ended up leaving a couple of hours later because I only get the weekend here and Brian wanted to spend alone time together.

“I told you they would love you,” Brian said as we walked into his house.

“I know, but its always nerve wracking to meet the family,” I replied.

“I agree, I’m going to be the same way.”

I laughed at him and then he pouted.

“Oh quit pouting you big baby,” I kissed him.

“Wanna head upstairs?” He asked lust clouding over his eyes.

“Mhmm.”

We pretty much made up for not seeing each other for awhile. I was pretty sure I would have hickeys on my neck and bruises on my hips the next day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was stuck on this chapter for awhile because I didn't know how to write it.
Anyway, comments would be nice.
:]