Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 119

“What on earth are you two trying to do?” mom asked as she eyed the mess we’d created in the kitchen. To say we were struggling with this whole romantic dinner thing was the understatement of a lifetime.

“Trying to make a dinner lover boy here can put in a picnic basket so he can take his girlfriend on a date,” Marc answered, and she rolled her eyes at us before looking around.

“And where is your son?”

“Jared’s got him – last I checked they were downstairs and Jared was reading him stories. That was… not quite ten minutes ago?” I nodded, because it was close to being right. Jared had been more than happy to take the babysitting job while we attempted, and for the most part were failing, at making dinner. By now I was considering just going old school and making sandwiches. At least those I couldn’t screw up.

“All right, Marc, clear out – Jordan you are lucky your mother knows how to cook and wants your girlfriend to stick around,” she said, and after a moment’s hesitation Marc headed downstairs to check on Mike, and mom took his spot in the kitchen and looked over our mess.

“So, we need something that’s portable but you still want it to be a little fancy?” she asked, and I nodded.

“We spent like an hour Googling to look for a recipe, and we still don’t know what we’re doing,” I sighed, and just moments later she began scribbling on a piece of paper.

“We’re going to have to make a quick trip to town… I’ll call Lindsay and tell her to keep Cam a little later than anticipated,” she mumbled, and ushered me out to my truck. I sped a little going into town, and then followed my mother around the grocery store, without a clue what she was getting or what she’d thought up to make.

When we got home she set me to cleaning up the mess Marc and I had made, and then started on her cooking. I basically became her “go-for” assistant and did the occasional stirring. We made mushrooms stuffed with sausage, cheese and cream cheese, and then what she called “On the go” lasagna, and a small salad – which I actually got to make – and then chocolate lava cakes. I’d remembered having them a few times as a kid, but mom went all out – shaping them like hearts. Even I thought they were possibly too cool to eat.

“Wow, mom thanks so much…” I was at a loss for words. Mom just smiled and pulled me in for a hug – the lasagna sitting in the oven to keep hot, the rest sitting on the counter.

“Don’t worry about it honey, I just hope she likes it,” she said, and my smile got bigger. I had no words for how happy I was that she approved of and liked Cam, and today mom had warmed completely to the idea of her being a girl, and had taken her in much the same way as she had Tanya and Lindsay.

“Me too… now I just have to find something to put it in,” I said, and mom bounded downstairs, coming back up a few minutes later with a huge wicker picnic basket. It was one we’d used as kids going to swimming lessons or on trips to the lake, that sort of thing. It still had the red and white checker cloth folded neatly inside of it.

“This should work. Now let’s put the lasagna in first – if we pack tea towels around it, it should stay warm longer,” she instructed, and soon we had it packed up, and I jogged to my bedroom to pull out the bottle of wine I’d saved for such an occasion, and packed it into the basket as well as two plastic wine glasses. Just in case the bumpy old back road was rougher than I thought I didn’t want to break any of mom’s real ones.

“Look at you, who would’ve guessed that my Jordy could be a romantic?” mom asked, and when I looked to her she was smiling proudly.

“Nobody until Cam came into the picture,” I allowed, and she hugged me.

“You better do whatever you can to keep her around Jordan, I see the way you two look at each other, and nobody would disagree that she’s the best thing that’s ever happened to you,” she whispered.

“I know mom, she is the best thing that ever happened to me. I don’t know what I’d do if I lost her,” I admitted, and she patted my cheek lightly.

“Let’s not find out, all right? Now you go get that all packed in your truck, I’ll let Lindsay know it’s safe to bring Cam over and get some dinner started for the rest of us. You better pack a blanket too, in case it gets chilly,” she advised, and I did as I was told, packing two blankets and the basket into the backseat of my truck, and then waited anxiously for Lindsay to bring Cam back. Marc and Jared brought Mike back upstairs, so I kept myself occupied by occupying him until I saw the car pull into the driveway.

“Knock her socks off,” Jared grinned, and gave me a pat on the shoulder as I walked outside. The girls were chatting away excitedly, and I saw that Lindsay had done Cam’s makeup. Nothing too uncharacteristic for her – just some natural eye shadow, a little blush, and some lip color. She looked beautiful.

“Hey there gorgeous,” I grinned as she walked into my arms for a quick kiss.

“Hello there handsome; miss me?” she asked with a teasing grin and a raised brow. I nodded before kissing her again, and as we hugged properly Lindsay caught my eye.

“Well, I’m going to go see if Linda needs any help with dinner,” she announced, and soon Cam moved to pull away and follow her.

“Oh no, we have plans, remember?” I kept my grip on her, and she giggled.

“And what is that?”

“It’s a surprise, okay? Let’s go,” I couldn’t keep a grin off of my face, my excitement and nerves building as we got into my truck and drove out of the yard.