Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 6

When Uncle Rob and I got back to the hotel I was ready to die and get some sleep, but instead my phone was going off like crazy.

"Hello?"

"CAM FOR GOD'S SAKES GIRL DO YOU NEVER ANSWER YOUR PHONE?" met me, and I laughed even though I felt bad. With the craziness of the past week and a half or so I'd completely forgot to let my best friend know what was up.

"I'm sorry! I've been busy Becka," I insisted, and heard her huff.

"Fine. So? You playing for the Bears?" she asked.

"No, I kind of one or two-upped the Bears,"

"What? What the hell are you talking about?" she demanded, I laughed, knowing that her short temper was on it's last fuse.

"I'm playing for the Penguins," I told her, not a hundred percent sure if she knew who I was talking about. Hockey's not really her thing; she's more of a clothes and makeup kind of girl, so how we're best friends I don't know.

"YOU'RE KIDDING?" she gasped, which told me she did know who I was talking about.

"No, I'm serious! The coach cut me from the Bears, and one of the guys thought I should've made the team. One of his friend's or something worked for the AHL Penguins so he got me the info and stuff to try-out for them, and then Dan Bylsma and Ray Shero were at practice and wanted me to try out with the NHL Penguins and now I'm in Pittsburgh," I told her, and heard her shriek.

"This is perfect!"

"Perfect? Thanks,"

"I got into the Arts Institute there! Cam we can live together! This will be so much fun!" she shrieked, and I felt my grin grow.

"That would be awesome!"

"Have you started looking for a place yet?"

"No I haven't, have you?" I asked.

"No, but I don't start until the end of October or beginning of November," she answered. I pulled my laptop over to me to start looking at some listings.

"Well I'll start checking that out, is the Institute close to the rink at all, do you know?" I asked, booting it up so I could check out some listings and stuff.

"It's really close!" she exclaimed a few minutes later. Uncle Rob came back into the room with the pizza he'd grabbed, and gave me a questioning look.

"That's perfect! I'll start checking out some listings, okay? Talk to you later; I think we're having supper," I said, and after a fairly short goodbye, for us, I hung up. I sat down at the little table in the room with Uncle Rob, bringing my laptop with me to search while we ate.

"SO what's going on?" he asked.

"Well, you know how they want me on the team here, right?" he nodded, taking another bite.

"Well my best friend Becka got into the Arts Institute here; it's really close to the rink and we could get an apartment together," I explained, and his face just lit up.

"Cam, that's fantastic!" and so the rest of the night was spent finding apartments that would be suitable for us. I still crashed early, and got up with about two hours to spare before practice.

My phone went off again, and I wondered who it was. I don't have caller ID, which I really should get, but I answered it anyway.

"Cam? It's Becka again, any luck?" she asked.

"Found quite a few actually, we'll go check some out today after practice is over," I told her.

"They all think you're a guy, don't they?" she asked.

"Yeah, they do," I replied, knowing she thought it was weird as hell that I did this. She didn't understand that I loved it enough to completely overhaul who I was; hockey was my life.

"Well I was thinking about this last night. If they all think you're a boy will they think it's weird if you have a girl move in with you?" she asked. I'd honestly never even thought about that possibility.

"I don't know…"

"Well I thought about it last night. This may be weird and all, but if they ask would it make more sense for me to be your supposed girlfriend? I mean, then they won't wonder if you're 'gay' or a girl or whatever," she offered.

"Becka you don't have to do that, we both know it'll be weird as hell," I argued.

"Well then we stage a break up. Have you never seen 'She's The Man'?" she asked, and I chuckled. Trust Becka to come out with a movie reference.

"Yes,I've seen 'She's The Man'," I sighed.

"Same thing. So they won't suspect a thing! And besides, then you can introduce me to the very good-looking Sidney Crosby,"

"Oh Jeez Becka, don't you think that might be suspicious?" I laughed, having wondered where her motivation was. She thought Crosby was about the sexiest thing to walk planet Earth. Not that I would disagree that he's good looking, but you know what I mean.

"Well after we do this so-called 'break up', you can tell him how things were better when we were just friends and that it really wouldn't bother you, etcetera, and ta-da!" she giggled, knowing she was making me laugh.

"Okay, okay, we'll try it. Want me to take pictures of any of the places we go to?" I asked.

"Yeah, that'd be good. I've gotta go to work though, talk to you later!"

"Bye Becka!"

"Bye Cam!"