Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 140

“What?” they all gasped, and I nodded.

“Yeah, I’m a girl,” I repeated, and Mario was the first to speak.

“Well, that was… unexpected,” he allowed, and I felt the tears starting behind my eyes. Here it was – the moment where all of my dreams came crashing down around my head.

“I’m so sorry, you have no idea… that’s why I didn’t want to sign a contract right away – it wouldn’t have been fair to you all for me to have signed a long-term contract and then sprung this on you,”

They all nodded, and then a thick silence settled over the room. I began to squirm in my seat, not knowing what this meant. My gut was screaming that they were just trying to find a polite way to give me the boot, but my heart was hoping like hell that it wasn’t the case.

“Personally, I don’t see why this should make a difference,” Mario spoke up, ending the long silence. My head whipped up to look at him, my eyes wide.

“R-really?”

“Really. The fact you’re a girl doesn’t change any of the accomplishments you’ve made or your role on this team,” he explained, and I felt a tiny glimmer of hope that maybe they would still want me to play.

“I agree – Cam you’re a big part of this team,” Dan pitched in, and I looked to Ray, who still looked a little shocked.

“Do your teammates know?” he asked.

“Just Jordan and Steve,” I said, and saw the questioning looks.

“Steve’s kind of like a second dad to me – and when I was in the hospital after I got cut by that skate blade he found out. Jordan… we’re just so close, it was only a matter of time before he found out,” I explained, not sure it was appropriate to mention that we were also in a relationship. I didn’t know if they had rules regarding this – they probably didn’t have a lot of these situations.

“I see, that’s understandable,” Ray nodded, and seemed to take a moment to think things over.
“Well, the way I see it, I don’t see any reasons why we wouldn’t still want you on the team. But,” he paused, giving me a pointed look and looking to both Dan and Mario.

“But, the rest of our team, and the league, are going to need to know this Cam. I hope you understand,” Dan said, and I nodded.

“Yeah, I do. I just thought it would be better for you, and the rest of the team, to know before everybody else,” I agreed, and they all shared a look.

“Well then, I think it’s settled,” Mario said with a grin.

“What’s settled?” I asked, and they all laughed.

“As long as you’re still willing to sign with us, and as long as the league allows it – because I don’t know what kind of hoops we’ll have to jump through with that - we’d love to have you here for at least the next four years,” Ray finished for him, and I could’ve leaped into the air and shouted from rooftops.

“Yes! Of course!” I blurted, and then began to blush when I realized how it had come out. They all laughed at me, and Dan gave me a fatherly pat on the shoulder.

“Good to hear Cam. Well, we have a team meeting on Monday… I think it’s best you tell the guys then,” he suggested, and I nodded.

“Yeah,”

“And I’ll get to work arranging a media conference for you so the rest of the league is informed – I’ll give you a good week or two after telling the team so they’ve had some time to get used to the idea,” Mario added.

“Thank you so much – this means the world to me,” I told them, feeling a little choked up.

“You’re welcome Cam,” they all replied, and after saying goodbye I was heading to go and find Jordan and Becka. I knew we would have to wait until they’d discussed it with the league to know if I could technically still sign or not, but they didn’t think it would be an issue and assured me my contract would be sitting there waiting for me.

“Oh, Cam?” I turned to see Mario heading my direction.

“Yes?”

“I just wanted you to know, that we don’t have any policies against relationships in the… um… workplace. It just can’t affect the team as a whole, all right? We’ve never really had to address this before but, I thought you should know,” Mario told me.

“Thanks, that’s good to know,” I smiled, and he raised an eyebrow. Moments later a knowing grin came over his face and I had a feeling he knew something.

“So, I’m assuming Jordan’s the lucky fellow?” he asked, and I felt my face heat up as I nodded. He just grinned at me and pulled me in for a quick hug.

“He’s a good kid; I hope things work out well for you,” he said, and began walking towards the exit.

“How did you…?”

“Know? Come on Cam, he’s the only other guy on the team that knows you’re a girl, and how close you two are? I’m getting old but I’m not stupid, and I have daughters,” he gave me a grin, before waving and continuing on his way. I stood there shocked for a moment, before moving to go and find Jordan and Becka. It took about ten minutes, and when I did saw the hesitation on both of their faces.

Jordan immediately pulled me into a hug, and I sighed as I melted into him.

“So, what’s the news?” he asked, and I grinned.

“Looks like I’m staying in Pittsburgh,” I told him, and both of their faces lit up. Jordan let out a whoop and spun me around before kissing me.

“That’s amazing! God, I’m so happy for you!” he exclaimed, and I nodded, hugging him again.

“That’s awesome Cam,” Becka seconded, and I pulled apart from Jordan to hug my best friend.

“You’re telling me,” I agreed, the three of us walking towards the exit to go home.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys know I couldn't leave you hanging like that!! I have one more chapter, but it ends in a cliffhanger, so I'm leaving it up to you guys - do you want her telling the team to be in this story BUT end in a cliffhanger, or in the sequel but NOT a cliffhanger? (I don't feel like I'm giving anything away because y'all know she's telling them at some point!)

Let me know what you think!