The Mess I Made

Chapter Two.

The car ride through the town was dead silent. No words passed between me and the woman driving. She seemed mad. I knew because I could almost feel the anger seething from her. Tempted to tell her Just drop me off right here, I kept my mouth shut. I had no words of sympathy for her when I, myself, didn't want to leave home. This was against my will.

Sighing to myself, I looked out the window. Everyone was dressed nicely, the sky was cloudless, no one was fighting or gambling. What is this place? It can't be close to home. I rubbed my eyes in frustration with the butt of my palms and stared at my beaten up tennie shoes. Where was I going?, I asked myself then, Why are you taking me? I couldn't let myself look nervous so I just continued looking around her car.

They took me from my mom, who needed me. Sure, I wasn't the most cared for child and I worked all the time, but my mom did love me. Even if she was too high to realize it all the time. I knew because when she came back from the Rehabilitation unit she was clean. She was my mother then and she told me she cared, she'd cook, she'd clean, we were okay. Then her friends came back.

I shook my head at the thought and rubbed my arms lightly. Now I don't know where I'm going. I can't even begin to think of what's coming towards me at 50 miles per hour. Nothing is even adding up right now. Nothing wants to ,either. I think it's all just working against me.

"How are you doing, Samantha?" the lady asked as I looked up from my thoughts.

"It's just Sam. Only my mom can call me Samantha," I told her, she just nodded.

After that the silence grew more tense and she must've felt it. Because she kept looking at me in her rear view mirror. Not a word escaped her mouth, making me the one to break the silence. Now, I know I should've left it quiet, but I was stupid then.

"So, do you have any pets?" I asked; I felt awkward.

"No, just a daughter. She's a year older then you and she's quite a handful at times, but I wouldn't trade her for the world," she told me, now looking at the road.

"I use to have this old dog named Katch with a K," I told her as she laughed some, "I never knew what breed he was, but he was awesome. He was my best friend until the dog catcher took him away."

"I guess it was just his turn to get caught," she said as I shrugged.

"I don't know," I told her.