Two Worlds

The Picture

"Are you really just gonna sit there and watch me do homework?" I asked Robby as he was sitting on his humongus table. He slightly chuckled, "Fascinating objects... I have a tendancy to watch."

I looked down and realized I was doing my math homework. I smiled at him, "Wanna play on my phone?"

"Play?"

I groaned, "Nevermind. I'll just show you." I grabbed my phone to realize there was no reception. Well, there can't be. There are no electricity poles to have any 3G in 1902... How could I forget?

I turned on my phone and showed him a slashing fruit game I thought he would like. He was absolutely fascinated by my phone. He cut the fruits very funnily and actually moved his hands when there was a bomb.

I cracked up laughing. "This is hilarious. Watching a person from the older century playing a game on my iphone... It's absolutely hysterical."

"Don't joke on me. It's not every day you see this. This overcomes your other object that you had with you on the first day."

"What other object?"

"The black, scotted bracelet that had numbers moving foward."

"Oh... my watch?" I asked smiling at him. He grinned, "A watch? That's what a watch looks like in your world?"

I nodded, "Pretty much." I pointed at him and smiled, "Take care of that watch. I will come and claim it from you one day."

"Perfectly fine."

He stopped playing and sighed, "Enough of that, what you call game. Earlier, I saw a photograph of you and your relatives. May I look at that?"

I nodded and opened my pictures, as he was still holding the phone. I taught, "You just have to slide them. Everything's in there."

He shakily held the phone and then slid through the phone with a lot of caution. It seemed like he was afraid of something in the phone. I glanced at the time and my century, it was already 6:10. Over an hour already... How long was I going to be here?

He smiled, "You seem very attached to your brothers."

"And my father. It's only been the four of us growing up... so..."

"You don't have a mother?"

"She passed away when I was eight." I replied as I shook my head.

"Was she sick?"

I nodded, "She had leukemia? Not sure if they discovered that in this century yet. But it's big cancer. It was hard."

He slightly smiled and saw that I slightly had tears in my eyes. He sighed, "You're going to make think about my mother... She was lost from me when I was the same age."

"Really? You were eight when you lost her?"

He nodded, "My father did not feel anything, but I did. Mother raised me like a real mother. She gave me warmth and felt like I was part of the family."

"And your dad doesn't?"

"Father and Uncle are the same. Cold hearted and cruel. But Uncle makes a great king. Has done much for the country."

"I believe it. I'll do some research when I go home.... Speaking of going home, I really have been here for a while."

He smiled and just sat there. I stood up and started, "So you're like your mom... Basically?"

He nodded, "Basic... Ly? Is that what you said..." I nodded then he continued, "Yes. Mother was a sweet and caring woman. Father is more of the unheartedly person, so I tend not to be similar to him. I take it you're similar to your father and your brothers... Since you have much confidence in yourself."

"And you take it right... It's usually if you grow up with the people who are around you, you're most likely going to be like that person."

He leaned towards me and started, "I like it though. It's quite different."

"You're telling me. So... what is if a guy touches a girl in this century? It's a sin... right?"

"If you want to do any touching in the royal family... You should be the spouse of that person. If you're not, then it's considered a sin. Some people do not follow the rules but it occurs sometimes. You know? People..."

"Hmm. That's why you freaked out when I grabbed your wrists... Sorry... I'll try not to 'come in contact' with you again."

He started smiling, "Like I said... I can make an exception for you."

His face came very close to mine and I looked into his amazing sweet eyes. He looked me up and down at my face and he stood back. He coughed, "So... The future. Are males and females always... you know?"

He clapped his hands together and I laughed, "Touching?"

"Yes. We'll call it that."

I chuckled, "Umm pretty much. It's not a big deal if you like hit against them or anything... Like, back home in America, I had a bunch of guy friends and it was normal."

"Do you have a lover?"

I was taking that was a boyfriend.

"Lover?"

He nodded and I replied slowly, "I don't... think so? You mean as in lover as in opposite gender, right?"

He smiled, "Yes. That's what I mean."

A duke asked me if I had a boyfriend. When does that happen in a daily life? Never! This was super exciting.

"Then no. No lover. Never had one either. How about you? Whose this Elizabeth? You're making me curious. I heard a story about you from my friend so I want to see what's that all about."

He raised one eyebrow at me and crossed his arms. He looked down and replied, "No. I have no lover as well. I am not even part of an arranged marriage. Uncle and Father do not see my part in this palace so I am just air to them."

"I'm sure that's not true."

"You have no knowledge of the beginning of it."

I smiled and pointed at him, "Aye. Don't ignore the question. Whose Elizabeth?"

He smirked at me, "She's one of my servants. She's served me for many years now. Ever since I was... I would say seventeen. She's not too much older than me, just about three years in age."

"So you like her?"

I thought about what Amanda told me... About him falling madly in love with someone who wasn't part of the royal family. Maybe this Elizabeth girl was it. The servant.

"Like her?"

How the heck do you call a crush in this century?

I sighed, "Do you feel something for her?"

"Oh. Nothing at all. I just see her as one of my servants."

"Then why'd you mention her?"

He moved his head from left to right then replied, "Just... imagining. The way she looks at me... It's different from my other servants but I have not questioned her. Why do you want to know so much?"

I nudged my head foward and squinted, "Just... Wondering."

A few seconds later, that sound came. The sound of the glowing of the door. It was a very sharp sound that hurt my ears more and more by the second. I stood up and he stood up after me. "Are you o... kay? From what I heard you say."

I nodded, "I think I have to go back."

He slightly frowned and then nodded, "Really?"

"Is anyone awake yet? Can I go by the stairs?" I asked as I nodded my head. He shook his head, "I'll lead you. Get your belongings."

I gathered my books and calculator together and made sure to pull my phone with me. I put everything in my bag and lifted my backpack up my shoulders. Robby suddenly grabbed it from me and lifted it over his shoulders... and he looked very cute with a backpack on. It made him look younger.

He suddenly grabbed my hand and started walking, him leading and me following. He opened his extremely large door and peeked out the corridors to see no one.

I looked down and smiled when he was holding my hand.

Eeeeee! He wasn't kidding when he said he was going to make exceptions about the touching. He turned back to me and nodded his head, motioning that the coast is clear. We quickly ran hand in hand, and I got a clearer view of the house because it was a bit lighter.

I could see slight decorations, but I was more focused about not getting caught. We ran down the stairs very quietly. We finally arrived back in the library and it was still a little dark but the doorway was glowing very brightly. He handed my backpack back to me then smiled at me. "When will we meet again?"

"Well... Write in your journal... I'll be sure to be here."

He smiled and nodded. I then bumped into something and a picture frame fell down. I picked it up and saw a familiar face in the frame.

"Riley?" I whispered.

The sound was suddenly hurting my head and I closed my eyes. "Ow... okay, okay... I'm coming."

"Are you okay? You look still."

I handed him the picture, "Sorry for knocking this over. But can you hang it up again? I wanna see the picture when it's brighter."

"It's always in the same place."

I nodded and then he placed the picture on the desk. I walked towards the bright doorway and then turned around to wave at him. He then followed me towards the doorway, but I wanna guess he didn't see anything.

"I'll write soon." He said.

I smiled, "Write whenever you want. I'll be here after."

Before I placed my hands on the wall, I turned around and asked, "You said you'll make an exception for me by touching you right?"

He nodded and I held out my hand straight up and forwarded to him. "Hi... Five."

"Hi... Five?"

I smiled and grabbed his wrist, and collided his hands with mine. I concluded, "That's how we depart each other when we say goodbye... So learn it."

He smirked and nodded. I closed my eyes, hearing the extremely loud sharp noise that was calling me, placed my hands on the wall and then it flipped me back to my basement within one second.

I took my phone out and checked the time... It was already 6:30 in the evening. I touched the wall and smiled, "Hope you don't get caught... and write at a better time, please."

I sighed. I saw his diary and smiled. I made sure his picture was still in there and it really was. I hugged it to my chest and smiled. I could not stop my smiling; this is one of the most amazing times I've had.

Duke Robert. I really want to see you again.

--> After I left out of my basement door, my phone was ringing that tri-tone sound like twenty times. All the texts were from Amanda and missed calls from Dad. I read Amanda's texts that asked what was the homework and she was having a major crisis with not knowing the homework. And Dad, asking where I was.

I went through the front door and saw Sam and Dad sitting on the couch. I waved at them and Dad started, "Where'd you go?"

"Out with a friend." I lied. Dad nodded and then I continued, "Thanks for the phone Dad. It's really amazing. I haven't stopped taking pictures of myself."

"No problem, Maddy. Just wanted to make it up to you."

I nodded and Sam began falling asleep on the couch. I went to go sit next to him but he didn't wake up. I started, "Ever since he started playing soccer, he's been a heavy sleeper."

Dad nodded, "At least he's doing what he likes."

I smiled in agreement then Dad went up to go get a glass of water. I clutched my backpack and thought about Robby.

I had to go back.

Something had to connect.

Elizabeth was his servant who had a thing for him.

There was a picture of Riley... Or at least, I think it was Riley.

Now, what was it they wanted me to help them with?

I had to figure this out... very soon.

--> In study the next day, all I could think about was piecing everything together. I wish there was someway I could communicate with him and tell Robby to bring me at a better time so I could get some more information.

That would've been funny if I left my phone with him.

It'd be like teaching a first grader their ABC's.

Why would Riley be in the picture frame? He did seem like he knew Robby's diary well... And he also seem frustrated that I had the book.

Why would be?

Maybe the three woman led me to Duke Robert because they knew he was going to help me somehow. He did offer to help me find what I am looking for when he didn't even know.

Just then Amanda sat down next to me and sighed, "You know what would be cool?"

I snapped back and sighed, "Hey... what's up?"

She bit into her sandwich and continued, "I was thinking. If we could go back in time... We could like take all the tecnnology we had and present it to the people back in like the 1700s, 1800s, 1900s, 1950s... Do you know how awesome that would be?"

I laughed and looked down. "Trust me... It ain't that easy."

"Heh... You've travelled back in time?"

I gulped and widened my eyes at her. "Psh no. I just imagine... I can imagine it would be difficult. You would have to teach them everything and they don't even know how to even touch it."

"I see you've done your research well."

I smiled and continued, "Yo. I have a question about Duke Robert."

"What is it Miss. Duke Robert fanatic?"

I laughed, "I wanted to know... if you know... Was he a bad guy in any way? Did he like... Do any bad things?"

She wandered her eyes around and shook her head, "From what my mother explains, not particularly. He was actually pretty decent guy. A little strict at times to his servants, but he never did any harm. It was more of the King who was more... The give you the chills kind of guy."

"Like how?"

"King Edward the seventh? The guy had so many mistresses... but it was stated that he like tortured his mistresses. Like he was the man who had to get his way... He was... scary."

Ah, more information.

So Robby's uncle was the intimidating one.

Robby was decent.

Maybe the three woman wanted us to help them. This needed to be solved very soon... I really wanted to know how they wanted me to help them.

I shook my head and sighed, "Wah. It's okay. I'm getting a headache thinking about it.... Sorry about yesterday... I had a sudden errand to do."

"It's okay. We can always go it anytime. I wanted to surprise you. But seeming as you're the person whose not afraid of anything... I take it you'll be okay."

"Where were you going to take me?"

She smiled, "The Royal Burial Ground. I'm sure you'd be interested... I'm sure Duke Robert's grave is somewhere over there."

Okay. My heart literally stopped beating. Robby's grave? No... I didn't wanna see that.

:/