Familiar Breath of My Old Lies

Chapter Seven

"Lilah, we have practice in twenty minutes. We need to go," Brooke said getting her stuff together. I just nodded and got up from Jimmy's lap. I grabbed my clothes and went to change. When I got back into my room, I pulled on some tennis shoes then grabbed my cheer bag.

"You wanna walk with me?" I asked Jimmy.

"Yeah, of course," He replied.

Cody and Austin glared. I rolled my eyes at them.

Jimmy walked with us down to the practice field and then he had to leave.

"Will you call me later?" I asked hoping he'd say yes.

He smiled, "Yeah, what time does practice end?"

"About seven."

"Okay, I'll call you after seven then."

I nodded and he kissed my cheek. I watched him walk away.

"Oh my god. You two so like each other," Brooke said in a valley girl voice.

"Maybe," I replied shyly.

She bumped her hip into mine, "Look at you being all shy. Delilah Grace Winkler is never shy."

I just laughed at her, "What's up with you and my brother?"

"He's a sweetie."

"You like him, don't you?"

"Yeah."

"Go for it."

"Seriously?"

"Mhmm. I'm okay with it."

"Oh and what happened with you and Cody? I'm guessing that's why you ran off yesterday."

"Uh, he uh..likes me and he kissed me."

"WHAT?!"

"Yeah..I freaked, ran off, called Brian. Then he came and got me. He's not an asshole like I thought. He's actually really sweet. He's defiantly going to be a big brother type to me."

"Wow, that's crazy..so you think you and Jimmy will hook up?"

"I hope so."

That was the end of our conversation because practice started. I ended up having to run laps because I wasn't on my A game. It's alright though. I need to run more anyway.

After practice was over I showered and got into my sweatpants and t-shirt. Cody was waiting on my bed when I got back into my room. I inwardly sighed.

"Lilah? Can we talk?" He asked.

"Yeah..." I trailed off. I closed the door and sat down next to him.

"Look, I don't want things to be weird between us because of yesterday," He said.

"Cody, how long have you felt that way about me?" I asked.

"About two years."

I choked, "Two years? And you wait until now to say something?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry I waited so long."

"I..I'm sorry I don't feel the same way as you do."

He shrugged, "I wish you did. That way I didn't feel like such a loser."

"Cody, you're not a loser. A dork maybe, but not a loser."

He laughed and then hugged me.

"This is why I lo-like you so much."

I knew he was going to say love and I cringed at that sentence.

My cell rang and the caller id flashed Jimmy.

"I'll leave so you can talk to lover boy," Cody said almost bitterly. I weakly smiled at him and then answered my phone.