Times of Change Preview

Preview: Nathan Horton

Evangeline walked upstairs, headed to her bedroom. She had been downstairs playing dolls but she was missing a few and had to get them from her toy chest. As she walked by her father’s room something caught her eye. She backed up and walked into his room to see boxed everywhere. She knew he had been cleaning stuff out from the attic. There were several boxes stacked up on his bed. Curiosity overcame her and she wanted to explore. She went over to the high bed and tried to pull herself up. Being small for five years old she struggled to climb up and just managed to pull herself over and onto it.

She pulled open the first box and was disappointed to only find some old baby toys from when she was really little. Determined to find something interesting she went over to another box and pulled the top open. Inside she found a large leather bound book. On the front, in big gold letters it said Photo Album. It looked old and was very big. Excited she tried to lift it and found it was far too heavy. She tipped the box over towards her so the book would fall out in front of her but the box accidentally flipped the other way and the book went onto the floor. Worried her dad had heard it hit the floor she listened for his footsteps on the stairs but heard nothing.

She hopped down from the bed and sat down on the floor and pulled open the thick book. There were four pictures on the first page. All of them looked like pictures of her dad from when he was much younger. She flipped the page and opened up to two very familiar photos her dad had shown her. They were of her mom and her dad together. The first one was a self taken photo of the two smiling with their heads close together. The next was a photo of them kissing.

Evangeline looked at her mother’s face and wished she had known who she had been. She had never met the woman who was supposed to be one of the most significant people in her life. She felt an overwhelming sadness crash over her. It wasn’t fair. Everyone else at school had a mom. A few tears rolled down her face and plopped onto the pictures. She wondered if there were any other pictures of her mother and father. She turned the page and was confused by what she saw.

There were six photos all crowded onto the same page of her father and a woman she didn’t know. They were clearly wedding pictures. Her father was wearing a white tux and the woman, who was a pretty blonde, was in a white dress. He and the woman were hugging in some pictures and kissing in another. Evangeline felt confused. Who was she? Her father had told her he hadn’t been with anyone but her mom. Feeling angry she turned the next page and found more pictures of her father with the woman. Except this time there was a little blonde boy in the pictures with them. It definitely wasn’t her older brother Trenton. Who were these people? She jumped in surprise when she heard someone enter the room and say

“What are you doing?!” She looked up to see her father standing in the doorway with a shocked and devastated look on his face. His gaze was not on her but on the album book, open and revealing all of the secrets he hadn’t wanted his five year old daughter to discover.