Two Worlds

The Risk

"So... How's life in the palace?" Amanda asked me as we were eating lunch. I sighed, "Amazingly great."

"How's your Duke doing?"

I smirked and then thought about Robby. His amazingness was just absolutely adorably amazing. I then went closer to her face and sighed, "Just... Wonderful."

She sat back then started, "Maddy... I need to apologize."

"Apologize for what?"

She sighed, "I feel like... You're not doing what you want when you go back. I'm sure you and Duke Robert have so much feelings for each other... And you're holding it back, so much. Because of what your family and I said. About, how you can't have feelings for him."

I just smiled at her, not arguing back... I then replied, "Nah. You don't have to apologize for that. You guys are all right... I can never be with him. We're way too different."

"He likes you, doesn't he?"

I slowly nodded my head and then she continued, "And you like him. If the two of you have feelings for each other... Then I don't think your family and I can get in the way of that. Make the best of it, Madison. I am positive it will make the two of you happier."

I just smiled at her and stayed quiet. And then she continued, "And plus... Makes going back there a wonderful time if your boyfriend is a Duke... Heh heh."

I smirked at her and then reached out to hit her on the shoulders. I sat back and crossed my arms, looking around the cafeteria. Riley caught my attention when he was walking back towards his group of soccer friends and sat down. When we met eyes, he waved at me and I just waved back.

"Speaking of Duke Robert..." Amanda began, "Did you get anything more on Duke Richard?"

"Not really... It's getting worse and worse with Duke Richard. He's afraid that Robby and I will ruin his Uncle's plan, so he's on like a major look out for us. He also caught me when I was coming in through the wall."

"He did?!"

I nodded my head slowly and she continued, "Well... What did he say? He must've suspected something if you came out of the wall."

"He knows I'm from somewhere weird, but he can't figure it out yet. So the two of us... Need to be extra careful."

We both looked over at Riley and I was still angry with Duke Richard for being such a pervert. I feel so bad that Riley had to have his spirit still wandering around. He was such a nice guy without the spirit.

Speaking about the spirit, how the heck was I going to get it out?

Then Amanda asked, "Maddy. Are you really going to risk talking about Duke Robert with Riley again?"

"It's probably the only way that I can get an answer. If I know what I did to him in that century, maybe I can change it. Like what Elizabeth wants me to help her with."

"Hmm... They're spirits in your house... That must mean they died in your house, right?"

"Yes..."

"So they need help... I wanna guess that this wasn't just a regular old age dying. I used to read that King Edward the seventh was a very creepy guy who basically tortured his mistresses. Did King Edward kill them?"

Holy crap.

A lightbulb just flashed in my head.

King Edward.

I thought about Elizabeth, Amelia and Valeria echoing help me multiple times. Amanda was totally right... It couldn't have just been dying of old age in a house that they didn't wanna stay in. It had to be so much more than that.

Amanda continued, "Are their spirits expecting you to change history?"

"Change history of them not dying? I feel like it's too little. I mean, I've gone all the way back in time just to help them with not dying?" I replied. She sighed, "What else could there be?"

"King Edward tortured his mistresses... Is it possible they want me to help them with that? To help them from not being tortured."

She pointed at me, then replied, "No no. King Edward the seventh was known as an amazing king and yes... He slightly tortured his mistresses but he wasn't known for that. He was also the Emperor of India so that makes him even more powerful. Maybe that Elizabeth of yours wants him to get punished."

I groaned loudly, closing my eyes... "It seriously could be everything."

"Time will answer all the questions you have." She answered. "All I know... Is the answer to your heart."

"What's that?"

"That right now, your heart only has Duke Robert."

This girl was too smart.

-->

During gym class, I was figuring out ways to get Duke Richard's spirit back into Riley's body. Do I just start with, "Yo... I love Duke Robert..."?

That would just be weird... And awkward.

I thought about the last time we had talked about Duke Robert and he got majorly pissed off. I was afraid that was going to happen again. But like I said, I had to risk it.

When we were sitting on the bleachers, Amanda tapped me very hard and started, "How could I completely forget to tell you about this? I got accepted to University of Cambridge!"

My eyes widened at her and I exclaimed, "That's wonderful! Congratulations!" Also giving her a slight hug. She shook her legs and then I saw Riley sit down next to her, "Aye. So did I."

My smile grew smaller but I still smiled at him, giving him a hi five. "Good job." I stated. Then Amanda started, "So are you going to apply anytime soon? I saw that brochure sitting at your house the other day."

"When?" I asked puzzled.

She squinted her mouth and replied, "Hmm... I went over to your house on Saturday to see if you were home... But you were apparently already back in time. So I saw the brochure around your house. So I thought you were interested in the college."

I shook my head, "It must be Scott then, not me."

"Mhm... It stated... The name was for Madison Spencer Anderson. Not Marcus Scott Anderson. It was yours."

I became very confused.

Really?

There was a letter from the University of Cambridge for me.

Why didn't Dad tell me?

I hadn't really thought about going to colleges yet, but I was looking into university of cambridge for their medical program. I squinted my mouth at Amanda and smiled, "I'll look into it."

"You should. You're the lucky one too, because you have enough credits to transfer into the post colleges here. And your grades are good. If the university wants you, you should take the advance to apply. You could get in easily."

I pouted my mouth at her and nodded, "Yeah. I'll look into that."

I then tapped Amanda's leg and mouthed very softly, "Duke Richard..."

Amanda slightly nodded at me then turned to Riley. She started by tapping Riley in the legs and smiled, "Riles. What course are you looking into?"

"Hmm, probably the same as you. A course in history. So I can be a professor at the university."

I just nodded and then Amanda slowly pinched my legs... "Hmm... Speaking of history, I haven't heard you talk about your Duke Robert for so long."

My eyes slightly grew big at her, but I was smiling on the inside. I blinked multiple times before answering and shrugged, "Nah. Still interested. It's hard to find a handsome Duke like that in the old times. So... Gorgeous. How can I ever forget about him?"

I then wandered my eyes towards Riley, who looked like he was beginning to get heated. Huh, this was go according to plan so far. But I didn't want his outrage to be in front of a lot of people. I stood up and sighed, "I'll be back. I just have to go to the bathroom."

I winked at Amanda to indicate to keep talking about Duke Robert to Riley, then went down the bleachers to ask the teacher if I could take a bathroom break. She just nodded at me and then I left the gymnasium.

I went to the bathroom to check myself in the mirror to see if I looked okay... And stalling the time if Amanda would be talking to Riley about Duke Robert even more. I walked back and forth in the bathroom for about five minutes.

I sat on the chair for another five minutes when I saw a shadow walk passed the doorway.

Was that Riley?

Was he already here?

I sighed loudly and closed my eyes. "No matter how risky, this is the only way that you can possibly get the answer."

I breathed heavily again, "Fight, Spencer, Fight."

I got out my phone and texted Amanda quickly, asking, "Hey. Did he leave the gymnasium?"

After thirty seconds, I got a reply back saying, "Yeah. He left the gymnasium like five minutes after you did. And he looks pissed. Will you be okay?"

"Okay. I just saw someone walk passed the bathroom, I think it's him. But make sure to be on the lookout. I don't know how high his level of madness will be this time." I replied back. After a few seconds, I got back, "Okay. Will do."

I sighed once more and then walked out of the bathroom like nothing had happened. Then when the door shut behind me, I felt someone grabbed my wrists and my heart started racing kind of quickly. I slightly turned around seeing Riley... but my attention went straight towards to his eyes.

Duke Richard was back in him.

Oh god, here we go.

"Riley... What's up?" I asked trying to act as normal as possible.

No reply.

I tried getting out of his grasp, but he kept holding onto me even harder. I began to breathe heavily but it was the only way I could do this.

"Duke Richard." I said confidently. He began smirking and Duke Richard was definitely back. That disturbing and mean face of his, was completely back. He replied, "You remember me."

"How can I not? You are the most perverted guy in the palace."

He just continued smiling, but he didn't let go of me. I asked, "What are you doing here?"

"I feel as though we've had this conversation before. I've followed you for many, many years."

I could feel my eyes grow into hatred right now and wanted to punch him. Punch Duke Richard for being the pervert he is. I sighed, "I feel like... You only follow me whenever I mention Duke Robert in a conversation."

His eyes widened at me and he began breathing heavily. He began chuckling, "That idiot... Brother of mine. I'm so bloody happy to see his grave in this world. It makes me smile from inside and out."

Oh my god.

This ass.

I tried getting out of his grasp but he still held onto me, very tightly. He then pulled me harder to make me walk with him but I stopped. "What are you doing?"

"You're coming with me."

He pulled me harder until I tripped onto him and he kept walking. We walked upstairs to to the hallway full of lockers and he pushed me in front of my locker. I blinked multiple times before asking, "What are we doing in front of my locker?"

"Open it."

"Why?"

"Just open it." He demanded.

He held onto to a piece of my skin on my hips and it hurt so badly right now, that I wanted to cry. "What if I don't?" I asked slowly. He began to laugh, "I have a weapon." Also, pulling out a jackknife from his pocket, "I'm not an idiot, Miss Madison."

He then grabbed my chin from behind and held the jackknife to my face, "And if you dare... To scream in these corridors, I am not able to promise that your face will be as beautiful as before."

My eyes widened and I pushed his hands off.

I slowly put in the combination to my locker and slowly open it. I asked, "What do you need from my locker?"

"Robert's diary."

I turned around to look at him, biting my lips, "No. Anything but that. Don't take Robby's diary."

"Robby." He smirked. "You guys are just so... close, that you have made nicknames for each other. Robby and Maddy... Absolutely adorable."

He reached his arm out in front of me quickly and grabbed the backpack from my locker. "This is it, right?" He zippered my backpack open and then took out the diary, throwing my backpack back into my locker.

He breathed heavily, "Come with me."

He pulled my wrist again, also shutting my locker softly and dragging me to a small corridor with a small door. He pushed me up against the wall and it hurt really badly. He slammed Robby's diary against the floor and then grabbed my face.

"Duke Richard, what are you doing?"

"Something that I've always wanted to do. But my bloody brother always got in the bloody way."

He leaned his face closer towards me, like he wanted to kiss me but I pushed him very hardly out of the way. I tried running but he pushed me up against the wall again. I felt like I was never getting out of here.

Before he came in again, I placed my hands on his chest stopping him from leaning in, "Duke Richard. What have I ever done to you to make me hate you so much?"

He pushed my arm that was preventing him very hardly, grabbing my face again. I turned my face away and his mouth went towards my neck, in which I was so disgusted by now. I manage to get my arm out of the way, grabbed his shoulders and kicked him...

Well...

In that area.

He shut his eyes, leaning away, which meant he was in pain. I grabbed his shoulders and asked, "Duke Richard. Answer me. What have I ever done to you to make you despise me so much?"

He grabbed my hands and pulled me down, "I've never despised nor hated you. I've always been in love with you. Ever since the first day I saw you, I have never stopped thinking about you. You are the woman that I truly love."

Okay... Not just a pervert but a cheesy pervert.

"If you did love me..." I started trying to talk with the same language. "Why did you sneak around with Amelia?"

He smiled, "Amelia came before you. If I had met you before Amelia, I wouldn't have had her."

"That still doesn't make you sincere. You lied to people in the palace. You tortured Amelia."

He now grabbed my shoulders as we were both sitting down and he said furiously, "Why did you choose Robert? Why?!"

"When did I choose him? I didn't choose anybody!"

"Yes, you did!"

"If I chose him, then why are you so mad?"

"I would have you go with Uncle, rather than Robert. Anyone but Robert!!" He exclaimed.

"Why?!" I exclaimed back and shaking his shoulders. He replied, "Because he had everything! Mother always loved him because he was the child that was born from love! I was the child that was born from rape! Everyone in school loved him! Everyone saw me as dirt while he was up there, being a God. Girls liked him... He was handsome, he was sincere, he was every single girl's dream... Not me! Father took him to his work days, Father never cared for me... All he cared for was that bloody brother of mine!!!"

"That's why you love your Uncle so much..." I whispered.

Duke Richard loved and supported his Uncle so much, because King Edward gave him his attention.

By giving him a girl.

That's why Duke Richard respected him so much?

Duke Richard actually began crying and shaking. I shook my head and held onto his shoulders, "Duke Richard... Do you have any idea, that Duke Robert... Didn't think that Prince Alfred even cared for him? He thought that his father wanted nothing to do with him. Duke Robert was the one who felt lonely. He even told me that after his mother died, he felt like he was left alone."

"My brother... Lonely? That's impossible... He always had you."

I shook my head in disbelief, "So... You felt like you had to respect your Uncle, because he gave you a girl to fool around with? This is unbelievable."

"Uncle cared for me."

"No... He didn't care for you. He was using you the entire time. He was using you to get to you to fool around with Amelia, so you could help him be another person to get her to his mistress house in Somerset."

He looked at me with shock and I sighed loudly, "Seriously. If I know any better, your Uncle does not love you. He only loves himself... He's just acting like he cares so he can live up to his satisfaction. Do you know my house right now is full of three innocent spirits that have possibly been killed by your Uncle?"

He still stayed quiet and I grabbed his hands, "Duke Richard. Believe me. Your Uncle was using you the entire time. He never loved or cared for you. As much as you think he's a great king and a great person, he never loved you. Believe it or not, your Brother cared for you more than your Uncle did."

He breathed heavily still looking at me with eyes of fury, and I continued. "I care for you... More than your Uncle ever did."

He smirked and shook his head, "If the two of you truly cared for me, you wouldn't have killed me and left me dying."

My eyes widened at him.

What did he just say?

"What?"

He grabbed onto my upper arms tightly again and he chuckled, "Did you forget my last words? The words I said as I was dying slowly on the road filled with blood. I screamed so loudly, I thought the entire world could hear."

I looked at him, so confused, puzzled, shock... And every word that can be found under the definition of surprised.

"I said... My life is not ending here, I am following you until I find you and I am not going to stop if I don't find you. Those were the last words I yelled out to you before I died on that exact road."

I killed him?

"Duke Richard... What did I do to you? Are you saying I killed you?"

"Are you honestly going to tell me that you don't remember?"

I shook my head slowly and I could tell he began getting heated.

"You and that bloody brother of mine, killed me. Killed every part of my body. Killed my soul and killed my heart. That is the day that I am never going to forget. The day that the woman that I loved the most and my bloody brother, pushed me in front of a moving carriage and a moving automobile."

My eyes widened at him. "Oh my god." I whispered. "I... I killed Duke Richard? I killed you?"

"Now you understand the hatred towards my bloody brother? The Brother that had to be perfect and who had everything going for him. He had to kill me!"

He pushed me against the wall again and got on top of me, "Now that my brother is dead, I can always get what I've wanted."

I began screaming to have him get off, pushing his back multiple times. My legs were moving up and down, trying to kick him off but he was too strong.

But I understood why he was mad.

I can't believe time met up with each other.

Apparently I killed him even though I had no idea what I did.

After a second, I saw Amanda come through into this small and tight corridor, grabbing her backpack and hitting him with it multiple times. I was finally out of his grasp and ran behind her. As she was hitting him, I tapped her arm, "I got the answer. Now how the heck do we get the spirit out?"

"Well, first." As she was still hitting him multiple times, "Whether it's Riley or that stupid Duke Richard, I am going to... Hurt you... Until... That stupid... Spirit... Gets out!!!"

She then punched him in the face and it seemed like he fainted.

Then we both stood back... and froze.

Amanda lifted her fist up and looked at her hand with a confused face, "Okay. I didn't punch him... that hard."

"I think he was out with the first fifty hits with your bag."

We both breathed heavily, when one of the teachers came through the corridor, running up to us. She grabbed my shoulders and began, "Madison. Are you alright?"

I nodded quickly, "I'm okay now. But..." I pointed down at Riley, who was still unconscious, and she nodded, "It's fine. Don't worry about him. We'll get him an ambulance."

Amanda pulled me out of the small corridor and she pulled my messy hair out of my face. I panted heavily and tried to catch my breath. Amanda grabbed my face, "Hey. Hey. It's fine. You're good... Breathe. Breathe. Breathe slowly."

I did as she said and calmed down little by little.

She let her hands go from my face and then grabbed my hands, "Did you get your answer?"

I nodded my head.

"I don't know if it's possible. But I don't think we have to go back to that Mr. Broenen dude."

"What do you mean?"

"If I can change something in history, then his spirit wouldn't have to hate me so much." I smiled. Amanda gave me a stunned face and I just tapped her on the shoulders. I then kissed her on the cheek and she shrieked softly, "Madison!"

"I love you!!! Thank you!" I said running off.

-->

I was home on a Saturday afternoon with Sam, watching television the entire time.

I wanted to go back really badly right now.

I did want to change the entire Duke Richard situation.

But I really just wanted to see Robby's face again.

I missed him a lot... Even though I had just seen him almost a week ago.

Ugh, what was wrong with me?

When was it ever me being bored in my own century? When did I start wanting to go back to 1902?

This was a problem.

A major problem.

Just then, Sam came up next to me, changing the channel. I smirked, "Hey... Lil' bro."

He didn't say anything, just watched the television. I chuckled and rubbed his head. He grabbed my hand and made me put my arms around his shoulders.

Okay, what was up with him today?

"Hey... Sammy... What's up? You're in a lovely brother mode today?"

He shook his head but still held onto my hand. I snickered and rubbed his head again with my fist.

He changed into a romantic movie where it was a scene of the girl and the guy staring at each other in the eyes. I just smiled and kept getting butterflies.

I always get butterflies when there's a cute scene in a movie.

That was another problem about me.

Then Sam started, "Does that happen when you go back in time?"

I shot my head back at him and smiled, "What?"

He finally looked at me and grinned at me, "Do you and Robby do that when you go back and see him?"

I grabbed his cheeks and he groaned. I replied, "Smarty pants. I don't go back and see him. I go back there to help three woman. Ghosts living in our house... Underrstaaandddd?"

"Spencer. I'm not gonna be like Dad and Scott saying that you have to come back every time you go. But I want you to lecture you on one thing. Whatever you choose in the end, I want you to know that this little brother is always going to look up to his big sister."

Tears automatically formed around my eyes after he said that. I hugged him closely to me and began crying, but not for him to see. I wiped the tears off my face with my other hand and sighed.

"This isn't a lecture. This is cheesy brother-sister moment."

He didn't let go of me and I tried smiling for him to see.

When he finally pulled away, he continued, "Well... You were already gone for one whole week and the house was so quiet without you. No Scott, no Spencer... Just Dad. It's lonely. So I wanted to let you know. But I'm not forcing you to stay with us. I just wanted to know that I support whatever you choose and I am just going to miss you."

I pouted my mouth at him and hugged him again.

"I love you, lil bro."

He smiled and hugged me back, "You'll visit, right? If you choose to go on that side."

As I hugged him, I cried more and more.

Right now, I loved my brother more than ever right now.

-->

I got woken up by the door opening after falling asleep on the couch with Sam at like six o'clock. I looked up at the clock which had it's long hand pointed at the eleven number.

I groaned before completely waking up, seeing Sam asleep on my lap. I looked up to see Dad and he waved at me, walking to the kitchen silently. I pulled Sam's hair out of the way and also bending down to kiss his forehead.

Chi.

He says he doesn't love me.

But he shows it.

He's amazing.

I heard "Psst" from the kitchen and turned around to see Dad leaning against the wall. He smiled, "Did you guys have a sibling moment?"

I nodded, "It was adorable. It's not everyday you see this one express his feelings for his sister."

Dad then went back to the kitchen to grab something and then came back up from behind me. He tapped me on the shoulders with a piece of thick paper, "This came in the mail for you."

I looked up seeing a brochure that said the University of Cambridge.

I took it and looked up at Dad.

Dad smiled, "It's not every day... An amazing university like this sends a bus ticket for them to visit your school."

"There's a bus ticket in here?!" I said excitingly.

Dad shrugged, "You did make it on the news when we were back in the states, remember? You're on the math and science club. During the math competition, you scored number one in the state and number six in the united states. For the science competition, you built a machine. You're a straight A student in England, transferable credits and your on the high honor roll. I'm sure they want you bad."

I smiled remembering everything.

Dad grabbed my shoulders, "I've always been proud of you, honey. You've always done good. Now, you're helping three innocent woman and you don't even know what you're going for. My daughter is truly an angel."

I grinned at him and closed my eyes. Dad continued, "Seriously. Look into the University. For a letter like this, it's 100% guaranteed that you're going to get accepted. I mean, a bus ticket... Your brother didn't even get that."

I slightly chuckled. Sam shifted a little and I tried not moving.

"You must be going back for a while the next time you go, right?"

"Probably. It's getting so close but there's so many things that's like an obstacle course getting in the way. It's frustrating."

"It can't always be perfect. Like your mom always said, if you choose to be a good person, you're choosing to face the consequences. You have to risk all those consequences, before you get good karma."

I smiled, "That's why Mom chose to be a good person, right?"

"That's why I loved your mother."

I squinted my mouth and pushed Dad. He went into the kitchen to get a glass of orange juice and then I started playing with my phone.

The pictures that I took from the palace was still there... Which was cool.

I still believe time met up with each other.

I began thinking about Duke Richard again. When he said that his brother and I pushed him in front of a moving carriage and a moving car. That he died a torturing death and that's why his spirit has been following me.

That's when something hit me again.

Robby's diary.

Robby's diary fell on the floor when Duke Richard's spirit possessed Riley. When Riley took it from my hands...

Where was I going to find it?