Status: Active

Dear Fate

Seven

Olivia entered the dining hall on the arm of the young Michael Haim. He had picked her up in her room, at 6:30 on the dot, just as promised.

"You look absolutely lovely, darling," he had said when he was led into the room by Holly.

"You look quite dashing yourself, Mr. Haim," she replied, smiling before accepting his arm and walking out of the room.

"Don't be gone too late tonight, Holly dear," she smirked, watching Holly roll her eyes but blush nevertheless.

"We will be joining the party over there, the big table in the middle," Michael said, pointing to the table filled with the people she usually dined with.

"Sounds lovely," she smiled.

He led her over to the table, where he began making introductions to the people she already knew. She didn't stop him though, as it would be very impolite to do so.

"And I don't believe we've met, good sir," he said, stopping a young man even Olivia didn't recognize.

"Ah, this is Jack Dawson, Michael. He is the third class boy who saved my Rose from going overboard last night," Mr. Hockley said.

Olivia inwardly gasped. It was the same blonde boy that had been with that Tommy last night, the one who had made that comment about cats and tongues. She honestly hadn't recognized him all dressed up. He had apparently recognized her, though, by the smirk that was on his face. It wasn't all that unpleasant of a smirk though, more of a knowing smile.

She sat down in the seat offered to her by Michael, who was on her left while Mr. Dawson was seated on her right. She made sure to scoot her seat unnoticeably to the left, away from him. She knew how those third class men could be and wouldn't be surprised if he could steal the diamonds right out of her bracelet while she was wearing it without her being any the wiser.

"Tell us of the accommodations in steerage, Mr. Dawson. I hear they're quite good on this ship," Mrs. Dewitt Bukater asked after everyone was seated and situated.

Mr. Dawson froze for a second, looking slightly offended, before answering with a smile.

"The best I've seen, Ma'am. Hardly any rats."

Olivia was appalled for a second before hearing other people laughing at the statement. She then realized it was a joke before adding in her little giggle.

She was briefly aware of Mr. Hockley explaining the situation as to why Mr. Dawson was present, before Rose butted in.

"It turns out Mr. Dawson is quite a fine artist. He was kind enough to show me some of his work today," she said.

"Rose and I differ somewhat in our definition of fine art, not to impugn your work, sir," Mr. Hockley stated politely.

Mr. Dawson did not respond, but waved his hand dismissively.

The caviar had made its way around, so Olivia took this time to divulge in a small helping. She watched as Mr. Dawson refused some and mention something about not liking it. Olivia was slightly shocked to see him refuse it, as he was poor and had probably never tried it anyway, and here he was passing up most likely the only opportunity he'd ever have to try it.

"And where exactly do you live, Mr. Dawson?" Mrs. Dewitt Bukater asked.

"Well, right now my address is the R.M.S. Titanic, after that I'm on God's good humor," he replied.

"And how is it you have means to travel?" she asked.

She seemed to be grilling him into embarrassment, and Olivia would agree and be joining in under any other circumstances, but for some reason she felt bad for the young Mr. Dawson. He generally seemed like a nice boy and did not seem to deserve this harsh treatment.

Olivia shook her head, trying to clear it of thoughts of pity for the boy beside her. He was friends with that Tommy Ryan and did not deserve her pity.

"And you find that sort of rootless existence appealing, do you?" Mrs. Dewitt Bukater asked. Anyone could hear her condescending tone.

Mr. Dawson looked slightly embarrassed at this, but continued nevertheless.

"Well, yes, ma'am, I do. I mean, I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count," he replied.

Olivia was slightly impressed by his outlook on life. Although not said very eloquently, he had the entire table, minus Mrs. Dewitt Bukater and Mr. Hockley, completely captivated.

"To making it count," Rose smiled, holding her glass up.

"To make it count," the rest of the table said in unison, besides of course Mrs. Dewitt Bukater and Mr. Hockley again.

The rest of the dinner went rather uneventfully for Olivia, and she was bored fairly quickly. She listened to the rest of the people talk, generally asking questions to seem interested and making comments here and there. Molly Brown had just finished a rather funny story about her husband burning some of their hidden money in the stove when Col. Archibald Gracie stood up.

"Join me in a brandy, gentlemen?" he asked.

"Would you like me to escort you back to your suite, Miss Olivia Mae?" Mr. Haim asked politely.

"I would very much appreciate that," she replied, smiling and taking his out stretched hand.

"It was very nice to meet you, Mr. Dawson. I rather enjoyed your company tonight, sir," she smiled, touching him on the shoulder lightly.

"And you as well, Miss," he smiled that same knowing smile up at her, and took her handing, kissing it quickly before standing up himself.

She hooked her arm through Mr. Haim's and they made their way out of the dining parlor and towards her suite.

They made general small talk until they reached her door.

"I enjoyed your company tonight, Miss," he smiled that charming grin.

"I enjoyed yours as well. Perhaps we can meet again? I would be much obliged if you could escort me to church services in the morning," she replied sweetly.

"I shall be here at 9:45 on the dot," he smiled, giving her hand one last kiss, before turning and disappearing down the hallway.

She sighed as she opened the door and slid into her room.