Times of Change Preview

Preview: Milan Lucic

Raina was trying to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner. She sat at the long table in the Horton’s dining room. Everyone was seated at the table. Nathan, his little daughter Evangeline, Lucille, Trenton who looked as grumpy to be there she did, Luca, Willow, her son Emmett, and across from her, Milan. There was an awkward silence in the room as they ate. Raina had had no choice but to come along for dinner. All of her kids were going and Nathan had invited her to stay the night with Emmett if they didn’t want to make the hour long ride back to Middleton. If only Milan wasn’t there. She looked up at him only to find him looking back. She quickly looked back down again at her plate and picked at her food.

The dinner seemed to go painfully slow. She listened to Lucille and Willow talk about college, Luca and Trenton discuss hockey, and Emmett and Evangeline fool around. Looking for any excuse to get away from Milan’s burning gaze she stood up, noticing Emmett had finished his food and said

“Let me take your plate,” she felt Milan watching her as she walked around the table and picked up Emmett’s plate. She walked out into the kitchen and felt the tense atmosphere disappear. She relaxed and went over to the sink and washed off Emmett’s plate. She put it in the dishwasher and went back into the dining room happy to see that dinner was over and the kids had left the table. Before Milan or Nathan could see her she left and went into the living room where Emmett and Evangeline were playing a card game. She sat down onto the couch and watched them shuffle the cards and play Go Fish. She found herself dozing off.

“Wanna play mom?” asked Emmett.

“No thanks buddy,” she said standing up. “I actually think I’m going to get ready for bed.” She walked slowly up the stairs and into the hallway of the second floor. She turned on the light in the bathroom and looked at her reflection. She had gotten dressed up for the thanksgiving dinner in a nice red knit sweater and a pair of nice jeans. She had done her hair and spent extra time on her makeup but her eyes looked tired. She quickly took a shower and got ready for bed. It was only 8:30 but she felt exhausted. She went into the guest room Nathan had set up for her and turned on the light and set up the bed. As she was pulling back the comforter she heard someone come into the room. She expected to see one of her kids standing there but was shocked when she saw Milan there.

“What?” she said still surprised he was there.

“I need to talk to you,” said Milan. She desperately wanted to take him back and let him in but instead she said angrily

“What do you want?” He walked into the room and she took a step back.

“I’ve been thinking a lot about you lately,” he said “With all the time we’ve seen each other these past few weeks.” Raina saw the softened sad look in his eyes but couldn’t let herself give in. There was a reason why they had drawn up divorce papers. They were just waiting out the thirty day period before things could become official. What had changed in him that made him suddenly want her back? Only weeks ago they both had mutually hated each other.

“Milan please leave,” she said trying to remain serious and not show her own sadness.

“There’s still time to reverse-” Raina didn’t want to hear it and cut him off.

“No there’s not, what’s done is done. We both wanted this and I’m not backing out of it. There is a reason we’re getting this divorce Milan.”

“That’s all over, we’d be better if you gave it another chance.” It was hard for her to open her mouth again and say

“I can’t, it’s all over Milan, and it’s been over.”