Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 18

“Cam,” Becka’s voice was shaky, and I pulled my best friend in for a hug.
“I promise, I’m fine. You know if I wasn’t fine that I wouldn’t play and I’d go to the doctor, you know that right?” I said, pulling away just enough that I could look at her. She nodded, sniffling a little before hugging me again and burying her face against my shoulder. I hugged her back, and finally she calmed down enough to regain her composure.
“You all right?” I asked quietly, and she nodded, letting one last sniff out before fisting a tear off of her cheek.
“Yeah, I’m good,” her voice was quiet, but the shake left it so I knew she would be all right.
“And if anything starts to bother me I’ll go straight to the doctor, I promise,” I added, and finally she managed a little smile.
“That’s bullshit and you know it; I’ll have to drag your ass in there,” she told me, and I managed to crack a smile back at her. I pulled her into another quick hug before letting her go, realizing that Amy was still standing there. I looked over, and saw her nearly in tears too.
“Amy, what’s wrong?” I asked, and she just waved me off.
“It’s just… I cant imagine having to go through this; Marc hardly gets injured like this. I mean, pulling muscles or something like that is whatever, but to have guys coming at him to hurt him? I don’t think I could handle it,” she said, and after a moment’s debate I pulled her in for a hug too. She burst into tears then, and I looked to Becka in alarm, not quite sure what to do with the situation.
“It’s okay Amy, everything will be all right,” I murmured, softly rubbing her back until she calmed down. I looked up to see Marc standing there, looking like he was unsure as to whether or not to be worried or mad.
“Come here,” I mouthed to him, and after a moments’ hesitation he did so.
“Here’s Marc, Amy,” I said, and after a moment she pulled away from me.
“I’m sorry; it was stupid to get all worked up over nothing,” she immediately tried to get a hold of herself, and as soon a she started flustering about it Marc wrapped his arms around her, knowing she was about to lose it. I put my arm around Becka and walked with her to the main lounge of the locker room, and talked for a few moments before heading back to go and shower. I had taken long enough that everybody had cleared out of the locker room, so I showered in about four minutes and was dressed in five or six minutes. Just as I was pulling on my coat Torrie burst into the room, in tears, and looked scared witless when she realized I was there.
“O-oh, Cam, I’m sorry… I didn’t realize anybody was in here still,” she sobbed. “It’s okay. What’s wrong?” I asked, not sure if it was safe to or not; Torrie looked about to blow.
“It’s nothing,” she spit out, turning away from me.
“Okay, if you’re sure,” I said, positive that there was a problem but I didn’t know Torrie well enough to know whether or not to push and make her talk about it.
“Jordan wants to take a break!” Torrie burst just moments later, before more tears were streaming down her face. I stood there, shocked, and not knowing what to say.