The Mess I Made

Chapter Nineteen.

"Come on, kid. Someone's got school," Munch sighed tiredly, tapping me on my shoulder.

I only grinned at Samantha, settling down further next to her on the hospital bed. "I'm not leaving without Sammy."

"Sammy?" He scoffed, raising an eyebrow. "I didn't know you two gave each other nicknames now."

"Yup," Sam smiled, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "And she's asshole."

I glared at while sticking my tongue out, shrugging her arm off. "Jerk."

"You know I'm just kidding! I love you, Chey!" She laughed, resting against her pillows.

I smiled, shaking my head still. "Love you, too."

"Do you really want me to get your mother?" Munch sighed impatiently, glaring at me.

"Sheesh Munch, I was coming," I mutter bitterly, kissing Sam's head before walking out of the room. "Besides, where is she? And Elliot?"

"They're..with Captain. Fin's here, though, and Casey refuses to leave."

"Why're they with Cragen?"

"Why are you so persistent?"

"I am Olivia's daughter," I grin, grabbing my bag from the chair it was resting in.

"Right. Don't remind me."

"What's the matter?"

"Since when does that concern you?"

"Since when are you this snarky to me? I'm used to it every once in a while, but you're in a really bad mood today."

"If you must know, I'm sleep deprived from having to babysit two idiot criminals last night."

"When you say idiot criminals...?"

"They robbed a bank with their company's logo on the front of it," He smirked, opening the door for me.

I laughed, going to his car before opening the door and buckling myself in. "Wow. And just when you think America couldn't get brighter."

"Speaking of, you're missing first period. Do you need me to write you a note?"

"Nah, I have Mr. Way. He's the easiest teacher ever, and I hate him. You're actually doing me a favor."

"Why is that?" He asks, starting the car and pulling out of the lot.

"He's super young and attractive. If you stepped in that classroom, you'd want to shoot yourself. Too many hormonal teenagers."

"And to think that I put away scumbags that hit on teenage girls," He mutters.

"Yeah, if only it worked the other way around, too."

"Well, here we are."

"Thanks for the ride, Munch."

"Anytime, kid."

I slammed the door of the squad car, and trudged inside the building, grabbing a note from the office lady. The bell for second period rang just as I got to my locker, and went to Geometry, failing to pay any attention to Elder's lesson. It wasn't my fault the only thing I happened to be interested in was her face.

I know I was just grumbling about how gross it was with Way, but this was different. I didn't want in her pants--she just needed to stop using her face as a coloring book. My classmates would even agree.

As third hour rolled around, a knot began settling in the pit of my stomach. Ever since the other day, I hadn't wanted to be around Coach much. This, and the fact that I despised physical education. I expected to find Derek in the hallway, maybe waiting for me, but he wasn't there today.

Hopefully he'd be in Bio, or I'd get paired with Justin Trix. I did not want to get paired with Justin Trix. "Cheyenne?"

"Huh?" I muttered, raising an eyebrow at the person who broke me out of my thoughts: Coach.

"Someone's too busy daydreaming to get to my class," She smirked, crossing her arms over her chest.

Any other day I'd reply in a snarky, sarcastic manner..but today I just felt like curling up into a ball and crying. Damn you, mother nature.

"Guess so."

"Step into my office for a minute, would you?"

My mind raced as did my heart, wondering if she had known I told where I was. My thoughts even went as far to wondering if I did an excercise wrong or said something I shouldn't have, thinking no one was listening. Regardless, I sat down in the chair across from hers, watching as she shut her door behind her. "I kind of have to dress out and get in order after this so-."

"Everyone has a free day in P.E. today, so you don't have to worry much."

Of course. "Um..okay. So, what's up, Ms. Monceaux?"

She laughed, looking at me. "Sweetheart, cut the crap. I know you told where you were, and I got questioned."

"Why would you-?"

"I know your father, Cheyenne. And I know that there's more to the story, more so than you could imagine. If you try to get closer and play good cop like your mother, you might get hurt. And..I don't want to see you get hurt," She murmured the last part, stepping closer to me.

Her tone made my stomach churn and drop to my toes. What the fuck was her problem? "I..I'm not feeling so well. C-Could I call my mother?"

The smile twisted itself into a sick grin and she leaned closer to me. "I'd be careful if I were you, honey. You never know how much a story can be twisted..how a person can be who they say they are..or if you can really trust someone to keep all your dirty little secrets."

She was an inch away from me, and my head was spinning. I didn't know what any of this meant, or if I should even worry--but something just wasn't right. At all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's where the mystery/crime starts coming in!
Comments??