Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 128

“Hey, look who finally woke up,” Marc teased, and I felt myself hold my breath when Eric turned. I saw him struggle to keep his expression the same, not wanting to make a scene in front of Parker again.

“Yeah, Parker here just got up,” I responded, and Parker was still struggling to keep his eyes open.

“Hi,” he managed a small wave for everybody before his head was back on my shoulder and he was struggling to keep his eyes open.

“Honey, it looks like you should sleep a little longer,” Tanya suggested, and Parker nodded, going to his mom after only a little fussing. I took Cam’s hand and walked over to where everyone was, sitting down on the grass, and pulling Cam’s legs over mine when she sat down beside me so she could curl into me.

Eric managed to look everywhere but us and speak to everyone but us the entire time we were there, and soon all I could hear was the blood rushing as I went from being miffed to royally pissed.

“So this is how it’s gonna be?” I demanded, and everyone went quiet. I’d managed to control myself until after Tanya had taken the boys inside, but I couldn’t do it any longer.

Eric didn’t respond, and I felt my patience fading even quicker than normal, which meant it was basically gone already.

“I’m talking to you Eric! Or did you just decide that I no longer exist?”

“I’m not doing this right now,” he told me matter-of-factly, refusing to look at me.

“Well too bad, because I am. What’s your big fucking problem? Cam’s a girl, we’re together, and we’re happy, what’s so wrong with that?” he winced slightly at my volume, but continued to refuse to look at me.

“Goddamnit Eric just fucking look at me!” I roared, and it registered slightly that Mike woke up, startled by the noise and that he was fussing, as well as Cam’s hand on my arm trying to make me calm down.

“There. Happy?” he sneered, looking at me for all of two or three seconds before turning away again.

“Grow the fuck up Eric,” I burst, shocking everyone.

“Excuse me?”

“Grow up! I don’t see why you’re being such a douche about all of this!”

“You don’t see how people are going to be mad or upset about having been lied to the entire time they’ve known Cam? Or maybe the fact that for the past while –again, because you lied – I thought you were gay?” he demanded, and I started to see red again.

“So you’re just going to completely cut us out of your life because your feelings got hurt? Well I’m not going to apologize because Cam deserved and wanted and worked her ass off to get a chance to live her dreams and that the only way she could do that was to pretend to be a guy!” I snarled at him, and he turned to look at me, obviously a little pissed too. I was surprised mom hadn’t jumped in yet, but I guess she figured this needed to be settled between the two of us.

“No, it’s not because my feelings ‘got hurt’,” he growled. “Sorry I find it hard to accept and trust somebody who’s been lying to me the entire time I’ve known them.”

Cam bit back part of a sob then, and while she refused to look anywhere but at the grass I knew there were tears streaming down her cheeks.

“Well fuck you then; the only thing she ever lied about was being a guy. Everything else was completely her. She’s one of your friends Eric, and if that and our relationship doesn’t mean enough to you to at least make a fucking effort to understand then I guess we can cut you out of our lives too. We don’t need your shit,” I told him, and abruptly stood up, picking Cam up and starting to walk towards my truck. She didn’t make so much as a sound, and I had honestly thought she’d protest slightly, but she must have been upset enough to just not care. That cemented my decision to leave, because I wasn’t going to let Eric hurt her like this.

“Whoa, Jord, where are you going?” Marc asked, standing up in alarm.

“My place. We’ll go there so we don’t bother the princess over there,” I replied, setting Cam down in the passenger seat, getting in the driver’s seat and leaving the yard. I felt bad for a moment, seeing the upset looks on Marc, Jared, Lindsay and my mom’s faces, but as soon as my eyes landed on my brother that didn’t matter.