Two Worlds

The Last Meeting

"I didn't think you would call me so soon," I told Robby as I was sitting on the floor and he was sitting on the chair close to me.

"I was going to wait for a year or so," He began joking, because of the funny facial expression he was giving. But then after a few seconds, his face became serious again, continuing, "But I wanted to see you."

I grinned at him, playing with the strings of my pajama shorts, replying, "Robby..."

"Maddy," He interupted, while coming up to me, leaning against the wall, sitting down next to me. "Can we not talk about your last departure out of here?"

I looked at him, a bit upset, but he continued. "Even if I did write for you to come here 365 days later, you coming here will not be a difference. It will still be your last time here."

I hated those words at this particular moment.

It will still be your last time here.

I brought myself to grin again, replying, "I think you're right. We just really shouldn't talk about it."

"On your previous arrival, do you remember what question I asked you? When we were stuck together, tied up, with the manual skill of Uncle Edward, do you remember what question I offered to you?"

"Will you marry me?" I repeated what he asked that night. He sighed, playing with the buttons of his shirt. He sighed, "I've seen weddings. I mean, do not underestimate me, but all of these marriages occur from the arrangements of the mother and the father. I have never seen a marriage where two people have actually met each other previously."

"Rough," I replied. "In my days, people do much more than meeting each other once before you get married."

He went on, "Weddings... I mean... Marriages... Marriages only take a few hours to be complete. A few hours for two people to become husband and wife. So why don't we take the time that we have to get married to each other?"

I looked at him, sympathetically, grabbing his hand. I shook it around a litle, squinting my mouth around, then answered, "I'm afraid that if we do get married..."

I drifted off, having trouble speaking a little but continued, "I'm afraid that I won't be able to have the courage to leave here as much as I don't have it now."

He looked down, not letting go of my hand.

"So no?" He asked, after a few seconds of silence, looking extremely upset. I squeezed his hand even tighter, replying, "I'm not an expert about marriages or anything... But I will let you in on what I know. Because I know a lot. Marriages don't always guarantee a happy ending to life. Two people who could be so in love, end up getting married, but they end up having their own problems. A lot of people who become spouses, eventually end up separating because they have their own problems. Life is full of unexpected mazes and encounters. You just gotta take it and live on."

He chuckled, replying, "You are correct about that life analogy. You are the most unexpected encounter that has ever occurred in my life."

I smiled, leaning my head against the wall as he continued, "But also the most amazing I have encountered."

I smirked, "I'd rather stay like this. Be a couple with you. Be boyfriend and girlfriend with you. It would be much better than having a wedding."

He let go of my hand, reaching it to rub the top of my head, chuckling, "You finally told me."

"Heh?"

"When I asked you what is the word for two people who are together but not spouses."

I smiled, shyly, replying, "You remember what you asked me way back then?"

"I've remembered everything that involves you dating back to the beginning of our first meeting. It's all in the journal."

I linked my hands together, beginning, "It's quiet without Elizabeth."

"You miss her."

"Yeah," I replied. "But she came to thank me. She came into my dreams looking like an angel, and she thanked me. She also said wherever I choose to stay, that we will meet again sometime."

"I agree with her statement," Robby sort of mumbled.

"Hmm?"

He looked at me, repeating, "Two people who are meant to meet each other again, will be destined to meet each other."

--


"Are you kidding me?" I asked Robby as we were staring upon the bicycle.

He shrugged, so I continued ranting, "Despair me with my lack of knowledge with history, but I know for a fact that bikes have been around since like ancient times."

"Apologies for not exploring the world. I have never seen one of this in my life."

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms.

Robby had a lot of free time, so he took me to a carnival that was being held in the center of London.

It was amazing because since the technology was not so advanced, the rides that they had were...

old.

Now, there was a "rent a bicycle!" store nearby where the carnival had been taking place, and I wanted to... Well, you know... Ride a bicycle.

Apparently, Robby had never seen one in his life.

Not apparently.

That's just sad.

He was 25.

Man, has he lacked out on his teenage life.

I placed down the cotton candy that the girl made for me at the carnival, on the ground, because the only thing left was a few pieces of cotton and the stick. I narrowed my eyes at him, stretching my neck, then zippering down my dress to take it off.

"What are you doing?" Robby asked, while stepping back.

I unzipped my dress half way, placing my hands on my hips. "Duke... I have clothes under here."

I looked around, because he had taken me to an extremely empty road that was surrounded by a forest and there hasn't been a sight of a car passing in the past thirty minutes we've stood here arguing about how to use a bike.

"Besides," I continued. "There's no one around. I'm sure I can get this back on within the time we're down this hill."

I slid out of my dress, and felt so much more comfortable now that I was in my skinny jeans and a regular t-shirt.

It was a little warm, though, because I was wearing boots, but it was much better than having to wear an extremely long dress.

I folded the dress into my backpack, then shifting both straps over both of my shoulders. I kicked the stand off the bike, stretching my left leg to the other side to sit on.

I turned around, looking at Robby, who stood there in a white buttoned down long sleeve shirt and black pants, with crossed arms.

"Are you going to get on?"

"That is suited for two?" He asked, innocently.

I leaped my head backwards, then turning back to him, slowly nodding a "yes".

He came closer to me, looking frightened, then asked, "Do you know how to drive this object?"

I glared at him, puckering my lips, telling, "Get... On... The... Bike..."

He groaned, understanding that if he was not getting on, then he was going to walk down this hill by himself.

"Alright," He finally said.

He tried getting on the bike by spreading his legs out, so I groaned. This process was going to take forever if he wasn't going to hurry up.

Again, I turned my head around, beginning, "You can just sit. You don't have to pull your legs over. I'm only going down the hill to show you how this is supposed to be done."

"Really?"

"Yes," I replied, sarcastically.

He sat down, roughly, causing a sudden jump, as my bike shook from his weight. I scratched my head, sighing to myself, "Is this dude gonna make it by the end of today?"

"Ready?" I started.

"What do I hold on to?"

I turned around to see what position he was sitting in, and glanced to see his butt was on the back bicycle seat, but his hands were wandering around not knowing where to put them.

So I managed to joke, "There's usually nothing to hang on to. You just let me do the pedaling and you just stay like that."

We met eyes, and he had to most shocked and frightened look on his face. I turned around, smiling like crazy, knowing that the sarcastic comment actually worked. I sighed in relief, reaching around to grab his arm without looking back, placing it on my stomach.

I felt him jump a little, so I nudged my head over, leaning against his shoulder, joking, "Like you haven't touched that before."

He glared at me, pushing my head forward, so I smiled, placing my foot on the pedals. He finally placed both of his hands on my stomach, wrapping his arms around the waist, holding it tightly.

I began pedaling with my right foot, and started going down the hill that this road provided. As we were going down the hill, his grasp was getting tighter and tighter until I could barely breathe anymore.

I informed, "If you close your eyes, I swear I'm gonna get off this hill and make you pedal without teaching you how."

His grasp loosened just a bit, and I could feel he was relaxing a bit more, when he knew I actually knew how to use a bike.

When I assured no one was around, I began yelling, "Whoooo!"

"What are you doing?"

"Yelling," I replied, simply. "There's no one around."

"You are in...sane."

"You just realized that?"

He chuckled, replying, "Yeah... But I still love you."

I cringed a little, smiling without him noticing, as he continued wrapping his arms around my waist. I pedaled at a normal pace at this particular moment because the road had come into a straight, flat cement surface, so I brought the bicycle to a brake, placing my foot on the ground.

He sighed in relief, then I started getting off the bicycle, placing myself on the flat cement surface. I shifted my backpack up, nudging my eyes towards him to get in the front.

"What?" He asked.

"Your turn."

"You're mad."

"No, I'm just insane," I said, sarcastically.

He got off, glaring at me, shifting forwards to the front seat. I pulled the hair out of my face, immediately sitting on the back of him, kicking my legs up in the air, as I was waiting for him to pedal.

"You're not going to hold on?"

"It's not my first time,"

He shot his head straight at me, asking, "Who else have you done this with?"

"Done what with?"

"This bicycle pedaling,"

"My... Brother?"

He sighed in relief, turning around to grab the handle bars, so I pinched his cheeks, "Are you jeaaaalouussssss?" I asked like a little kid, stretching jealous into a long sound.

"By now, I can probably say, yes. I am very jealous of any man that comes near you and any man that you go near."

I smirked, crossing my arms.

"You can pedal now." I demanded.

He struggled to pedal, but he did it very slowly as we were strolling straightly through the road. When it came to a hill, apparently, Robby wasn't able to stop himself, so we were just sliding down the hill, him having no knowledge about how to brake the bicycle.

So with that, we fell.

Landing on the grassy area, that was aligned with the road.

He landed right on top of me, while I was spitting on the dirt that had gone straight into my mouth.

"Ew," I started, very disgusted.

I looked at Robby, who was currently on top of me, and hit him on the shoulders. He tripped even more, with his weight actually against me at the moment.

"Ow," He complained.

"I told you... To stop when we're at the hill!" I exclaimed.

He chuckled, "Well. This is what occurs when you give me an object I am not aware of using and no knowledge about how to come to a brake."

"Ugh," I groaned, while cupping my hands over my own face.

After a minute, it kind of clicked that he was on top of me, so we eventually made eye contact, laying on the grass very still.

He pulled my bangs that was in my face, smiling down upon me.

"Like our first meeting with each other," He stated.

I sighed.

He remembered every single thing that happened between us.

Like there was a diary in his head or something.

I smiled, pushing him off of me, then sitting up with my legs crossed, right next to him.

I was sitting a little awkwardly, twisting my hair around, feeling myself blush. Just then, my butt started aching, so I began groaning, "Ughhhhhhhhhh..."

I tried standing up, but I fell right back down, while he grabbed my wrists, asking, "Are you alright?"

I glared at him, "Thanks to your wonderful pedaling skills, my butt is going to be green by tomorrow."

"I'm glad to know you'll still be here tomorrow,"

If this moment could last forever,

I would love my life right now.

--


Time was going by too fast.

It was already my third week here.

I was walking towards the bathroom, when I stopped upon my tracks, looking up to see Robby's Dad...

Prince Albert.

I slightly smiled, slightly bending my knees down to bow at him, pulling myself back up.

"Hello," I started, in my normal up to date American accent.

"When will your departure back home be?" He asked.

Prince Albert also knew about me coming from the future, and he already figured something was wrong with me since the first time we met.

Apparently, I'm not 20th century material back here.

I'm too outgoing than other girls around here.

"I'm not so sure yet," I replied, a little sad. "The last time I was here it was for about 30 days. I've already been here for 23 days so I have to answer that I really don't know."

"Robert does not want you to go."

I smiled at him at his statement, not knowing what to say.

"I'm sure... Robert has a marriage arranged for him, somehow, right?"

He slightly shook his head, replying, "After seeing him with you... I do not dare to arrange any marriage for him."

I bit my lip from the inside, a little dumbstruck. Robby wasn't going to get married because he met me? Was that a problem?

"Has he proposed to you?"

"Proposed... As in, asking me to be his wife?"

"Yes," He replied.

I sighed, loudly, answering, "Yeah. He has. But I haven't given him a reply yet."

"Robert still has the heart of a young child. He is a impatient man, but he is a sincere man. He has lucky to have found you."

"I'm more lucky to have found him."

He slightly chuckled, coming up to me, "Madison, dear. I see you as one of my daughters. I know for a fact that you will be able to take care of my son, Robert, just as well as he can take care of you. But if you do wind up staying in the palace, I want you to understand that you and Robert have the responsibility to take care of each other. If you wind up going back home, that is understood too."

I smiled at him, leaning against the wall.

"I don't know what to do," I confessed.

"I understand," He noted. "I understand completely. You have a family. You have friends. You have a whole life back there. But here... You have the love of your life."

He said but here, you have the love of your life like it was such a small thing.

Or maybe it was.

But why didn't it feel like it?

"Robert has said to me before," He began. "That he will accept any decision you will make. Only he promises that he will have no one else in this lifetime. He has a belief that he will meet you again in a different lifetime."

I forced a smile on my face, replying, "He's not gonna be the Duke Robert I knew though."

He then smiled at me, "I believe that any choice you make, it will be the best for you."

With that, he walked down the corridor, leaving me at that note.

"Maddy," I heard a small whisper from a distant. I turned around, seeing Robby poking his head at the end of the corridor, so I went up to him.

"Hey?" I said, puzzlingly.

"What was the discussion between you and Father?" He asked, as he was coming out from the corner he was hiding in.

I looked back at the empty corridor, staring back at Robby, giggling, "Heh. Nothing. Nothing important that you need to know."

I pushed him to go back the opposite way to where his Father would've been, heading back towards the living room.

I'm beginning to understand what choice to make at this point.

--


Thank you

Ugh no... That needs to be crossed out.

Thank you

Or.

Thank you, Prince Albert

No, that didn't work out either.

Cross out.

Thank you, Prince Albert

Why was it so hard to write a thank you letter. A warm thank you for being so kind and so concerned for me.

I want to give you my warmest regards

Warmest regards?

Nope.

I want to give you my warmest regards

I was sitting in my room at the palace, trying to write a letter to almost everyone who was residing in the palace, a thank you note, for being so kind to me during my days here. But it seemed so hard to make it perfect.

I laid my hand against chin, trying to make thoughts come out of my head, when there was a knock that sounded three times at the door.

I sat straight up, on the huge chair, immediately exclaiming, "Come in!"

Who the heck would be at this time in the morning?

It's like 3 am.

I saw Robby poke his head in, so I quickly stood up, shoving all the papers and pens into the drawer of the desk, sitting my butt on it to block the drawer. He narrowed his eyes on me, coming towards me with a decorated cup in his hands.

He handed it to me, starting, "I have not seen you since our last meal of the day. Your body might be lacking water."

I smiled, grabbing the cup from him, taking a sip, then placing it near my legs on the desk. He then sat down on the chair that I was previously sitting on, turning to face me.

I joked, "You're not supposed to be in a female's room after this hour at night."

He brought up his arms to hit my head, so I squinted my face at him. "Meanie."

He chuckled, "You honestly imagine anyone cares what I do with you at this point?"

We looked at each other, smiling, which made me realize his hair was a complete and utter mess. He was wearing a black and white plaid striped buttoned down sleeve shirt and a pair of baggy plaid pajama pants.

He grabbed my hand, moving it around, sighing, "I just wanted to inform you that I'm going to take you somewhere in the morning, tomorrow."

That brought up my attention, asking, "Where are we going?"

"No where exciting. I want to bring you to visit Richard."

My smile slowly faded, kind of missing Duke Richard at this moment.

"What time?" I asked.

"I'll have the servants call you to be awake. I just wanted to inform you."

I let go of his hands and smirked, "I brought a new costume and I'm going to wear it tomorrow. Someone's gotta start a new trend here."

He glared at me, but I pointed at him, cutting him off, "No. You're not stopping me. I'm wearing it."

"Is it revealing?" He asked, while groaning at the same time.

"Seriously?" I asked, rhetorically. "I've been coming here for a year already, you really think I want to wear something revealing just so you can yell at me? I don't want my ears to get infected from all the complaints."

He narrowed his eyes at me, grabbing my hands again, sputtering, making funny sounds.

"I think you need to sleep," I said, seeing that he was clearly going crazy when he's tired.

He groaned, shaking his head, "But I'm not tired."

"Well, I am..." I said, jumping off the desk, dragging him the arms towards the door. As I continued pulling him, he whined, expanding the sound in my name, "Maaaadddiiissssson,"

Before I could open the door, he leaned against it, smirking, "Do you really think I'm going to do anything to you?"

It took me a few seconds to understand what he meant by that, so I puckered my lips together, hitting his arms.

I crossed my arms, snickering, "Perv."

I opened the door, pushing him out, but he made himself heavy, which made it impossible to push. He leaped back towards me, placing his face very close to my face, "Good night."

I smirked, not moving my face, smiling, "Good... Night..."

I pushed him further, but he wouldn't go, just kept his face right up in mine. "How do you say that word again?"

"What word?" I asked.

His brain clicked, then continued, "Ah... I know."

He placed his forehead on mine, whispering, "To my girlfriend. Good night."

My eyes widened, slightly pulling back, but then he quickly kissed me the cheek. After that, he didn't say anything, but just sprinted across the hallway back into his room.

I crossed my arms, leaning against the doorway.

His Dad was right.

He was such a little kid at heart.

--


"This is where he is?" I asked Robby as we were standing in front of Duke Richard's burial grave.

"Yes. My brother. It is hard to forget a unique character like him."

I smiled, still remembering our last day together. That was really the only day that we were on good terms with each other. But I did have Riley, who was officially back to normal.

I sat down on my knees and touched the stone that was engraved with Duke Richard Alfred Georgeson David, 1878 - 1903.

I read out loud, "Duke Richard Alfred Georgeson David, 1878 to 1903. Who has been born as Riley Paul Brown, 1994 to..." I glanced at Robby, who raised his eyebrows at me so I smiled, "Well we're best friends, so I'd say at the same age as me, so make that 2094."

Robby slowly sat down next to me, going on his knees as well, stating, "Richard is a handsome fellow. Your friend Riley must be a handsome man as well. And your century is so much different, and involved with each other rather than in his century. Do you think the two of you could ever..."

I cut him off, saying, "There's only one guy for me."

He looked at me, so I continued, "No man can ever replace this one. Ever heard of him? His name's Duke Robert."

I could tell that he was happy when I said those words, so he reached his arms out to caress my cheeks.

I really was in love with the most perfect guy.

--


We left the Royal Burial Ground, heading back towards the car, when he suddenly came to a stop.

"Hmm?" I started.

He reached out under his shirt, pulling out a folded up piece of paper. He pinched it between his index finger and middle finger, handing it to me, "This is for you."

I reached my hand out to grab it, but he pulled it away again. I gave him a puzzled look as he smiled, pulling out something else from under his shirt. He revealed a fancy looking envelope, continuing, "This is a letter that I want you to read when you are back in your time period."

I smiled, "Okay. I'll read it when I get there." I tried grabbing it from him again, but he pulled it away again.

I pouted my mouth, as he shook his head. I narrowed my eyes at him, asking, "So how on earth do you want me to read it?"

He grabbed my hand, pulling me towards a nearby area, which I wanted to guess was a park, but at the moment, it was just an area of plain grass with only a small standing tree to stand out.

He kneeled down, holding the letter and envelope in one hand, and began digging the ground with his other hand.

I looked at him, widening my eyes, asking, "What are you doing?"

He didn't really reply, but continued digging further. He finally stopped, putting the letter into the envelope, throwing it into the small hole.

Okay, that was unexpected.

He then stood up, kicking the dirt back in to fill the hole. I crossed my arms, watching him in confusion. He finally finished, sighing in relief, but I continued to look at him dumbstruck.

He looked at me, chuckling, then added, "When you are back to your time period, I want you to come see me."

He pointed back to the graveyard, then looked back at me.

"Huh?"

He grinned again, "When I go, my body will be going under these grounds."

I pulled my hair out of my face, with my smile fading away, but he smiled widely, "I want you to come see me. And claim this letter when you do."

"How are you so sure that I'm going to go back home?" I asked. "How do you know that I'm not gonna stay here with you?"

He let out a laugh, and seeing his amazing and sincere smile automatically brightened up my entire day. He then said, noting, "As much as I want you to... You are not going to stay with me. I know you too well."

Before I could say anything, he spoke over me, "I'm not about to be a selfish person. I am not able to let the person I love the most stay with me, knowing that she threw an entire life away for me. I am not going to allow that."

Oh god.

How was I going to leave now?

Duke Robert


Every structure of the household was the exact same, ever since we left that thirty days ago.

Father and I had come back to the household in Somerset, making sure there were no bodies left in the house.

The only memories that I have left is when Madison and I were tied up to each other with Uncle's ropes and cloths.

Just bad memories.

I even lost my brother here.

"I will go upstairs," Father said, as he walked towards the stairs. "You check this area and the area downstairs. Meet me back at this same place in twenty minutes."

I nodded at him, as he disappeared up the stairs. I picked up the basket, that Father left, and headed down towards the stairs.

The atmosphere was exactly the same.

Holding up my lantern, I saw that it was dark and could barely see any marks down here.

I placed the basket down, looking around.

Uncle constructed this basement to look exactly like the basement that belonged to the palace.

The wall that Madison came out of, was also the exact same structure in this household.

I saw door that was placed at the corner open, so I quickly jogged towards it, holding the lantern.

Looking in, the scent reeked of what smelled like a dead animal. I looked in, seeing that blood was all over the wall, so I quickly shut the door.

Closing my eyes, I remember what Madison said.



She pointed at me, demanding, "Do not rearrange anything in that house! I have to be the one to touch it myself."

"Why?"

"Because!" She continued yelling. "I just have to! No cleaning, no dusting, no keeping... Nothing. Even if you find more bodies, leave them there. Don't touch anything in that house."



Don't touch anything.

If it was not for your words, I would have this household cleaned up in just a few minutes.

A particular wall caught my attention, because there was a shelf that was similar to the one in the palace, so I went over to it.

I felt like I have actually been here before.

It was a different feeling than the time I was here just thirty days ago.



She said, looking absolutely adoring, "I remember... Before I went through that wall... There was a shelf and your diary was sitting on that shelf. And the weird thing is, is that... I have the book right in my hands when I am coming, but when I'm here, the book is with you. Talk about time different, heh?"



This is how she must have come through.

I sighed, picking up the journal to place in my hands, smiling at the thought that this was the journal that calls my Madison.

Scrolling through the pages, I took my last look at it, figuring that I would not come back to this household ever again.

I slowly placed it on the shelf, speaking to myself.

"I'm not going to need it anymore," I shut my eyes for a few moments, opening them again, seeing the journal placed on top of the shelf, "I love you too much that I have to let you go. You will not be able to stay with me."

End


"Miss Madison," I heard a female's voice whispering my name to the right of my ear. I turned around, seeing two female servants, which I remembered that their names were Helena and Julia.

I smiled at them, as they slowly came up to me, with their back hunchbacked, and their hands on their upper legs.

I stood up, still smiling, asking, "Yes?"

They looked at each other, continued to smile, just looking back at fourth between them and me.

I bean scratching my head, standing there awkwardly, with no knowledge of what they wanted.

"We wanted..." Julia started, then stopped, looking at Helena. Julia nudged Helena with her elbow, indicating that she wanted Helena to talk.

I chuckled, looking at both of them like they were mad, then Helena finally talked, "We wanted to know where you purchased that lovely costume of yours. Is it one piece?"

I looked down at outfit which was a long blue skirt that went down to my knees, and a white sweater.

I shook my head, replying, "It's two. You like it?"

"Oh so very much Miss Madison," Julia said, excitedly. I laughed, as they continued asking, "Where did you purchase it?"

"A friend of mine made it for me."

I tried to think of when skirts started to become popular, but I couldn't really think of it at all.

I whisked my hand at them, saying, "I have a bunch that I brought with me. In very different colors. I can let you choose which ones you like and you can keep it, sound good?"

Their eyes immediately brightened up and Helena asked, "You would let us keep it, Miss Madison?"

"Of course, I'm not going to wear it when I'm back..."

I stopped myself from saying those words, because I didn't really want to say that I wasn't coming back.

I scratched my head, continuing, "Just... I don't wear it often, so I can give it to you."

They both clapped their hands, jumping up and down, while Julia trilled, "Oh you're just as the other servants say you are! You are so kind!"

I laughed at how so young they were, seeing the new trend as a new playful toy, or something.

It was adorable.

Then I heard Charles voice from behind me, coughing, "Miss Madison."

I turned around, smiling at him, starting, "Hmm?"

"Will you be dining today?"

I nodded my head, replying, "Yeah. Sure. But only a littttleeee bit."

Robby has not been at the palace for like five days now, and it was killing me, because time was going so fast.

He left right after we went to go visit Duke Richard at his burial grave, and I haven't seen him up until today.

I don't know how long I was staying for, but I know I didn't want to waste any time.

But he did say he really had to go do something, so he was going to be away for no more than seven days. But I felt seven days was too long to waste.

I usually ate by myself at a different time than others, so it was kind of lonely, and I'd end up going outside of the palace to get something to eat.

Before Charles left the living room, I quickly asked, "Do you know when Rob..."

Whoops, can't call him just Robby.

"Do you know when Duke Robert will be back?"

He put on a thinking face, wandering his eyes around, then replied, "He should be back no over than tonight, Miss Madison. Do you have any business with him?"

"No," I replied, simply. "I just..."

Miss him?

Don't wanna waste any time?

"I just... Have no one to talk to." I finally said with a soft voice.

He nodded, then walked away from me, probably going into the dining room. I glanced over at Helena and Julia again, reassuring them that I would have them pick out the skirts soon.

Ugh, please come back soon.

--




Has it all gone to waste? All the promises we made.

One by one they vanish just the same.

Of all the things I still remember.

Summer's never looked the same.

The years go by and time just seems to fly.

But the memories still remain.



Those lyrics by Chris Daughtry were still bursting in my head through my earphones as I tried going to sleep that night.

My eyes shot straight up again, revealing the darkness of the room I was sleeping in once more.

I groaned, moving to my right side to see change my sleeping position to see if I could doze off again.

I closed my eyes again, with the lyrics still playing in my head, thinking about Robby.

The lyrics were right.

Time just seems to fly, but the memories still remain.

Dating back in September to the first time I ever met him, up until now, all the memories were the best I could ever make it.

Something made my body shoot straight up, because the clump sound came from the window, piercing through my headphones.

I quickly pulled my headphones off, trying to make out what sound just happened in the room. If this room wasn't so big, I would probably have an understand what was going on.

The sounds were getting louder and louder, and they were at the window, so I quickly got up to see what it was.

Honestly,

There doesn't need to be any ghosts in this palace.

I get enough of that at home.

Or...

Was it a robbery?

This was a palace.

There could be a robbery anytime in this palace.

I jumped off the bed, searching my backpack for a weapon, then pulling out my electric shocker.

The sounds were still clacking at the small balcony of the window, so I tiptoed towards it, softly sprinting.

As I stood behind the balcony door, I saw a man's hand reaching towards the doorknob.

Oh no.

I closed my eyes, as the door began to open, then I shrieked, jumping in front of him, turning on my electric shocker.

"Madison!" He called for me.

As I held the electric shocker out towards him, I opened my right eye, seeing Robby in the darkness, sighing in relief.

"Robby!?"

I fully opened my eyes, turning off my shocker, giving him a puzzled look.

I started, "What on bloooooooddy hell are you doing at my window balcony?"

"Well, I knocked on the door several times but you did not hear it."

I wandered my eyes around, crossing my arms, "There's a thing called sleeping."

He came in, shutting the door, then walked towards my bed.

I stretched my neck, lighting up the lantern to get some light in this room, then put the shocker down on nearest table. I rubbed my face a little, going towards him, sitting on the chair to ask, "So what are you doing at the window balcony in front of my room at like 4 in the morning?"

He chuckled, "Well. You wouldn't open your door, so that left me no options but to... Climb."

"You climbed?"

He nodded with a solemn face, so I nodded, "And you call me insane."

"I imagined you wanted to see me after not seeing for five full days," He said, as he put his face very close to me. "Charles came to prosecute me. He said you have not stopped asking about me for the five days I was gone."

I narrowed my eyes at him, hitting my forehead with his forehead, then pulled away to look at a different direction.

"Ahh, you missed me."

I glared back at him, puckering lips, "Where did you go anyway?"

He scratched his head and shrugged, "Nothing exciting. Just some business with Father."

"Hmm..."

He smirked, "That's not the matter though. The matter is that you missed me, correct?"

I glared at him again, squinting my mouth to hide my shyness, not knowing what to reply. I began giggling, laughing, "No... You are seriously my only friend at this palace. I can be lonely."

"You haven't said those words to me completely."

"What words?" I asked.

He glared at me, narrowing his eyes, smirking, "Maddy. I say it to you almost every time we talk. You must have some knowledge."

I know what words.

The words I love you.

I really haven't said it to him, completely.

I was always encircling the words, not being straightforward about it.

I joked, "I really, really, really, really dislike you for scaring me half to death a few minutes ago. I could've had a heart attack."

He laughed, while grabbing my hand, replying, "A person like you? The only subject you fear is water. You are the most fearless person I know of."

I pouted my mouth, pinching his right cheek, as he groaned, grabbing my hands that were on his face.

"I do not care," He stated. "I do not care that you do not have the courage to say it. I know how you feel about me, and I am convinced that you are not going to love anyone as much as you love me when you go back."

I chuckled, replying, "Really? I didn't know you were so full of yourself."

"I'm not full of myself," He joked. "I just know you are not heartless enough to feel nothing for me."

I smiled, uncontrollably, hitting his shoulders with my other hand. He grabbed my other hand, holding both of my hands as he leaned in closer to my face.

As he inched closer, I sat on the chair very still, as he sat on my bed.

Our noses finally touched, as I could feel his breath, then his lips pressed against mine.

It stayed there for about twenty seconds, when he pulled away, placing his forehead on mine.

I could hear my own breath, while smiling, closing my eyes.

"I love you too," I heard myself say, as the words slipped away from my mouth. He pulled away quickly, still holding onto my hands and he smiled.

He caressed my face, then moving to the back of my neck, then pulling my face in for another kiss.

His lips began moving against mine, as I moved my hands up to his face. He began moving his hands to my waist, as he pulled me out of the chair, onto the bed. He inched to the middle of the bed, while we were still kissing, and my body pressed its weight on top of his legs. His hands were placed on my waist gently, as my arms were wrapped his shoulders.

Well, I guess that's where the night took us.

--


I woke up to the shining sun streaming down my face, as I fluttered my eyes opened.

I wiped my face a little, realizing I was sleeping on a bed.

When everything clicked, I remembered what happened last night, immediately cringing when the thought of Robby's body shifted to the other side.

No.

Nothing happened.

We did nothing.

We only happened to make out out when we realized that we shouldn't be doing it.

But we did end up falling asleep on the same bed.

I slowly turned around, predicting that he was still asleep. When I did, I saw that he had just turned around facing me, opening his eyes.

My eyes widened, along with his, and we both jumped off of the bed like a lightning bolt.

I scratched my head awkwardly, as we were standing on the opposites sides of the bed, not knowing what to say.

"This is awkward," I stated.

He began scratching his head as well, not knowing what to say.

"I'm going to run..."

"Good idea."

He booked out of my room, opening the door, and quickly shutting it. I collapsed back on the bed, groaning, hitting my forehead.

"Why didn't you let him go back to his room, stupid Spencer? What if someone sees?"

Now, I gotta thank god that we didn't do anything.

But I gotta admit.

Kissing Duke Robert for an entirely long time was one of the best feelings in the world.

--


I spent the next two amazing weeks with only Robby. Driving around, walking around, sprinting around, running around...

Doing everything around London.

He bought me to amazing places in the city, which I never knew existed in history.

Helena and Julia really loved my skirts, and they began showing their friends.

So I guess I can note that skirts were becoming popular in the early 1900s.

That made me excited.

I never knew that I could actually have this much fun in a time with very low advanced technology, low advanced cars, and basically, low advanced everything.

I guess Robby just made it all better.

It was currently reaching the boundary of the second month I have been here.

And I brought myself up to think that I couldn't leave this place.

I was so attached to everything here.

Robby.

Servants.

How relaxing this entire century was.

No stress.

No drama.

Everything was so perfect in its little ways.

"Where is your diary anyway?" I asked, as I was eating some sort of bread on a stick that he bought for me.

I slowly bit into it, as he placed his hands in his pockets, and realizing it tasted like corn bread. But it was flat, and here was a stick placed into it.

But I was enjoying it.

"Hmm?" Was his reply.

"Your journal. Where is your journal? I never got to see what you wrote for the last page."

I bit further into the bread, finding a long piece of meat in there, that actually tasted good.

I added, "I like ancient food."

He stopped walking, which made me stop, and he chuckled at me. He reached his hands up to my face, wiping something off my mouth. He pulled his fingers back, chuckling, shaking his head.

"You've got bread stuck to your face," He stated, as he made me look at the piece of bread that was attached to my mouth.

We met eyes for a few seconds, before he pushed my forehead with his fingers, and I groaned.

Complaining, I groaned, "Hmph!"

He shook the bread crumb off my face, sighing, "I'm going to miss you,"

I wandered my eyes around a bit, then continued walking, going ahead of him. When he caught up after a few seconds, he scratched his head, starting, "The journal is long gone."

"What?"

"The journal," He repeated. "It's gone."

"You threw it away?"

He shook his head, replying, "Don't worry about it. You will see when you go back."

We continued walking, then I looked into my bread on a stick, asking, "What is this anyway? It's good, but it's in a weird form."

"They had a name for it, but I can't reckon myself to bring the name."

He began thinking a little, squinting his mouth around, then something clicked to his head. "Ah, yes. I know that it is a long piece of pork that is stuffed in a bread that is partly made from corn."

"Corn... Dog?"

He smiled at me, pointing, "Yes... That is the one."

"I'm eating a corn dog in the year 1903. That's cool."

I bit into further, walking with Robby, who was in a suit today. He had some business to do in the morning, and he promised that he would take me somewhere around London in the afternoon.

We sat on the nearest bench, partly at a distant from each other, making sure no one was looking at us.

I finished my corn dog, throwing the stick into the nearest trashcan, then sitting down with my right leg on top of my left.

"I actually love this time period," I began.

I heard Robby chuckling, asking, "Why?"

I shrugged, "Oh... I don't know. It's so peaceful. I'll let you in on something. Technology in my world is extremely advanced. But it's not like it doesn't cause any stress. People end up committing suicide sometimes because of the stupid technology. But here, it's so different. Everything happens because of the nature. It's so... not dramatic. That's why I love it."

"Yet you choose to live in your time period over mine,"

I pushed his head with my fingers, snickering.

"It's not easy making the choice, Robby," I said, trying to make him understand. "But we're from two different places. Two different worlds. I mean, given my feelings... I mean..."

How was I going to say this?

"I am in love with you... I really am. It's just..."

"You'd have to give up half of your life to be with me, if you choose to live here," He said, cutting me off.

I finally looked at him, but he was smiling.

"You think I do not understand?" He asked.

I sighed, leaning back against the bench, staying quiet.

"Maddy," he began again.

I looked at him, biting my bottom lip, as he continued, "I understand. I understand everything. I understand that I am not selfish enough to not let you go back."

I smiled at him, as he concluded, "I really do understand."

--


"Why do you two girls have an obsession with the layered costume of Madison's?" Robby asked Helena and Julia as they continued to admire more outfits that I gave to them.

I giggled at him, narrowing my eyes, replying, "Don't blame them if they think I have an excellent sense of of fashion."

They nodded in agreement as they were feeling and touching the colorful skirts that was laid on the table, that I had just landed to them. Robby rolled his eyes, sitting next to me on the couch, as we both watched Helena and Julia. Julia began giggling, then began, as she was sitting on the floor in front of us, "When will the wedding be, Duke Robert?"

Robby choked on the water he was drinking on, placing the cup on the table, asking, "Pardon?"

"Why, the wedding, Duke Robert," Julia answered. "Oh! Miss Madison and you will be having a wedding, correct? Oh! Miss Madison will be the most beautiful bridge!"

I widened my eyes at Robby.

Tell them no.

That's the vibe I was trying to nudge on him.

He coughed again, so I replied instead, "No... There will be no wedding."

He looked away so I whispered to them loudly, cupping one hand on my cheek, "He's too old for me."

He shot a look at me, while the two girls giggled heavily. Robby pressed onto my head super hard with his hands that I think the pain pierced through my brain. I groaned loudly, forcing his hand off of me because the two girls were giggling like crazy.

I shot a look at him, and he shrugged, pouting his mouth, "Don't blame them if they think I have an excellent sense of humor."

Okay.

Now, he was imitating me?

Nice.

"Miss Madison," Helena began.

"Yes?"

"Would this go well with a belt?"

"A belt?" I asked back.

"Yes, I need to get your suggestions. Your fashion is super adoring."

I smiled at that compliment, fluttering my eyes at Robby. He rolled his eyes again, looking away so I replied, "Yes... I'll..."

Then there it was.

This was it.

The sound.

The sound of the doorway calling.

Oh god.

Please spare my last minutes as long as you can.

Oh my god.

Spencer, try not to cry right now.

Helena continued to look at me with concern so I slowly stood up.

Hold the tears back, Spence. You can do it.

Robby held onto my hand, asking, "You alright?"

I forced a smile on my face, clapping my hands once, "Of course, I'm okay. I just... I have to get that belt."

Helena and Julia went back to talking with each other, while Robby and I were staring at each other. I could tell by the look of his face that he knew something was up but I wasn't saying anything.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"Getting... Upstairs... Up... The belt..." I stuttered. He continued to give me a puzzled look so I said, "Going upstairs to get Helena's belt."

When I was really going upstairs to get my stuff. I began walking, but he didn't let go of my hand. I looked at him, as the sound was still calling my head.

To whoever is listening to me, please give me at least twenty minutes to say my last goodbyes.

"Are you sure?" He asked. I immediately nodded back, letting go of his very strong grasp. It took me a while for him to let go but he finally did and I softly sprinted up the stairs.

When I reached my room, I shut the door, sliding down, letting all the tears that I held stream down my face.

I don't want to go.

I want to stay.

I know that sounds like the most stupid and idiotic thing ever, but I finally know what are the crazy things that someone could do when they are in love. I know why people have committed suicide. I know why people go mental after a breakup. I understand what a teenager would do to run away from her family to be with the guy she loves.

I understand that I gave 100% of my heart to Robby, and at the moment, I was completely stuck.

--


I came back downstairs, seeing only Helena and Julia standing up when they saw me.

I shifted my duffel bag over my right shoulders, going over to them, noticing that Robby wasn't here.

The both of them stood up, placing their arms to the front, linking their hands together.

I sighed softly.

The sound was calling me very softly, so I wasn't getting a headache yet.

I handed the belt to Helena, smiling, "Here's a belt. You put it between the edges of the tucked in shirt and the top of the skirt."

"Thank you so much," She said, excitedly.

She grabbed it from me, as I shifted the duffel bag further. I handed a bag full of my skirts and dresses to Julia, starting to tear up a little, "Here's the rest of my clothes. They're all washed so you don't have to worry that it's going to be dirty."

She grabbed them from me, bowing her head at me, holding the straps tightly.

Then they looked at my duffel bag, and Helena asked, "Are you departing somewhere Miss Madison?"

A very small tear ran from my eyes, sliding down my face, as I smiled at them. I slightly shook my head, grabbing two envelopes from the outside pocket of my duffel bag.

Both of the envelopes were labeled Helena and Julia.

I handed it to them, as they each grabbed the envelopes that had their name on them, and I smiled, nodding.

"I'll see you guys," I finally said.

"Where are you going, Miss Madison?" They asked in unison.

I pressed my lips on top of each other hardly, not knowing what to answer.

I suddenly grabbed both of their hands, pulling both of them into a hug. I hugged them at the same time, while I said, shakily, "Take care of Duke Robert for me, alright?"

I pulled away, still holding onto to each of their hands, smiling.

"Take care of Duke Robert?" They asked me again.

I nodded, "Yeah. Take care of him well. Don't let any girls go near him. Don't let anyone do anything bad to him. Just... Promise me?"

They looked at me with very confused faces, but nodded in agreement.

I patted their hands, then let go of them, pulling out the rest of the letters, placing them on the table.

"I have more letters for everyone else. Please get it to them."

I continued nodding, so I waved goodbye to them.

"Bye guys,"

"Bye?" Helena asked. "Will we be seeing each other again?"

I shook my head, understanding that Helena and Julia didn't know that I was from the future because they were new to the palace.

"No," I replied. "Not this lifetime, anyway. Maybe your next lifetime."

They continued looking at me puzzled, so I just waved at them.

"Thank you," I concluded. "Thank you guys for being so adorable... And being so nice to me. Stay this way. Duke Robert will love you."

They nodded, and began waving back, so I walked the other way.

The other way where I collided with Robby.

We met eyes, as his eyes leaped towards my duffel bag, and his mouth slightly opened. We continued to stare at each other, and he began shaking his head, "It's not time, is it?"

I pressed my lips against each other again, nodding. I managed to say, "It is... It is time..."

Fortunately, God was doing what I asked, about not giving me a headache so I could say my last goodbyes.

His eyes completely changed moods, and it displayed a very upset, frustrated and sad look upon his face.

I blinked a variety of times, licking my lips, then closing my eyes, when I realized that I was crying again.

When I came to open them again, I forced a grin to my face, nodding my head.

It was a pain having to look at him.

"I gotta go," I said.

I walked passed him, but he quickly grabbed onto my wrists. This made me stop, not being able to move my feet, because his grasp wasn't hard as I imagined it to be. It was soft, but it was calling for me to stay.

I continued crying, turning to him. I used my other hand to pull his hands off of my wrists, and he let them go of them.

I didn't wave at him before going because I knew he had to follow me.

He couldn't let me leave without following me.

When I reached to the front of the shining doorway, I shifted the straps of my duffel bag even further onto my arms, standing there.

"Maddy!" I heard him call.

I blew air into my mouth, turning around, but I cracked when I saw his face. I breathed heavily, while tears uncontrollably began falling down my face.

"I'm trying not to be selfish," He started. "But you're making it utterly impossible."

This was the first time I ever saw him cry.

This made it even worse.

He held onto my wrists, holding it tightly, shaking his head, "I'm not letting you go."

My eyes widened, as my eyes began burning from the heavy tears, so I tried to let go of his grasp. He wouldn't let go.

We looked at each other for a very long time, until I tried to let go again.

Nope. He was still holding on.

"Robby,"

"You said you loved me."

I let him hold onto me, as I puckered my lips together. "I do... I really do."

The tears in his eyes were seeping, but they weren't sliding down his face.

"So, don't leave," He said. "Leave your life behind, and I will leave mine behind to make it fair. I can pack my bags and we can leave the palace together. We can stay together... We can go places..."

"Robby," I said in a serious tone. "When will you know that I can't do that? I can't hurt my family like that."

"But you can hurt me?"

I closed my eyes for a second, opening them again, to try to make him understand, "I don't want to leave you. This entire thing was supposed to be me helping Elizabeth, Amelia and Valeria. You weren't supposed to come into my life. You really weren't. We met because..."

The sound was getting louder, and the doorway was shining brighter.

I gulped, "We're soulmates. I don't know if you believe it or not, but it's true. I believe in it."

His grasp loosened a bit, so I took the advantage to take my wrists out then cupped my hands around his entire face.

"I love you. So much. And probably will never love anyone as much as I love you when I go back. But I want you to go on being Duke Robert. The kind, amazing, Duke Robert that everyone loves and admires. And I also want myself to be the Spencer that everyone expects to come back to the 21st century."

The tears finally rolled down his face, so I wiped them off.

He closed his eyes, trying to hold them back, as he reached up to grab my hand. He held onto my hand, wiping his tears with his other hand, as he continued, "I'm sorry. I was just..."

"Don't say anything, please," I interrupted. "I want to leave here having no problems with you. I want to leave here as two people who became best friends and in the end, just... couldn't be together."

He nodded his head, cupping his hand around my face, and pulling me to face him. He placed his forehead one mine, so close that I could feel his breath, as he cried, "I promise..."

"I promise that in my lifetime, you will be the only person for me. I promise that I will live on having no one else in this lifetime. You are the only one for me."

I smiled, still crying, as I managed to say, "And I promise... That Duke Robert will always be in my heart. No matter who I meet, no matter who I see... Duke Robert is the guy that will always stand out for me."

I could feel him nodding as he pulled me into a kiss.

We kissed for about twenty seconds, before pulling away again, with his hands still wrapped around my neck.

The sound was getting pretty loud at this point.

I pulled out the envelope that was labeled To my Duke Robby, handing it to him.

"Read it when I'm gone..." I stated.

He grabbed it, letting go of my hands, reading the envelope. I saw the tears that were still watering in his eyes, so I pushed his forehead, trying to joke, "If you cry, I'm not gonna be able to stop."

Smiling and crying at the same time, he replied by pushing my forehead, then going back to watery eyes.

He blinked a lot, wiping them away, nodding, "I love you."

I smirked, nodding as well, "I do too."

I sighed loudly, continuing, "Take care of yourself."

"You too." He said, simply.

I headed towards the doorway on the wall, but I heard his voice again, "Maddy!"

Still crying, I turned around, facing him, and he was smiling at this point.

"Soulmates..."

Did he just say soulmates?

"Huh?"

"That day when you asked me in the forest if I believe in soulmates," He answered. "I believed in it ever since the day I met you. And I believe that we are going to meet each other again. Even if it's not this lifetime, it's going to be the next. We'll find our way around to see each other again, I believe in that."

I smiled, dropping my duffel bag, going back up to him to hug him.

We held onto each other for a good minute, before pulling away.

He suddenly pressed his lips against mine again, as my arms were wrapped around his shoulders.

We pulled away after a few seconds, both crying, but we had to force ourselves to let go of each other.

He nodded, finally letting go, and he held his hand out to me for the last hi five. It made me cry even more, and smile at the same time, knowing that he remembered every single detail between us.

I clapped my hand against with his, giving one last hi five, but the only different thing was he linked his fingers with mine.

"Keep your promise."

I nodded, letting go of his hand, feeling his face for one more time.

"I will." I promised.

The sound was piercing through my head at this point. I looked at him once more, smiling. He stood there, very close to the doorway. I waved at him, concluding, "See you again."

"I can promise that too."

We both nodded at each other, waving at him one last time, before I stood to face the bright shining doorway.

I slowly ascended my arms up to the wall, placing my hands on the wall.

I closed my eyes, as I felt my palms pressing up against the cold wall.

Before I knew it, the doorway took me, flipping, then I went with it completely.

I was back.

I was back in my basement.

It was dark.

I pulled my hair out of my face, looking at the time to see 5:05 AM.

I sighed heavily to myself, facing the wall, biting my lip then saying, "There's only one Robby for me. No one can ever replace you."

That's where I slid down, crying to myself.

How was I going to live with myself?
♠ ♠ ♠
Wheewww :(

Comments please !! It's almost ending and I would really love to read what people think :D

Don't forget ^_______^

Thank you my lovely readers :)