Status: Completed

Who Wouldn't Want To Be Me

Chapter 90

Jared's P.O.V.

Supper was a fairly quiet affair; Parker was still tuckered out from an exciting weekend, and Jordan and Cam were quiet, probably both digesting the conversations I’d had with them, from the small glances they kept giving each other. I hoped they’d just get over it already; they were awesome together, and at this rate Jord would have a ring on her finger in a couple of months.

“So, what time do we want to go to the zoo tomorrow?” I asked, eager to start some conversation to help keep my nephew awake so he could sleep tonight.

“Do we want to go before noon?” Cam asked, and Jordan groaned.

“Do we have to?” he asked. To my amusement and his dismay Parker seemed to think that was a fantastic idea. So right after their morning skate we were going to head out to the zoo.

“Do you think Becka will want to come?” Jordan asked Cam, who shook her head.

“She’s got class, otherwise she probably would want to,” she answered, and he nodded, going back to eating his food. Things were quiet again for a while, and Cam set up Monopoly on the coffee table so we could find something to do to keep Parker awake. I offered to help clean up the dishes, and while Jordan gave me a funny look I just shrugged – I was a guest here, so I should help clean up. Mom had taught us that. That rule wasn’t usually implemented between siblings at each other’s houses, but with Cam I’d decided it was different.

It was nine o’clock when Jordan decided we should head back to his place so he could put Parker to bed. Parker began to fuss, not wanting to spend the night away from Cam.

“It’s okay; you’ll see me in the morning Parker, then we’re going to go to the zoo, remember?” she reminded the little guy, and he nodded, giving her a tight hug before letting us go back to Jord’s apartment. Jordan helped him into his pajamas and seconds later Parker was out for the night. We sat down in the living room, a beer in hand as we watched Winnipeg play Minnesota.

“So… what were you and Cam talking about?” Jordan asked, and I shrugged.

“Just stuff, why?”

“You just seemed pretty cozy, that’s all,” he mumbled, taking another swig of his beer. I couldn’t help it; I started to laugh at him.

“Really? Really? Oh my God Jordan, that’s the last thing you have to worry about. Cam’s like my sister – and if you ever get your act together she’ll technically be my sister too. We’re just pretty close Jord – that’s all,” I assured him, and while he looked a little embarrassed at jumping to that conclusion wasn’t a hundred percent convinced.

“If you say so… you were staring at her a lot,” he said, and I chuckled.

“She showed me her old driver’s license picture – one she looks like a girl in. I’m just having a hard time believing that it’s her. You’re lucky dude; you’ve somehow managed to catch yourself the most amazing woman I’ve ever met,” I told him, and that wary look was in his eyes again.

“Jordan! She’s like my SISTER!” I loudly repeated, and finally he seemed to relax.

“I’m just always worried, I mean, she’s so amazing… she deserves better than me,” he said, and I nearly spit out my mouthful of beer.

“What?”

“Come on Jared, it’s not a secret that relationships aren’t my thing. I’m not good at them, I’m constantly making mistakes… she deserves somebody who can be there for her all the time and who knows how to be there for her… not somebody who’s gonna bumble along and hope he figures it out,” he told me, and I shook my head. They were so goddamn alike it was almost frightening.

“Oh shut up Jord; if you’re so scared of not being good enough for her then you better try as hard as you can to keep her and prove to her that you deserve her,” I said, and then was surprised by what had just came out of my mouth. But it was true; I’d seen Jordan do a lot of stupid things in his time, and Cam was important to all of us, and loved him. It would kill her if he did something to hurt her, it would affect all of us and I would hurt him for hurting her.

“When did you get so damn philosophical?” he asked, but there was a weary grin on his face.

“Beats me bro,” I replied, and we laughed for a moment before deciding to go to bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really liking writing from Jared's point of view right now... I hope you guys don't mind too much! It just makes some things a little easier to write and let's everybody actually see Cam and Jordan together. Let me know what you think!!