Two Worlds

The Puzzle

I still feared that someone was going to find me back in here. How was I going to explain where I came from?

I was obviously in a palace... and didn't the royal people live in palaces?

By the name of Duke Robert, I'm sure it was a royal name.

But... I don't know what a Duke is. If he saw me, how was I going to explain? I came from behind that wall over there... It's a doorway passage. That's so believable.

There was barely the line between the walls here. They would not believe me. And Duke Robert here seems very... strict... and demanding.

I was still behind the door, bending down... And could feel Mr. Duke here in front of the door. I tried moving to a more comfortable position but I slipped and I stepped on something, very sharp. "Ah crap!" I whispered softly. I looked through my sock and I was slightly bleeding.

Okay, that hurt... so badly.

Tears were automatically falling out of my eyes... and I felt the dude coming closer. Oh crap, maybe I had to take a run for it. I heard the sound of the wall... The same sound I heard when I saw the glow and the same sound I heard when I came here.

Maybe I had to go back.

I quickly ran softly down the stairs and I dropped something on the third step of the stairs. I looked back up and the door was opening further.

Crap. Crap. Crap!

The door fully opened and I hid behind the staircase on the side.

"Whose down there?"

I stayed quiet and stayed very calm.

Do not come down here, do not come down here.

But my watch... my watch! He had my watch... He had to know someone was in here. Maybe he'll think it's one of his servants... Oh my god. I saw the wall glowing in between the cracks so I went to it. It was shining very brightly so I touched my hand on the wall, and it flipped so fast I didn't even prepare for it.

A few seconds later, it pushed me back to my wall... and I was back in my basement. I looked back at the wall that had the slight line through it. Why wasn't it there when I was on the other side?

Where did this take me?

I scratched my head and went back upstairs. The book was laying on the shelf so I took it and brought it back to bed with me. I looked at the Duke's picture once more before going back to bed. I can't stop admiring how handsome he was... In the picture and in real life.

Dark green eyes eyes... Brown hair gelled up a little [Can't imagine how it's like when it's a little messy]... Very tall and very muscular. He didn't quite smile so I wouldn't know how he was. His nose was the perfect shape and everything about his face was perfect.

I looked down at the picture, and it seemed so old. But it was definitley him.

I went to the bathroom and saw Sam sleeping and smiled, "Must be tired from trying out."

I couldn't stop thinking about that doorway in the wall. Where the heck did it take me? How?

Was I ever going back again?

When I went downstairs the next morning, I actually went very happily because I had a great-night sleep.

Dad started, "Well... Look whose happy this morning."

I smiled and sat down on the kitchen next to Sam. Sam was eating his cereal and smiling reading his book. I started, "I'm surprised you didn't get up last night. I was walking around the house."

"You were?"

I nodded, "I went downstairs..."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

Sam looked at Dad and Dad shrugged his shoulders. Sam looked at me like I was crazy and so I rubbed his head, "Must be cause you're so tired from the soccer practice. You're actually collapsing when you come back home."

"It happens." Dad stated.

I began rubbing my arms because it was a little chilly and realized my watch was missing. Ugh, I left it back on the other side of that place... Palace? Mansion? I don't know where it was. Somewhere, extraordinary fancy.

That was my favorite watch too. I can't believe it got loose like that.

It was the watch that Mom gave to me before she passed away on her hospital bed. I hope someone was taking care of it over there.

I stood up and said, "I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?" Sam asked. I smiled, "Just going to the basement. I feel like I dropped my watch down there."

I ran quickly down the basement and went right towards the shelf, and the doorway that was behind it. It looked normal today. But why was it glowing a bright light last night? I went to touch it but it stayed still. Why wasn't it taking me now?

I sighed, "What is up with this thing?"

I felt someone walk behind me and I slightly jumped. I looked back but no one was there, so I sighed in relief.

Was I dreaming last night?

At school, Amanda and I were walking in the hallways so I started, "Hey... Whose our duke?"

"Duke... You mean, Duke, as in Prince?"

"Yeah. Basically... The Duke of England basically."

"Are you mad? How do you not know this? He just got married. Biggest news ever. Royal wedding, remember?"

"I thought that was the Prince?"

She laughed, "He's considered a Duke as well. Prince William, Duke of Cambridge."

"Not Duke Robert?"

"Duke Robert?" She asked puzzledly. I smiled, "I thought your Duke's name was Duke Robert for some reason."

She shook her head, "Duke Robert. Does sound awfully familiar though. I'll go ask my mother when she gets home. She's more of the history person than I am. But where are you getting your facts from?"

"Oh just nothing... Just curious."

She nodded her head and patted my back. "Well, I'm off. I'll see you later, Maddy."

I waved her goodbye and went off to class. Maybe I was dreaming.

In study class, I was sitting by myself and started dozing off. All the students were sitting in their own little group and I was alone. Might as well just sleep. I felt my head shaking around but then when I opened my eyes again, I was... not at school.

I was at my house... In my backyard.

What the heck? How did I get here?

I looked around. Dad wasn't home. Sam was obviously at school. But I did see a woman wearing a long, dark green dress... Had curly red hair and her back was faced to me. I started, "Excuse me?"

She turned around and I was a bit shocked that it was the woman from last night. She smiled and bowed at me. Who was this woman?

I scratched my head, "Who are you? What do you want, if I can ask that politely?"

"It's proven you can help me."

Okay, huh?

"I'm sorry, what? Help you."

She started echoing, "Help me. You're the only one who can help me. Please, help all of us who are here. If you can help me, I will help you." With a very strong British accent.

I was so confused. She continued smiling at me then everything spun, and I was in... a palace. The same palace I was at last night. I saw servants walking passed me but they seem to have disregarded me. Then, out of the hallway, I saw the Duke guy walking towards me.

My head shook again and I opened my eyes -- and I was back in school, in study, in the table... By myself.

Ugh, that was all a dream? I just dozed off in class. I scratched my eyes and groaned. I shook my head around and began reading my philosophy book. Then I thought back about my dream.

What did she mean... by help me... Help all of us? Then she took me back to the palace. There's gotta be something. If I see her in real life and see her in my dreams, that's gotta mean something. Just what?

Or maybe last night I was dreaming? Sam didn't get up, and that kid literally gets up the second I put my foot on the ground.

When the bell rang, I stood up and turned around and bumped very hard into someone. I exclaimed, "Ahh... Sorrryyy. Did you have to be behind me?"

I bent down to grab my books and he bent down after. I looked up and wow, this guy was handsome. He heard slightly laugh and start, "Feisty."

He had dirty blonde hair, light green eyes and a grin that was like a little kid. I smiled, "Sorry."

In his British accent, he replied, "No problem. I should've warned you that I was behind you."

I nodded, "Well... maybe."

He grabbed the rest of my books and we both stood up. He handed me my books and I grabbed them. He started, "New here, right? They said name was a little odd."

"They?"

"My friends."

I nodded and he continued, "I'm Riley, by the way." He reached his hand out and I took it, "Umm... Madison, Maddy or Spencer. Either one."

"I'll go by Maddy, sounds easiest."

We shook hands and he had the sweetest, white smile anyone could have. "You liking England so far?"

"Umm, it's cool... This town's a bit quiet, though, right?"

"Certaintly. But you know, you get used to it." Just then I heard his friends call from the hallway, "Riles! Come on... Practice in five minutes."

He turned to look and me and concluded, "I'd best be going. We will see each other soon though, correct?"

I nodded and he patted my shoulders. I watched him as he left... Very cute.

When I got back home, all I did all evening was flip through the blank pages of the book. With the first page filled with gorgeous handwriting. I was waiting if another one would appear.

But if the first entry appeared, then it mustn't had been a dream. The first journal entry was still there.

I was trying to connect the pieces together thinking about what I could help with.

The woman wanted me to help her... Well, help "Them"... and the doorway in the basement, takes me to the royal palace. But only when it's glowing, apparently. I sighed, "Why is this so complicated? How would I know how to help you?"

I believed in myself and this wasn't a dream. I know I was in a palace and I know I saw a woman. This wasn't all fake.

Sam came through the door and shot his arms up, "Made it on the soccer team!!!!"

He ran up and hugged me and I rubbed his back, "Congrats kiddo! I would ask what position, but I have no idea how to play soccer."

He hugged me again and was so excited. He started, "Well... There's this kid, he's a junior... I think, and he helped me get on the team! He was so awesomee!"

"Would I know him? I'm a junior."

He nodded, "Riley... I think that's what his name is."

I smiled... "Riley helped you?"

"Mhmmm... He told me the secret move to get on the team. And he said he was telling me because I looked like I deserved to be on the team."

I nodded, "Nice guy."

Sam set his bags down on the table and went to the refridgerator to grab his milk. I started, "Hey Sam. You think I can show you something?"

"Sure."

I grabbed his hands and we walked down the basement together. I took him towards the shelf and the doorway and pointed, "Do you see that?"

"See what?"

"This line... or crack -- or whatever you call it, in the doorway."

He went to take a closer look and nodded, "Yeah... Just looks like a big crack. We can always renovate it."

I laughed, "No... I mean, I'm not upset that we have it. But would you think... I mean, would it be possible if this was a doorway... and it led us somewhere."

He looked at me. "What movies have you been watching?"

"Ugh, Sam! Answer me, please."

"A doorway? You mean..."

"Like it took us to a different place."

"Highly impossible, Spencer. There's no way on earth this thing could lead us anywhere. We're in the middle of nowhere, what's around here? Absolutely nothing."

Well, he was right. It took me there in a split second but nothing like this palace was around our house.

I patted his head, "Well thanks. Umm, one more question."

"Hmm."

"Have you ever felt like someone was asking you to help you in this house? Ever feel someone walk behind you?"

I looked around the basement and sighed, "Spencer... Don't scare me like that."

"Just asking."

"No. And I don't want to. I'm going upstairs now."

He ran quickly up the stairs and I laughed. He got scared too easily. I shook my head and laughed.

Before I went to sleep, I watched a little bit of television downstairs. I was flipping through the channels but found nothing, so I settled on some random soap opera. The time was exactly one o'clock in the morning, but it was the weekend so I wasn't worried about getting too much sleep. Except Sam and Dad were probably busted out tired; they've slept since eight o'clock.

I felt someone walk behind me, again... and looked back to hear the basement door shut.

Okay, that... was for real.

"Can you call me in a less creepy way, at least?"

I looked at the book...

Passed Duke's picture....

And saw... The second page of the book with the beautiful handwriting once again.

I read, "I have finally found it once again. I thought I have lost you. Today, was just a dull day. I stayed in the palace all day and had the servants get this and get that for me. But also, today was also quite strange because I found an odd object on the step of the stairs from the library. It's quite difficult to explain what it is. It looks like a type of watch, but a strange one. It's black with seven little circles in it. The face of it is quite riviting. It's a big circle and numbers appear to be constantly moving. I'm not sure what it is, or who the owner is... but I'll have to return to it sometime. Also, there must be some sort of robber in the house. I heard a disturbing noise coming from the basement but all I got was silence when I had to ask. Normally, not one individual dares not to answer me, but this one dared. I must know who this is."

I gulped... Well, that must have been me.

Was this the Duke's book?

Is this the book he was looking for?

Crap. Why did I have it?

He should've wrote the date on here so I knew what time he wrote it at. All there was concluded was a signature. I would've returned it to him if I knew. But then who is writing these gorgeous things? This can be a guy's handwriting? I'm so confused.

That sound was coming again. The sound of the glowing from the doorway.

I grabbed the book and quickly went downstairs to the basement. When I looked at the shelf, there that light was again.

The glowing light. I went to place my hand on it and it again flipped quickly that I didn't prepare myself.

In a few seconds, here I was again. The library? The gorgeous library that looked exactly like my basement.

I turned around and my eyes widened when I saw someone in here. But his back was faced to me. Crap!

I saw a door and quickly went to it (but softly). I softly opened it but stuff was falling out but I just had to push myself in there. I could barely close the door so I heard from the other side, "Who appears there?" It was the Duke's voice. Oh god, he sounded pissseddd!

Oh god.

"I have been waiting in this library for ages to see who is there. Now, present yourself now!"

I sighed. No... He couldn't have seen me. I held onto the door but the stuff in the door kept pushing and pushing me. Why was this closet so stored up?

I heard footsteps coming this way and he continued talking with his heavy british accent, "If you will not present yourself, I have no way but calling my Uncle over."

I closed my eyes and said very softly, "Huhh. Face it. They're gonna have to know someday."

Just then I couldn't control my body anymore. The stuff in the closet pushed me very hard and I fell out of the door... And landed on...

Top of the Duke.

We met eyes for what felt like an eternity. He was the most handsome man I'd ever seen ever.

His hands were slightly touching my waist and we just kept looking at each other. The most gorgeous pair of green eyes I'd ever seen. They were very soft and very sweet. His hair was different today... A little messy but alittle gelled. But still, very cute. And all his ribbons and pins were on his outfit.

He slightly pushed me off and he stood up. I stood up after and he had the most confused face ever. He looked at me up and down and just looked at me like he saw an alien.

He started, "Who are you? What are you? What are you doing here in the palace?"

Okay. I'm dead.