Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 81

“What’s with the two of you lately? You’ve been at each other’s throats since we were coming back,” Tanya asked, as Jared took Parker to go get a snack from the vending machine downstairs.

“He’s just being a dick about Parker maybe going to Pittsburgh with Jordan, Jared and Cam,” Eric huffed, and while Linda made a face at the name he called his brother she seemed more than sympathetic, and Tanya handed her son over to his grandfather to wrap her arms around her husband. Eric relaxed immediately into her embrace, and I watched five years disappear from his face as the tension seemed to disappear. Jared asked Parker if he wanted to go for a walk, which Parker thought sounded like fun, and they quickly left the room. Tanya gave her brother-in-law a grateful smile, and he returned it before closing the door behind the two of them.

“Why’s that Eric?” Jordan asked, and Eric shrugged.

“I don’t know – he just doesn’t get it. I mean, mom weren’t you worried the first time I went elsewhere to play hockey with somebody else? And even then I was a lot older and a helluva lot closer to home than what Parker’s going to be if he goes with you guys,” he explained, and all of the Staals nodded. I knew exactly where Eric was coming from on this; I’d feel the same way if it were my son.

I looked to Linda and Henry, who looked more than sympathetic then ever; Linda held on tightly to her grandson while she leaned on her husband, and his arm was around her. Henry had a far off look in his eyes, and I had no doubt he was reliving his oldest son leaving home at fifteen to move away and play hockey hours away from home. It couldn’t be easy to watch your kids leave home, let alone letting them leave so young; they knew exactly how Eric was feeling, and knew how magnified it was by Parker’s young age. Jordan and I shared a look, and he knew I felt a little uncomfortable being involved in such a personal family matter, but I had no way out short of taking Parker somewhere, and Jared had already done that.

“We know what you’re going through Eric, and Parker is so young, so much younger than you were when you left home, but he’ll be okay. You know Jared and Jordan wouldn’t ever let anything happen to him,” Henry told him, and while Eric nodded he looked no closer to liking the decision. Linda handed Levi over to Henry and I moved over to let Linda sit beside her son.

“Eric honey, what if your dad and I went to Pittsburgh too? Then we could keep an eye on him too, would that make you feel better?” she suggested and Tanya nodded.

“That would be good Eric, he’d be with them all the time, he’d be fine sweetheart,” she cooed, and he let out a long sigh.

“I know, I know he’d be fine, I just… I know I’m being stupid about this. He should go; he’ll have lots of fun with you two and Jared,” he said, and Tanya wrapped her arms tighter around him, rubbing his back.

“We can go with them,” Linda repeated, but he shook his head.

“No that’s all right, Park will be fine with the guys, and I’m just being stupid about it. No need for you guys to rearrange all your plans because I’m being ridiculous. I know I am, it just doesn’t make it any easier,” Jordan looked surprised, and I was as well. Eric was so stubborn I was having trouble believing that he would agree to this.

“If you’re sure Eric, if you’re really not okay with it—” Jordan started, but was cut off by his older brother.

“No, I’m sure. And besides, Parker’s so excited about it now I can’t just say no; it would break his heart if I said he couldn’t go,” he managed a weak chuckle, and Linda gave him another hug before Eric reached towards his father and his youngest son. Henry handed Levi over and Eric held him tightly to his chest, watching the little boy whose bright blue eyes were a mirror copy of his own. After a moment Henry placed a comforting hand on his son’s shoulder.

“He’ll be okay Eric. I know it’s tough to let your son go at any age, let alone as little as Parker, but he’ll be all right. He’s enough like you that nothing will faze him,” Eric managed a smile at that, and Tanya was hiding a grin while she leaned on Linda for support.

“Thanks Dad,” Eric whispered, and Jordan leaned on me slightly, which made me smile a little bit.

“That’s what I’m here for,” he replied, and I resisted the urge to tear up at how sweet this was. While my mother and I were close we’d never experienced anything like that, and to see just how close the Staals were. They all shared the closeness that my dad and I had had. There wasn’t one person who was the glue holding them together, like so many families did, but instead they were all integral parts of each other that nothing could ever separate.

“Somebody better text Jared; who knows where he’s hauled Parker to,” Tanya said, and Jordan chuckled.

“Come on, you know Jared’s wrapped right around the little guy’s finger; it’s probably the other way around,” Jordan reminded her, and the situation diffused a little bit. I didn’t see anybody reach for their phones yet, so I texted Jared that we’d got things cleared up so it was safe to bring Parker back up when he wanted to.

It only took about ten minutes for the two of them to come back into the room, both of them eating a cupcake. Parker looked happy as a clam, chattering away about how Jared took him for a walk and they saw a bunch of lights and stores and even saw a couple of guys who had played who were more than happy to stop and take a picture with Parker and entertain him for a few minutes; and then how they’d went for cupcakes. So Jared had basically made Parker’s night, and the little guy was nearly bouncing off the walls when his parents told him he was going to go to Pittsburgh with us. He launched himself at his parents for hugs, then launched himself at Jared, Jordan and myself for more hugs, giggling excitedly all the while.

“Well, I think I’m going to head to bed; our flight leaves early enough tomorrow,” I said, thinking I’d bow out and leave Jordan to his family for a little while. Everybody said goodbye, giving me a hug and wishing me well on the rest of the season; Eric reminding me that we played each other in about two and a half weeks and to expect him over, Linda giving me a small smile and wrapping me in a tight hug, Tanya giving me a tight hug and wishing me good luck, and Jared giving me a hug before grinning, saying he’d see me in the morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you're thinking! :) Some exciting stuff coming up - I know I said it last time but I forget how far ahead I've written sometimes... but I promise more excitement soon!