Two Worlds

The Change

"You're for real?" Amanda asked me as we were sitting around in the backyard watching Dad putting put a fence around the entire house.

I nodded my head.

I actually told Amanda the entire story, because she saw me disappear into the doorway along with Scott But she wasn't there when I came back because she had to go back home. She crossed her arms, "Wow. That's why you're so in love with Duke Robert."

"I am not... in love... with him. I just... The thing takes me particularly to him."

She shrugged, "Who knows. Maybe you two are destined for each other."

"I really don't think that I am destined for a man who lives in 1902."

"Maddy... Think about it. He's handsome... He's super gorgeous... And he's a Duke. And plus, you said he was a nice guy... No sparks at all?"

I pouted my mouth, "There can't be sparks because it's 1902! I'm only there to help Elizabeth."

"Good." Amanda said sighing. "I just want you to keep reminding yourself... No matter how handsome, how royal, how good, how rich he is... He still lives in that century. It can't happen."

Why was everyone annoying me by saying that?

I sighed and nodded my head. Amanda continued, "If... Just saying if... If you could choose, which side would you live on?"

"What do you mean?"

"If the passage had a choice for you to choose from. Would you choose to live in the 20th century with Duke Robert... or would you choose to live in the 21st along with us?"

I gulped, but stayed quiet.

I never thought about staying there.

But I also didn't want to stop going back either.

I don't know.

I shrugged, "I don't know. I never really put any thought into it." She smiled, "Remember when I told you that Duke Robert was the unique one and found his true love. Do you have of any idea who it is?"

I shook my head, "Not yet. But I will let you in that I do not want it to be Elizabeth."

She smirked, "You mean... you'd rather have it be someone else. Some other girl?"

"I'd rather not have him like any girl, thank you very much."

"Huh. Jealous over Duke Robby?"

"I am not jealous!" I exclaimed. She slightly smiled, "Well... In his diary, it seems like he thinks you're absolutely gorgeous and fascinating. So... I'm sure you've got nothing to be jealous about yet."

I smiled and hit her arm. The guy who was doing our fence, dug into the grass in our backyard and something electrified him.

Dad ran up to him and grabbed his arm, "Hey... You okay?"

"Huh. I can't seem to dig into this part of the grass. It shocks me every time."

He used one of those huge electric shoveling things to dig into the ground, but it wouldn't let him. I just kept looking.

"Let me try one more time."

He turned it on and dug into it one more time, and this time I heard it electrify him. He stood back quickly and his hands were bleeding. Amanda stood up and we both looked at his hand that was oozing with blood.

Dad sighed, "Let's not start from over here. Let's start from a different place. It will be much better."

I looked at Amanda who squinted her mouth, "I'll go get ice from your fridge."

I nodded then sat back down.

I sighed to myself.

Usually, I don't really think about any guys this way... But why couldn't I stop thinking about Robby.

-->

On Monday at school, Riley and I ran into each other in the hallway. He waved at me and then came up with me to my locker. He started, "How are you feeling after Saturday night? Still hungover?"

I smiled, "Oh no. I'm way past that."

I could not stop thinking about Duke Richard every time I see Riley now. His outfit just appeared in my head. Why would we met? It had to mean something. I started, "You're a history dude, right? You know a lot about history."

"Well... You do know I want to be a history professor at University of Oxford, right?... Why?"

I sighed, "I wanted to know... If you knew another one of King Edward's nephews." I looked around and pretended like I didn't know his name, "Um... Duke... What was his name? Duke... Randall... No... I think, Duke..."

"Richard?"

"Yeah! Duke Richard!" I exclaimed. He slightly stood back and I continued, "Do you know who he is?"

He smirked, "Why do you ask about him?"

"Umm... I just thought he was another handsome guy in history."

He smiled as I took Robby's diary out of my backpack to place it in my locker. Riley was eying it like crazy. I only watched him from the corner of my eye.

"You still carry that thing around?" He started asking. I picked it up again and smiled, "It's pretty cool. The handwriting inside of me is intensively cursive. I love it."

"May I see it?" He asked holding his hand out. After two seconds, the bell rang and I placed it back in my backpack. "Maybe some other time."

When I waved at him and walked away, I heard, "Madison!"

I turned back around and grinned. He came up to me and started, "I want to take you out."

"Take... me out?" I asked lifting my backpack over my shoulders. He nodded quickly, "Yeah... Like on a date."

Okay, suddenly and very randomly just asking me out.

That was very weird.

I nodded, "Sure."

He slightly frowned, "That easy?" I smiled at him and shrugged, "Yeah. Why make it hard?... I'll see you later, Riley."

I did walk away and then when I walked to the door, Amanda was standing behind the lockers... Probably listening to everything.

She smiled, "I'm sure he'll be interested to know that he was a Duke in the royal family in his past life."

"Okay no. You can't spill any beans to him. I'm beginning to get a weird vibe around him and starting not to trust him too much. Whenever I mention my Duke to him, he acts like a completely different person. Like a ghost possessed him or something."

"Oh... Your Duke?" Amanda asked jokingly. I grinned, "You know what I mean."

"Actually, I really don't. Explain please."

I hit her arm as we went into class together.

-->

Friday afternoon, Amanda and I went to a mall outside of the town and she was shopping for a dress to wear to the Christmas dance at school.

"Do you think I would look better in black or white?" She asked as she was shuffling through the racks of dresses. I replied, "Definitely black. You have quite the edge."

"You're not going to look through dresses?"

I shook my head, "I'll probably wear my white dress. The one that has a slightly pink for bottom half."

She sighed, "Your body is too fascinating... You wear it so easily. Aren't you going to buy anything? I thought your father gave you a credit card."

"The credit card is his money. It's only my name, but if I use it, it's like using his money."

"Isn't that the cool part? You can buy anything but you're not paying."

"No... I'm only using the card for emergencies. I don't wanna use to much of his money unless he gives stuff to me as a present."

She snickered, "You know... You are the most spoiled girl that I know... but yet, you are so... sweet to your father."

"I said I was spoiled... I didn't say I was a brat. There's a difference."

She laughed, "You're absolutely incredible, you know that, right?"

I winked at her and she smiled.

She began looking around and I sat down, taking out Robby's picture. I smiled looking at his picture.

He was dark, his height was about 6 foot tall [and the picture showed it], muscular, dark brown hair, gorgeous pair of green eyes, the most amazing and sincere smile. Is there more of a definition for perfect?

I then heard Amanda cough and I looked up... She started, "Do you miss him that much, that you have to admire and smile looking at his picture?"

She sat down next to me and continued, "I'm sure he's not doing anything right now with his servant."

I glared at her and sighed, "I feel like... He's so close to me. He's right there, always on the other side of the door... It takes two seconds to get to the other side and we meet. But when I'm back here, I just feel so distant from him."

"Of course you do. He's not alive when you're back here."

I smirked and she laughed, "I'm sure he's probably thinking about you right now like you're thinking about him."

I shrugged and sighed, "I don't know. I just... I would like to solve this entire thing. But I wonder what he's doing now. When will he write in his diary? Is he thinking about me? Does he hate me?"

"I'm sure he doesn't hate you, if he continues writing in order to see you. But... I'm sure he's thinking about you. I mean, is it every day that a gorgeous girl like you from the year 2011 pops into the year of 1902 from time to time. I'm sure he thinks about you a lot."

"I'm sure you're right about that."

"Do you think he has any feelings for you?" She asked. "How does he act when he's around you? He's polite, right?"

I nodded, "I don't know. I can't really tell. He's so polite and such a gentleman."

"Does he... Come in contact with you at all?"

I widened my eyes, "Yes. Almost all the time. At first, he was a little... reflected but now he's okay. He said he can make an exception with me, or something."

"Either that means he is thinking something about you or he sees your legs so that he can make an exception... It's hard to find girls who show their legs in that period."

I pouted my mouth at her and hit her arm.

I then exclaimed, "Hmm! I totally forgot to tell you. I met King Edward the Seventh... And he was creepy. Like he looked me at me up and down, and then kissed my hand. It was... horrid."

"Was there anyone else around?"

I shook my head, "Only Robby. But still, it was absolutely odd. He was old and balding and it was just plain creepy."

She sighed, "When you go back... You need to be very cautious of him. He's not the safest guy ever."

"I will... I will." I looked at her and joked, "I will have my protector, Duke Robbbyyyyy. He's amazing."

She rolled her eyes and pushed my head. "Promise me you'll be careful of King Edward and his nephew, Duke Richard. Okay? I'm worried."

I nodded my head, "So Duke Robert... He's not creepy at all?"

"The only thing I know is that he respected everyone in that palace. Even his servants."

"So I will have to be careful of those two guys. I will certainly do that. I gotta be careful of Riley too... He's starting to creep me out."

She stood up and coughed, "You said you can bring back anything to that century, right?"

"Just about."

She shuffled through a rack and pulled out a white t-shirt and jeans. She smiled, "If you guys have the free time... You should have him wear that. And take a picture for me. He would look so dang... sexy in that."

I cracked up laughing and took the outfit from her. I smiled, "He would look kinda cute."

"I know, right? And take a picture, will ya?"

I nodded and started playing on my phone. The game that I had Robby play was still displaying his very low score of 142. I laughed remembering that day and held his picture close to me. I was so afraid of losing it.

Oh my god... Duke Robby... Please write soon.

I really can't wait to see you again.

That night when I got home, I saw a note on the table and went to go read it. It was written, "To Maddy/Spencer. Matt had a soccer match in London and he's staying with his team til' Sunday evening. I am working til' Sunday as well, so I will wait for him and we will be back home by Sunday night. Have a good weekend sweetie. Love Dad and Matt."

I sighed and put the note back on the table and grabbed a glass of water. As I was drinking, I felt someone walk behind me then I turned around and saw no one.

They're here... Again?

I placed my water down and started, "Elizabeth... If you're here, can you just stay? You can obviously tell I am not afraid of you."

I heard soft footsteps around the living room and smiled. "Good... You're here."

"Listen... If I ever can ever help you... Which I will try and do... How will I know it will be the end?"

No answer.

Right... Kinda stupid asking a dead person questions.

"Right... I'm sure you can't answer. Umm... Well... If you can answer me someday. I want to know... Why can't you just tell me directly? Why can't you just show me what you need help with? Why did you have to make it complicated and bring me back in time and meet probably the most amazing guy."

Just then, Robby's picture fell out of the diary and slid to the refrigerator very quickly. I picked it up then stood up and then faced the picture magnet on my refrigerator.

I always had loved this picture ever since I bought in from America. It was a drawn heart and in the middle, it was written "Destiny" with a handwritten font.

I held Robby's picture and then looked back at the destiny picture.

Destiny.

I gulped once and smiled.

I shook my head, "Are you crazy? How is he... No... It can't be."

I got out scotch tape from the drawer then took out the "Destiny" picture magnet from the refrigerator. I then taped the two pictures together and smiled.

Okay...

I have to be honest.

Seeing Robby's picture next to a heart that has the word "destiny" inside of it... Was a pretty amazing feeling.

The night I went to sleep... I looked at the diary to see if there were any new entires... But there were none.

Come on... I am home alone... And have the time.

Why aren't you writing Duke... Whyyyyyyy?

At one in the morning, I went downstairs to the basement and sat on the floor in front of the doorway.

I am so desperate to go right now it's not even funny.

I waited...

Until two thirty in the morning.

So I gave up.

Fine... Don't write now.

I wish I didn't get a freaking headache every time I didn't go... I wish he could write, and I could just stay here so he can miss me or something.

I stood up and then placed my hands on the wall. I sighed, "Robby... If you can hear me... You probably don't miss me as much as I miss you, right?"

~ Duke Robert ~

I kept pulling my pen away from the pages. I wanted to see her so badly... but I don't want to waste another page.

The more it goes to waste, the more it will just go to an ending.

Not even a soul was in the palace today, except for my servants. It would be a good time to write...

I have counted the pages in this diary, and there are exactly one hundred. I have already wasted four pages and I feel horrid every time I write.

Maybe once more.

No.

I kept holding the pen in my hand then I looked at the doorway that Madison came through. I went towards it and placed my hands on it.

I smiled to myself... "I wish there could be a way to tell you that I terribly want to see you right now. But the more I write, the more our time goes to waste. The more you come, the more I never want you to leave. Why is our relationship so complicated?"

I wanted to figure out a way to go over to her world... without having to write anything.

~ End ~

I had fallen asleep in near the doorway at about three in the morning. Dad had placed a couch nearby the door, so I went to sleep on it... Seeing if it would call me.

Then again, Dad made the basement very less creepy. He placed a fridge, and a freezer, a ping pong table, a pool table, a bunch of book shelves...

But he didn't touch the shelf and the doorway like I said.

Except that particular door still gave me the creeps.

So yes, I fell asleep.

And before I did, I yelled at the doorway, "Fine... If you don't wanna see me, then fine."

So I woke up around three thirty and then went back upstairs to get a better sleep in my room. I looked at his diary one more time then fell back asleep.

I felt like I didn't sleep... Because I kept dozing off and waking up again. I felt like I heard someone walking around my room.

I whispered, "Are you calling for me now? When I sleep, really?"

The weird thing was... I felt someone getting on my bed. I blinked many times because I wasn't sure who it was.

I gulped once. I had my back turned, so I slowly turned around. I closed my eyes when I was fully turned and then when I slowly opened my eyes, my eyes widened.

Holy shit!

Robby!

"Ahhhhh!" I exclaimed, falling off my bed. And it hurt... so badly.

I got up again and scratched my eyes... I looked closely and got back on my bed.

Yeah, Robby was sitting there.

In his full Duke uniform.

I touched my face and breathed loudly... "How... What... When..."

He smiled, "Hello."

I looked around my room and then back at him. He just sat on my bed very still... I pointed at him, "Are you gonna do any explaining?"

He shrugged, "I didn't think you would be in fear when you saw me. You said you weren't afraid of anything."

"Well... When a person from 1902 is on my bed and you turn around and see them... Of course, I would be a bit startled."

He slightly chuckled and I widened my eyes, "Explanation? How are you here?"

He looked away and just crossed his arms.

This was annoying.

"Are you going to tell me?"

"I'll let you imagine the story yourself."

I clenched my teeth together and pointed at him, "You made me fall off my bed."

"Who can blame you? Your bed is small as my shoe closet."

I pouted my mouth, "Well... I'm not royal like you."

He looked around my room and he pointed at my television. "What is that?"

"Television. What you watch when you're bored..."

I grabbed the remote to the television and turned it on. He slightly jumped and smiled.

"Incredible." He stated. I smiled... I still couldn't believe it. He was here. In my century.

On my bed.

Which was the interesting part.

I coughed, "So... when are you gonna explain?"

"Explain what?"

"How'd... You... Get... Here..." I repeated myself slowly. He slightly stood back and leaned against my bed. He blinked a few times then smiled... "I wanted to see you."

I sat still sitting across from him and tried to control my smiling.

"So why didn't you write?"

"I didn't want to waste the paper. The more I write, the more it comes to an end. The more you come, the more I never want you to leave the palace."

I sat frozen.

Did he just really say that?

"Don't want me to leave...?"

He grabbed my hand and smiled, "I miss you... Every time you're gone... I never stop thinking about you."

We met eyes and I smiled. I slightly shrugged a little shy. I pulled my bangs out of the way and he looked down on my face.

He started coming closer and closer to me... but I didn't pull away. Our noses touched and then before I knew it, I shot up like a bullet from my bed from my very loud alarm clock and saw it was nine in the morning.

Saturday morning... At eight.

I panted loudly...

Wait... Robby.

"That was a dream?!"

I jumped back down and groaned... Why was that a dream?

I thought he missed me enough to actually come to see me.

Well, this stinks.