Status: Writing Chapters by hand...

This Is Not the End

There's A Light On In The Back Of This House

Elise’s POV

The apartment that Max got me was really nice. It had two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The walls were blue and the carpet was black. It was furnished with black suede sofas and a matching loveseat. There was a red area rug underneath the black wooden coffee table. The kitchen was fully stocked with all my favorite foods. My bedroom was equipped with a queen sized bed and the walls were freshly painted red. Max bought me a black bedspread.

Max was over constantly. I didn’t have a single moment to myself, and it was rather infuriating. I wanted time to grieve to myself. I wanted some time alone, just to collect my thoughts, and to plot out my next move. I didn’t know what I was going to do. My mother was dead. My father was dead. I had no siblings to lean on. I guess that Max was only trying to be there for me, and for that, I was thankful. I loved Max; he was the best friend I ever had.

The more I thought about it, the more real it became. I was never going to see my mom again. I was never going to hear her voice telling me that she loved me. She was gone and Rodney had taken her from me. Over something totally stupid, now that I thought about it; she died because I wouldn’t go with Rodney. I knew that I should have left Rodney. He was a horrible person. I shuddered at the memories of the countless arguments that ended with his hand across my cheek. Max had pleaded with me to ditch him, but I couldn’t. I was a coward. I was too afraid to leave him because I was afraid that no one else would want me. Now my cowardice had cost me the only person I held near to my heart. And I was to blame.

I was sitting on the couch in the living room, watching television, when a knock at the door sounded through the house. I got up and answered it. I was prepared to see Max standing on the other side of the door, but to my surprise, it was Jacky. He was wearing a black Poison t-shirt and jeans. He was holding a small potted plant.

“Hey Jacky, what are you doing here?” I asked. “And why are you holding a plant?”

“I just wanted to, you know, see how you were doing.” He replied.

I stood aside to let him. He handed me the plant and stepped inside. I closed the door behind him and looked around.

“Nice little flat Max picked out. It’s very homey.” He said.

I smiled and set the plant on the coffee table and took a seat on the couch. I motioned for Jacky to sit down. He walked over to the loveseat and sat down.

“Why did you bring a plant?” I asked.

“I don’t know. I figured it would be a good house warming gift.” Jacky said.

“Well, thank you. It was very thoughtful.” I said. I didn’t know what to say to him. It was odd being able to speak to him without Max around. When I was in the hospital, I barely had the chance to say anything to him. I was grateful to him for saving my life, and yet, I couldn’t think of a single thing to say to the man. Jacky’s attention turned towards the television. I had forgotten that the TV was on. I glanced at the screen and tried to focus on the movie I had been watching. It was one of my favorites, “The Rocky Horror Picture Show”. It was at the part where Eddie was breaking out of the freezer on his motorcycle, singing one of my favorite songs on the movie, “Hot Patootie Bless My Soul”. My attention somehow went back to Jacky. He was humming along to the music. I laughed silently to myself; I hadn’t pegged him as a Rocky Horror fan. He was leaning against the arm of the loveseat, with his legs resting off to the side. He looked really comfortable. I stood up.

“Would you like anything to drink?” I asked. Jacky’s attention snapped from the screen back to me.

“Uh… sure.” He said.

“All I have is Coke, is that okay?” I asked him. Jacky nodded and turned back to the TV. I went into the kitchen and got two Cokes out of the refrigerator and pulled out two glasses from the cabinet. After putting ice in both glasses, I poured the soda into each of them. I came back into the living room and handed one to Jacky.

“Thanks,” he smiled, taking a sip. He set his glass on the table and looked back at the TV. I racked my brain for something to say. I wanted to fill the silence between us. I didn’t understand why it was so important to me that I talk to him.

“So… who’s your favorite character in this movie?” I asked.

“Oh… um… Brad, I guess.” He replied.

“Mine is Columbia. I love her burlesque dancer style. I’ve always liked burlesque. In fact, that’s the title of one of my favorite movies.” I said. I mentally kicked myself for babbling.

“I’ve never seen ‘Burlesque’.” Jacky said. “I’ve seen some burlesque shows though.” He laughed a bit and took another sip from his drink. I did the same, just so I had something to do with my hands. I shifted my eyes back to the TV screen and watched as Janet seduced Rocky by singing “Touch-a, Touch-a Touch Me”.

“So, where’s Max?” Jacky asked all of a sudden. “I figured he would be here by now.”

“I think he’s visiting his brothers or doing something with the band. Though, that hasn’t stopped him from texting me every hour on the hour.” I said with an annoyed tone in my voice. “He makes me feel like I’m a child. I can’t leave the fucking house without him knowing why or where I’m going.”

Jacky gave me a sympathetic look. “Well, do you want to come over to my house for a while? Meet the guys? Get out of here?” He asked. I smiled widely and nodded. I stood up and grabbed my keys and cell phone. Jacky lead the way to the door. We left the apartment, got into his car, and drove off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally! It's finished. There were so many things that got into the way of this update, as enjoy. It's a tiny bit fillerish, but the next one should be better.

Comment? Subscibe? Enjoy?