Status: Active

Dear Fate

Fifteen

"Where could she have gotten too?" Olivia asked, not even bothering to throw in the insult that was usually on the tip of her tongue.

"I don't know. But she wouldn't have gone far, right? I'm sure she probably just went to the promenade to clear her head," Tommy replied.

"Unless she got snatched by that vile man," Olivia snarled, looking around the darkened deck.

"I am sure she is fine. Perhaps she went to visit that officer of hers?" Tommy suggested, trying to calm the girl in front of him.

"Yes, that is a good idea. She mentioned something about him being on duty this evening, so we should check the bridge," Olivia said, striding off in the direction of the bridge.

"I'll just stand back here while you ask," Tommy said, standing back a ways.

"Yes, good idea," Olivia replied.

She walked confidently to the bridge and stopped at the nearest officer.

"Excuse me, sir, but could you fetch Officer Moody for me? It is a matter of deepest urgency," she said.

"Uh, yes, of course, wait one moment," he stumbled, walking off to find him.

She had barely waited a minute when the two men reappeared.

"Ah, Miss Hamilton, what can I do for you?" Officer Moody asked, the shock of seeing her evident on his face.

"I would like to know if you have seen my maid, Holly. She stormed off quite some time ago, and I am rather worried about her," Olivia replied.

"Yes, she was here just a few minutes ago. Harry here just got back from returning her to your suite," he responded.

"She has returned to the suite?" Olivia clarified.

"Yes. I just saw her to your cabin, ma'am," the other officer, Harry, assured her.

"Alright then. Thank you, that will be all," Olivia turned to leave.

"Miss Hamilton, if I may be so bold as to ask, what happened to Holly?"

Olivia slowly turned back to face Officer Moody. It seemed as if the answer to all her worry had arrived.

"She was hit, good sirs, by a man called Michael Haim. He is a pursuer of mine, though by no means is his affections returned by me. I'm afraid young Holly tried to defend my honor against him, and he did not take lightly to her instructions to leave me alone," Olivia explained, adding a bit of a dramatic tone to her voice, though it was apparently not needed by the look on Officer Moody's face.

"Michael Haim, did you say? Not Allan Haim's son, surely?" Harry asked incredulously.

"I am afraid so, sir. He does not seem to understand that I am betrothed to another and have no desire to entertain him any longer," Olivia said.

"Did you- did you see this happen?" Officer Moody asked quietly.

"I didn't see it, but I was in the other room and I heard the altercation take place. I assure you, if you go to the master-at-arms, I will be able to explain what happened," Olivia added.

"I don't know if that would be enough. Mr. Haim is a very powerful man, and hitting a maid isn't really enough to get his son into too much trouble," Harry said, looking between the two of them.

"Yes, but what if I said I felt threatened by him?" Olivia ventured.

"Are you?" Harry asked, surprise on his face.

"Well if I wasn't before I surely am now! He assaulted my maid and he forced himself into my suite!" Olivia exclaimed.

"That would probably work. It would keep him occupied enough until the ship docks, which would keep Holly safe and then after that, she'll have you there to protect her, eh, Jamie?" Harry asked, bumping Officer Moody's shoulder with his own.

"That actually sounds like a good plan. As I am still on duty, will you accompany Miss Hamilton to the master-at-arms, Harry?" Officer Moody asked.

"Of course. Milady?" Harry asked, offering his arm to Olivia.

She looped her arm through his and they made their way out of the bridge and along the deck. She saw Tommy standing off to the side, in the shadows, and she was positive that if she hadn't already know where he would be, she wouldn't have seen him, so she wasn't worried about Harry seeing him.

'Follow,' she mouthed at him discreetly.

He dipped his head, which she took as a nod, and she and the officer continued on.

"I am sorry, sir, but I fear I don't know your proper title," Olivia said, looking up at the officer.

"Oh, I am Fifth Officer Harold Lowe. But Harry is fine," he replied, glancing down at her.

"You seem like you care for my maid as well, Harry," she said, the informal title feeling foreign on her tongue.

"I guess you could say I do. She is a very sweet girl, and I know that Jamie is absolutely crazy about her. In the four years I've known him, I've never known him to get this way about a girl. Which must mean she is special," Harry explained.

"Are you and Officer Moody close?" Olivia asked. She peeked behind her to see Tommy following discreetly.

"Yeah. I guess you could say we were like best friends," Harry replied.

"Well, as long as he is good to Holly, I have nothing but approval for their relationship. Not that it would matter if I approved or not, as Holly is free to choose whomever she wants, but I really do like him for her," Olivia said.

He smiled at her and they continued on in a comfortable silence. When they reached the master-at-arms office, Harry turned to her.

"Now, I don't mean to question your integrity, Miss, but you are quite certain that everything you've told us is true?"

"Of course it is! I'm not going to lie!" Olivia exclaimed, slightly offended.

"I just wanted to make sure. This is a very powerful man you are taking on, and there is no turning back after this," he replied.

Harry dropped her arm and knocked on the door. It opened a crack and they could make out an eye staring back at them. After a second the door opened wider and they saw a boy of about 14.

"Excuse me lad, but could you bring us the master-at-arms?" Harry asked politely.

"He is in the lounge with the other gentleman. Shall I run and fetch him?" the boy asked, his voice cracking slightly from puberty.

"Yes please. Tell him a Miss Olivia Mae Hamilton is waiting for him. He will know who I am," Olivia said.

"Would you like to come in and wait?" the boy asked, opening the door wider.

"Thank you," Olivia strode in and perched herself daintily on the chair. Harry followed at a slower pace.

"Would you like to come in too, sir?" the boy asked someone in the hall.

"Oh, um, well-"

Olivia panicked slightly at the voice of Tommy, but decided she could use another witness.

"Ah, Mr. Ryan, there you are! Come in, won't you?" she called out.

Harry shot her a confused look as Tommy walked in, looking nervously at the man in front of him.

"Mr. Ryan was returning something to me earlier in the evening when the altercation occurred. As soon as Holly stormed off, I immediately sent for him to help me find her," Olivia lied to Harry.

Harry nodded his understanding and smiled at Tommy.

"Harry Lowe," he introduced himself, holding out his hand.

"Tommy Ryan," the Irish man replied, nervously shaking the officer's hand.

Olivia sighed inwardly in relief, pleased that her lie had worked.

"Where were you when it happened?" Harry asked Tommy curiously.

"I-uh-was in the bedroom as well. We felt it might look bad if I was in the suite at all and that Mr. Haim might not understand, as he is clearly unstable," Tommy replied.

"Ah, yes. He does sound a bit like a stalker," Harry tossed a glance at Olivia.

They sat in a rather awkward silence, Olivia and Tommy passing glances secretly back and forth, and Harry looking around the office in interest. He was standing at a cabinet filled with keys when the master-at-arms walked in. He was an older man, with a large walrus mustache.

"Ah, Miss Olivia Mae, I was wondering when I would see you!" he exclaimed loudly, and perhaps a bit drunk.

"And what is that supposed to mean? You've been expecting for me to get in trouble?" she laughed lightly, going up and giving the large man a hug and peck on the cheek.

"Oh of course not. You never were one to get in trouble. You could talk your way out of anything, even when you were eight. My, how you have grown," the master-at-arms said.

"Yes, father says he misses your weekly poker nights. Hasn't been the same without them. I can see why," Olivia replied, laying on the charm thick.

"Oh stop it, you. Now, what can I do for you?" he asked.

"Not on my own terms, I fear. While I had been meaning to come down and see one of my father's oldest friends, I'm afraid that it is unfortunate circumstances that I am here. I have a stalker, and a rather fearsome one at that. He has been following me since I got on the ship, and while I thought to entertain him until the ship docked, tonight he assaulted my maid. You remember Holly, don't you?" she asked.

"That little tiny girl? Didn't really say much?" he asked.

"The very same girl. He forced himself into our suite and struck her when she tried to defend me. If I wasn't so frozen in fear, I would have run to her aid, but alas, I am not that strong. Now he has these delusions in his head and I am afraid it is my doing for leading him on," she left off a sob, covering her face in her hands.

Both Tommy and Harry looked on in amazement as the master-at-arms bent down in front of her, patting her gently on the shoulder and assuring her that it wasn't her fault, that some people were just wired wrong.

"Who is this boy? I must go and have a chat with him, and then place him under arrest," the master-at-arms said.

"That's where it gets difficult. He is the son of Allan Haim, and I fear he won't go down easily," Olivia replied, looking up at him with shining eyes.

A look of shock briefly passed his face before a warm smile replaced it.

"Now don't you worry your pretty little head about it. I'll take care of it, don't you worry. Now how about you get these men here to return you to your cabin, and I'll get everything sorted out in the morning. Does that sound all right?" he asked.

"That sounds wonderful," she replied, sniffing slightly.

He pulled out his handkerchief and handed it to her, and then helped her to her feet. He walked her to the door, the other two men following behind them, and the three left the office. After walking several paces, Tommy turned to her.

"Why didn't you tell us you knew him?" he asked.

"I didn't. I figured he would know who I was as I am the daughter of a very powerful man. I had no idea that he actually did know me," Olivia replied, wiping underneath her eyes to remove the makeup.

"So all that stuff about poker nights and your father's oldest friend?" Harry asked.

"I made it up. I can't believe it actually worked, but I suppose a lot of people would fancy themselves as a friend of my father," Olivia smiled at both of them.

The two men looked at her in shock once more, before deciding it was probably best not to question it.

"Well, now that that is settled, we should get you back to your suite. I daresay the night has been tiring and I have to be up early for my shift," Harry said to Olivia, his drowsiness confirmed by a long yawn.

"I can walk her back up, if you'd like. That way you can go ahead and get to bed. We still have to work out the terms of my reward for bringing back that lost item anyway," Tommy suggested.

Olivia gave him half a smirk before turning to Harry.

"That is perfectly fine. I wouldn't want you to be tired on duty tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it, and I know Holly will as well," Olivia replied, standing on her tiptoes and placing a kiss on Harry's cheek. He blushed slightly, mumbled a quiet "you're welcome," and headed off in the opposite direction, no doubt toward the officer's quarters.

"What a night," Tommy sighed, wrapping an arm around Olivia's shoulder once they were sure he was gone.

"Indeed. But now we have no more Michael Haim to worry about, and as Holly has returned to the suite, I guess that means she is willing to disembark with us. It seems that everything is working itself out," Olivia replied, leaning into him.