Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 118

The next morning Jared and I got up bright and early, drove to Marc and Lindsay’s place and hauled him out of bed to come back to the farm and go for a run. He was less than pleased, but we reminded him that Cam had told him we’d bring him since he’d complained about not being ‘invited’ last time. I volunteered to go and wake Cam up, and while both of my red-headed brothers raised an eyebrow I shrugged them off and walked into the house and downstairs.

“Cam, sweetheart, wanna go for a run?” I whispered, gently shaking her. She looked amazing – I’ve never seen a better picture than her all curled up in my bed, sleeping with a tiny smile on her face. Beautiful doesn’t do it justice.

“Not really… but I guess I should,” she yawned, and I shrugged.

“That’s okay – I’m planning on heading into the gym later today, so why don’t you go back to sleep and we’ll work out later?” I suggested, and after a moment and another yawn she nodded. I leaned in and pressed a kiss to her lips, relishing the few moments our lips touched because yesterday I hadn’t been able to kiss her once. When I pulled away her smile had grown, and her hand lingered on my cheek.

“I love you Jordan,” she whispered, and my heart started doing summersaults and beating like a madman.

“I love you too Cam,” I replied, and then quietly shut the door and left the room, going back outside to my brothers.

“She not coming?” Jared asked, and I shook my head.

“No, she’s tired out, so I figured she should just get some more sleep. We’ll work out later,” I replied, and they both nodded knowingly.

“Yeah, yesterday was a hard day for her,” Marc agreed, and soon we all headed out for our run.

When we got back we all but collapsed onto the front lawn, because we’d raced the last mile or so, and because it was us, none of us had wanted to lose.

“Breakfast’s ready!” Mom called out the front door, and when we went inside I smiled when I found Cam helping my mom make breakfast. She had brought a few ‘girly’ clothes with her – just a few nice t-shirts and a pair of shorts, but it was nice to see her dressed as a girl. It was something I hadn’t really seen, even when it was just us and Becka at their place or something like that; she almost always was dressed like a guy.

“Hey there beautiful,” I grinned, wrapping my arms around her from behind and kissing her cheek. She blushed a little before kissing my cheek in return. I pushed some hair off of her face, glad that it was starting to get a little long. It suited her, the longer hair.

“Hey yourself. How was your run?” she asked.

“Good,” I replied, and she nodded, yawning once more. She helped my mom set the table and set out the food before we all sat down to eat.

“Thanks for breakfast,” Jared said, and mom smiled before looking at Cam.

“You should thank Cam – she did most of it,” she said, and we all looked to her in slight disbelief. We all knew she could cook, but I hadn’t expected her to do that here.

“Thank you,” Marc and Jared chorused, and she just shrugged, as she did with any kind of compliment. I reached under the table and took her hand, softly squeezing and then sending her a smile, which she returned before we both went back to eating our breakfasts.

“Well, you three better go shower,” mom informed us, and I won at rock paper scissors so I could go first. I showered in record time, and even Marc was surprised at how quickly I was out of the bathroom. I just didn’t want to waste any time that I had with Cam without having to pretend anymore. It was like being at the lake, but even better because now I didn’t have to pretend to my family.

“So, do you want to do anything particular today?” I asked as I flopped onto the couch and wrapped my arms around my girlfriend. She shook her head and leaned into me, cuddling up to me and making me smile again.

“No, just whatever you want to do,” she told me, and I pressed a kiss to her lips.

“Well, how about we go work out this afternoon, and then I take you out for dinner?” I asked and she nodded.

“You sure going out for dinner will be a good idea?” she asked, chewing on her lip slightly. I let out a huff, having forgotten that my family were the only people who currently knew.

“Well… I’ll find a way to take you out for dinner, it just might not be to town, all right?” I suggested, and she nodded, content to go along with whatever I had planned. We sat there for a few minutes until Marc walked into the room and sat down on the chair.

“So what are the lovebirds up to today?” he asked with a grin, and I gave him a look that clearly told him he was invading a private moment.

“Not a whole lot, probably working out,” Cam answered, not moving away from me as she turned her head to see my brother while they talked.

“So my lug of a brother can’t even take you out?”

“Well if wouldn’t be such a big deal if the rest of the world wouldn’t wonder why two guys were out to dinner together,” she sighed, curling into me even more. I rubbed her arm and sent a glare my brothers’ way, and his expression told me he felt bad about saying what he had.

He stuttered for something to say, and then gave me a look asking for help when he couldn’t come up with anything.

“I’m going to take her for dinner tonight… just not sure how or where I’m gong to do it yet,” I offered, and Marc nodded.

“That’ll be cool,” Marc jumped on my information and started asking Cam about any “dates” we’d been on, and Cam was more than happy to tell him about it. I knew she missed having ‘girl talks’ and I knew that with Becka and Sid’s relationship growing and ours moving along they hadn’t seen much of each other – when Becka was at school they couldn’t talk and when we weren’t practicing Sid and Becka spent what time they could together.

Soon Marc’s phone went off, and he smiled when he read the text.

“Lindsay and Mike are going to be here in about ten minutes,” he explained, and we both nodded. Cam perked up a bit more, excited to see her friend, and probably just as excited to see my nephew.

When the two came in the door Lindsay promptly handed Mike off to Marc and pulled Cam into a hug.

“Oh my God! We need to have some girl time,” Lindsay gushed, and Cam nodded eagerly.

“Yeah, definitely,” and with a quick look towards Marc Lindsay pulled Cam down the hall towards the bathroom, her bag in hand. Marc and I shrugged before going back to the living room, Mike quiet and happily sucking on his binkie.

“So, what’re you going to do?” Marc asked, and I sighed, before having a brilliant idea.

“Well… what if I made a picnic lunch and took her out to the pond?” I asked, and Marc grinned.

“That sounds brilliant Jord, I’m sure she’ll love it! Do you have any ideas what to make?” he asked, and I let out a groan. I wasn’t much of a cook, and that wasn’t a secret with anybody who knew me, including Cam.

“I have no idea… I can’t cook to save my life,” he snorted, knowing jut how poor my cooking skills were. Cam had given him his ‘cooking lesson’ and I’d hoped to piggy back off of it, but I’d been more trouble than anything and Cam had kicked me out of the kitchen while she continued teaching Marc.

“Hmm… maybe we could ask mom for some suggestions, and then we can head to my place and make it there? Then if we screw up too badly Lindsay can do damage control,” he suggested, and this was looking better and better to me.

“Well, I can grab my laptop and we can look for a recipe or something,” Marc nodded and rocked Mike lightly when the little guy made a few noises. I ran downstairs to my bedroom and found my laptop before bolting back up the stairs and turning it on. Marc absentmindedly rocked Mike while we brainstormed and Googled different recipes until we found something we figured would be easy enough for the two of us to make.

“What happens if we screw it up?” I asked, and Marc shrugged.

“Then we run into T-Bay and order some takeout for the two of you,” he replied as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“Okay… so how are we going to make this work?” I asked, and he thought for a moment before asking me to take Mike.

“Honey? Why don’t you two go to our place and you can have a girl’s day?” Marc called down the hall, and Lindsay let out a delighted squeal as she ran towards us and jumped into Marc’s arms.

“That’s a fantastic idea honey! Do you want us to take Mike?” she asked, and Cam walked out after, still wiping some kind of face mask off.

“No, that’s fine – you two deserve some girl time, and you more than deserve a bit of a break,” he told her with a quick kiss.

“You’re amazing Marc,” she grinned, and they kissed once more before Lindsay bounded back to the bathroom to clean up her stuff so they could go.

“What makes me think you two are up to something?” Cam asked, and we both shrugged.

“Other than not wanting to become test subjects for any new nail polish Lindsay has bought?” I asked, and she giggled before pressing a quick kiss to my cheek.

“Okay, okay, I see how it is. See you later then; love you,” she pressed a kiss to my lips before Lindsay ushered her to the car, giving Marc and Mike each a quick kiss and then they were off.

“So what do we do in the meantime?” I asked Marc.

“NHL 11 tournament?” he asked, and after a moment I agreed. I hadn’t kicked his ass in a long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)