Status: Postponed for right now.

The Chosen

Control

My hand trembled like a leaf as I paced away from that God forsaken office. My temper was spiking, white hot coals as I forced myself to calm down. The tendons in my neck were taut, my eyes skewering everything around me. I knew if I thought something wrong, my actions would proceed them for me. Even if I didn’t agree with the Headmistress, that didn’t mean she needed to be harmed because of it.

I breathed rhythmically through my nose, my demeanor turning less vengeful, more rational. My emotions have always been trying to get the better of me, and most of the time they won. There were days when I was a child I would unintentionally injure my parents when they didn’t give me what I wanted. I watched them scream in pain as my selfish anger won out over me. I could still feel the consuming guilt over it, a permanent frown appear on my face, my shoulders slouching with remorse. It wasn’t something I ever wanted to repeat.

I was headed toward my dorm room – one I shared by myself, of course, out of courtesy more than anything else. I technically had class at this point in the day, but for the sake of my classmates, I thought it’d be better if I wasn’t present just yet. The door in front of me unlocked itself as I watched the locks unseal themselves in my mind, and it swung open at my command. I entered my room, smelling the sage and lemongrass I always had burning as an incense. The smell of it calmed me as I remembered my room back at the Godrich mansion. The same fragrance I would wake up to.

I felt a tingling in my spine that told me there was someone talking about me. I got it very often – there was always gossip going around. I shrugged it off, but the voice that spoke it was oddly compelling to me. The deep, baritone intonation was one that I heard before, though, I couldn’t see an immediate distinction.

Sighing in contempt, I thought of a place I’d rather be right now. Aruba, perhaps. Or possibly the fjords of Norway. Or…my home. To see how my mother and father were doing. They were always busy, or so it seemed to me. Everyday they’d have business to attend to, or a meeting with a fellow Consul. In bitter reality, I had the inkling that they just wanted to forget about me.

Which was reasonable, I thought pragmatically. What would I have done if I had a daughter I loved but who could also harm me in less than a heartbeat if I said or did something wrong? I would tend to resist being around her, just in case. My limbs splayed out across my spacious bed, the ivory canopy concealing my form. No matter how I liked to dispel it, I was lonely. There was an ache in my soul that grew deeper every time a classmate in the halls would say something bitter about me, or when a teacher would shy away from my powers when I worked with them in class.

But I was Céline. I had to learn how to control this overwhelming feeling. If I couldn’t have strength within me, how will I ever be able to protect those around me? I will not give up what I have – the sacred powers I was blessed with. They were given to me for a reason.
♠ ♠ ♠
I will keep updating over the weekend - most likely.
Feedback is loved.
Lauren.