When Winter Comes Early

"So you think I'm an animal now? Well it's nice to know what you really think of me then. You act like you don't even know me."

The girl watched his anger grow and his temper flare sadly from the opposite side of the room.

"I don't know you", she stated simply. "Or at least, not anymore. Draco, you've changed. You've changed a lot and it scares me because you won't even talk to me. You're not the same person you were six years ago."

He flinched at her words as if she had slapped him across the face. He looked at his childhood friend, the one who he knew he could always trust, the one he knew he could always confide in, and saw that she wasn't there anymore. The girl he used to know was gone. She had changed just as much as he had and they both knew it in that instant.

A loud, sharp noise came from the cabinet in the corner of the room and Draco looked over his shoulder to see the dark figure of his aunt entering with a wicked grin on her face. He sighed as the rest of the deatheaters entered behind her, pulling out their wands and waiting impatiently for him to lead the way.

Draco looked back sadly at the flustered girl before him. She opened her mouth to say something, but no words left her mouth.

''Riley, darling, I can't say I'm happy to see you", Bellatrix sneered.

"I can't say I'm very glad to see you either Bella", the girl muttered under her breath.

Bellatrix laughed coldly.

"Never mind, you won't get in the way, will you?" Bellatrix shook her head. "No, of course you won't. You were always too nice to get in a person's way. Come Draco, we don't have much time."

Draco still stood with his back to his aunt, facing Riley. Riley shook her head in disgust as she threw herself in front of the door, blocking the only exit. But Draco knew it was hopeless. She was outnumbered. Bellatrix looked shocked at first, but let a small grin slip onto her face.

"Riley, please. Just-"

"Draco, stop talking! This little blood traitor is going to get what she deserves."

Bellatrix pulled out her wand, the very words that haunted Draco's nightmares on the tip of her tongue before Riley cut in.

"You know Bella, you'll be sorry one day."

"Will I now?"

Riley nodded her head solemnly, knowing what was coming.

"When Harry defeats Voldemort, you'll be as good as dead."

"You little-"

"Just remember this talk. This is your warning. Because you have no chance."

Draco closed his eyes as Riley dropped to the ground, lifeless and cold. As he left the Room of Requirement, he knew he had made the wrong choice. But there was no going back to the way it was before.


NOTE: I do not own anything that was created by J.K. Rowling, or that has appeared in the Harry Potter series. I think you pretty much knew that though.....