Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 16

“Hey there you are; I was wondering what happened to you!” Becka said, walking to the kitchen as I walked into our apartment.
“I got bored so I went to CONSOL and worked out,” I shrugged, putting my gym bag on the floor before heading straight for the fridge. I found a veggie tray and pulled it out with some salad dressing to munch on.
“Wow, you’re the only person I know who works out when they’re bored,” she sighed, sitting down at the kitchen table and stealing a carrot off of the plate of vegetables and dipping it in the ranch.
“Well I have to; after all that last night I needed to work out,” I reminded her, and she nodded.
“I know, I know,” Becka rolled her eyes at me before laughing. “It’s just a little weird is all.”
“Neal was there so we worked out together, then Sid showed up just as I was leaving,” I told her, and she nodded. We ate quietly for a few minutes, and I got up to grab a glass of water.
“So was Jordan all right? He sounded like something was bothering him when he had called to say he was coming over,” she asked, and I sighed, sitting back down.
“Yeah, he’s got a lot on his mind right now; things aren’t so great with him and Torrie and he doesn’t know what to do,”
“She’s worried that he’s gonna break up with her,” she told me, and I nodded.
“It crossed his mind. He doesn’t know what he wants or what he should do, and it’s eating away at him pretty bad. Sounds like this has been a long time in the making though,” I explained.
“To hear Torrie talk about him she sounds head over heels in love, but to hear her talk about their relationship it sounds like she hates him. I just think they’re the kind of couple that’s not meant for the long run,” Becka admitted, and I nodded. I’d been thinking the same thing. Jordan deserved somebody who could understand him; when he needed his space he needed it, and Torrie seemed to thinks he knew exactly what he needed without having a clue.
“Unfortunately I have to agree with you there,”
“You don’t… like him, do you?” she asked, and I raised an eyebrow at her.
“What? Of course I like Jordan, he’s like my big brother,”
“I mean, like, like him,” she pushed.
“Nah, we’re just tight. Like I said, he’s like my big brother; he told me I’m like another little brother to him too,” I assured her, and she nodded, sitting back in her chair and munching thoughtfully on a carrot stick.
“Just wondering. You two just click… you know? It’s strange, but you two just work together no matter what you do,” she mused, and I shrugged. It was as if Jordan and I had known each other forever, it was just natural for us.
“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean we click like that. I don’t even think of him that way; I mean yeah, he’s really good looking, but that doesn’t mean I’m interested in that way,” I told her, and she nodded.
“Yeah, I know what you mean. I was just wondering if you guys had clicked that way or not,”
“We can’t; it wouldn’t work to be on the same team, and then there’s the fact that I’m supposed to be a guy, remember? If he liked me that way it would probably mean he was gay,” I grimaced. I couldn’t picture Jordan being gay, he liked women way too much for that, but a person never knew.
“Jordan, gay? Yeah right!” she burst, nearly doubling over in laughter. A grin worked its way onto my face, unable to fathom the idea of my best friend on the team ‘swinging the other way.’
“Exactly,”
“Yeah, I get it. So, are you excited for the game Friday?” she asked, and I nodded. I loved that the schedule was jam-packed for the next couple of weeks, it gave me lots to do and I knew that playing this many teams so tightly together could only force me to learn faster and play better.
“Yes! It’s gonna be so good! And against Washington too,”
“It’s gonna be a good game to watch,” Becka agreed.
“And you better be coming to watch it,” I told her, and she squealed excitedly.
“OF COURSE! Seeing as I’m your supposed ‘girlfriend’ it seems I have a reserved seat,” she smiled, obviously pleased with her position. This arrangement had benefited us more than we’d thought; none of the guys suspected I was a girl – or that I was gay for not hitting on or checking out other girls – and Becka got great seats to all of my hockey games, as well as getting to meet a group of girls who she got along with really well.
“Well we wouldn’t want me to get all upset if my supposed ‘girlfriend’ couldn’t go to one of my games, would we?” I rolled my eyes, before starting to laugh as well.