Two Worlds

The Meeting

I stood there absolutely frozen looking at the eyes of the most handsome man ever known. But those eyes did look extremely fiery.

I sighed very loudly as he looked at me up and down.

Well, this Duke was a little perverted.

I looked down and I was wearing my pajamas; which was very tight shorts and a buttoned down huge shirt. I slightly place one of my hands on my leg but of course it didn't cover anything. I just felt awkward standing there.

"Who... are... you?" The Duke said slowly. I gulped once and smiled, "My name's Spencer?"

He looked at me like he saw a ghost or something after I said my name.

"Are you a criminal?" He said with that heavy british accent. I exclaimed, "No! No... I can try to explain. I came from that doorway over there." I pointed to the wall that I had come through and looked back at him. He still looked at me like I had fifteen heads or something.

He thought I was a robber, ah crap.

"Are you a mad criminal?" He kept asking.

Mad?

Did that mean insane?

"Umm? Mad?"

He nodded and continued, "Are you a mad criminal?"

"No? I'm not a criminal. I'm not a robber. I'm just a normal girl who came through a really weird passage doorway thingy. I don't even know how I really got here, it was really fast."

He nodded and looked at me up and down again. "Stand still." He demanded. I gave him a confused look and he gave me very demanding eyes. I nodded and stood still as he wished. He began circling around me and had his arms behind his back the entire time.

When he got in front of me again, he observed me up and down... left to right and just looked at me strangely. "If you're not a criminal, then why are you in palace's library? Barely no one ever comes down here unless they come pick up a book."

This Duke was not getting it, was he?

I smiled, "Well... Like I said. I have no idea how I got here. That wall right there, has doorway thingy and it takes me though like in a split second. But it has to glow first."

Still, the confused face. I started groaning cause I was getting annoyed, "What are you not getting? You're looking at me like I have like ten heads!"

He stood back a little and slightly smiled. I sighed very loudly and repeated, "I don't know why I'm here. I got asked by a ghostly woman to help her, and randomly, she takes me here. The doorway in the wall... If it flips, I'm back in my own basement in my house. If it flips over there, I come here... in the library of your palace. So I don't have an answer to why I am here yet."

He stayed quiet for a few seconds then continued, "First, your language is very difficult to understand."

Oh, whoops.

I forgot I was an American.

Wait, british people don't understand American people? Heh?

I made my mouth crooked and looked at him. He asked, "Where are you from?"

"America?"

"You're an American?"

I nodded and he continued asking, "Do all Americans dress like this?"

I looked down at my pajamas and slightly smiled, "Oh no... These are just my pajamas. I wear better stuff during the day."

He nudged his head foward at me, "Pa... Jamas?" He asked slowly. I quickly nodded and smiled, "Sleeping clothes."

"It reveals the skin a bit too much... Even for sleep."

Geez... Like you Englanders don't shorts to sleep.

I squinted my mouth at him as he continued, "If you're an American, what are you doing in England?"

"Oh. My dad was working in America, then his job got circuited here so we had to move to England."

"How many days was the trip?"

"The trip to where?"

"The trip to England. From America to here."

"Umm... like seven hours."

"Are you mad?"

"Why would I be... insane?"

He rolled his eyes at me. "Normally, it takes months to get here. Not hours."

"Months... What transportation are you using?" I asked fiestly.

He looked around the room and back at me. "I think it be best for me to ask you what type of transportation you are using?"

"A plane? What everyone uses these days?"

"Plane?"

I nodded and did a plane motion with my hands, "Like... shewwwwwww... Up in the air."

"I think you need a doctor."

I groaned... This Duke... Really. I am not insane. What was up his butt? He seemed like he was having a bad day.

He went to circle around me again and continued, "Your language is utterly difficult to understand. Your costume is quite revealing and very strange looking. Your hair is absolutely... horrid."

I stuttered, "Horrid? What do you mean by horrid?"

"It's popping out on the top."

I touched my hair on the top and it was slightly frizzy.

That's his definition of horrid... How harsh?

We stood there awkwardly looking at each other, and he was in his full out royal uniform. Man, this guy was really handsome.

He snickered at me and went to the wall that I came out of. He touched it and said, "I don't see any doorway."

I crossed my arms and walked over to him, "The passage doesn't show up when I'm here... but it shows up when I'm at my basement at my house on the other side."

"So when are you going to go back?"

"Whenever it glows... It's like a calling for me, I guess."

He looked at me and I pointed at him, "Do not call me mad... Crazy or insane. Or I will... Hit you. Do you want to be known as the Duke who got hit by a girl? I don't think so. Anyway, I'm telling the truth. That's my only way of getting here."

"Where is your home in England?"

"Umm, Somerset."

"How long was the trip from Somerset to here?"

"Here is where?"

"The palace."

"It's a trip?"

He started laughing, "We're going to have a difficult time communicating, are we?"

"Well... If you didn't ask so many questions and think I'm insane."

"Okay. I will not say that you are in... sane... Is that what you said?... Anymore. Okay? I'll ask you how long was your trip from Somerset to the palace?"

"Like... Two seconds?"

He placed his hand on his forehead and sighed, "Are you playing a comedy with me?"

"Like I said, I came from this doorway. Why? How long does it usually take if you take the normal way?"

"A day and a half up until two days."

"By what?"

"A carriage."

"That is driving, right?"

He looked at me funny and I did a driving motion, "Like... Vroom vroom?"

"A carriage departing from London arrives to Somerset within a day and a half to two days."

I slightly choke and I sighed, "I didn't know I lived that far away from here. I'm lucky that I have a shortcut." I turned to the Duke and asked, "So... I'm all the way in London. Wow... Didn't think that doorway could even take me here. What palace is this?"

"The Buckingham Palace."

My eyes widened, "I'm... inside the Buckingham Palace? Oh my goooodness! I've always heard about it but I never thought I would get here so easily. Oh my goodness, this is amazing. I wonder how the outside looks."

"And you know who I am?"

"I know you're a duke, right? My friend was telling me that the Prince and Duke are slightly the same thing. Right?"

He slightly nodded, "But we have a prince, which is the King's son. The King just happens to be my Uncle so I am only a duke."

Only a Duke? He makes it sound like he's so... low.

"Ooooh, so a duke is the king's nephew? Got it, got it." I said pointing my fingers. He looked at me with a smirking face and I just smiled at him.

Was he finally being civil with me?

"I'd rather know your name right now than ask you about your costume again."

I replied, "I have three. Madison, Maddy and Spencer. You can choose which one to call me."

"Why do you have so many names?"

I laughed, "Well... My actual name is Madison Spencer Anderson. But my nicknames are Maddy and Spencer. So I have a lot of names."

"Nick... names?" He asked.

"Hmm, like short names."

"I like Maddy." He said softly. I looked up at him and smirked. "So your name is Duke Robert, right? What's your entire name, anyway?"

He smiled at me, "Robert Victor Albert David."

"Nice."

He then continued after staying quiet for a few seconds, "I can make an exception for you to call me only Robert, I guess."

"Really?! I don't have to call you Duke? Yayy. Then I guess I'll call you... Robby, that sound okay?"

"Rob... By?"

I nodded quickly, "Mhm... It's a nickname for Robert. My favorite name too... Robby... Robby..." I shrugged and he nodded his head politely, "I guess I'll have to make another exception."

I clapped my hands together and shrugged. He continued, "So this doorway, is going to glow?"

I nodded and smiled, "Yeah. Last time I was here, I was only here for like ten minutes. It's been like thirty minutes now. I don't know when it's going to call."

"You came before?"

"Yesterday. I kind of overheard you talking that you were trying to find your book. If I may ask, what book is it?"

"It's nothing. I've found it already."

I then looked at the table and there was that book. The book that came along with Duke... I mean... Robby's picture. I scratched my head and chuckled, "That book." I said pointing. He quickly went over to the table and coughed, "What book?"

He stood in front of the book and I went over, "The book that I came here with. It had your picture inside of it too. But I could've sworn I grabbed it with me, except it wasn't in my hands when I came here. How is it here on the table?"

"You came through the passage with my diary?"

"Oh... That's your diary. No wonder why."

"Have you read anything?"

"There's only two pages."

"How is that possible?" Robby asked. I shrugged, "I don't know. But you're mad that I read it, are you? I didn't mean to. It started out blank and it randomly had a diary entry on it so I had to read it. Actually, I read it before I came here."

He nodded, "Well... when I finished writing my second entry, I heard your footsteps coming. That means, you must've came right after I wrote it."

"Wait... If I have your diary all day where I'm living, then... How are you writing your journal entries?"

"Hmm?"

"Have you had your diary all day today?"

"Yes. I've been holding very close with me today."

Okay, whoa. I took a quick look at the book again and I could've sworn it was the same book. I was holding it when I came here, but now it's sitting on the desk of Robby's library. He kept blocking it and I smirked, "Duke dude... There's only two entries in there... I just wanna see if it's the same book."

He slowly shifted to the right and held his book behind his back. I coughed and grabbed the book quickly from him. He stood frozen while I opened the pages. Same exact diary entries, same exact texture... Same exact design.

So why did it feel so different?

If I had his journal from where I am... And he had his journal all along... And his entries appeared one by one to where I am, then what does that mean?

I looked at the window that the sun was shining brightly on. I sighed and asked Robby, "Do you have my watch that I dropped from yesterday?"

"That was yours? I was wondering what was that strange object."

I nodded and continued, "Can I just see it, please?"

He bent down and opened his drawer, then grabbed my watch out. He handed it to me and I quickly looked at the time. It was 1 in the morning in Somerset... "What time is it now?"

He pointed his finger to the fancy looking clock on the wall and it was one in the afternoon.

Did Somerset and London have different time zones?

No, it couldn't have been.

I looked at the pictures around the room and every woman was wearing a long, fitted dress. I looked down at my outfit and then thought to myself... Maybe I was different.

Duke Robby had looked at me like he'd seen a ghost.

The way to get to London to Somerset is by a carriage... Not a car. Not by driving... It takes months to get to England from America.

That woman was obviously not human. She's been coming to my dreams... Coming into my life and asking me to help her.

Every woman here dressed differently. Duke said I was wearing really revealing outfits.

So where was I?

I turned to Robby and asked, "What year is it?"

"Year?"

"Date... the four digit number of what year it is."

"It's... 1902... why?"

Okay. Heart stops beating now.