The Mess I Made

Chapter Three

Three Doors Down's "It's Not My Time" blared through my earphones as I opened my bedroom door to find no one here yet. I chewed on my bottom lip, suddenly now very curious as to what my new..sister would be like.

How old would she be?

Would she annoy the shit out of me?

Could I pretend to like her, or would we actually get along?


Numerous thoughts like these swirled in my mind before I heard a hushed voice from behind the apartment door. I rolled my eyes before sitting on the couch, propping my feet up rather lazily as the door opened. I saw my Mom standing there and a girl, who appeared to my age, standing behind her, bag in her hand.

"Sam, this is Cheyenne," Mom called, setting her keys on the counter, raising an eyebrow at me. It was almost as if she expected me to say something to her.

"Hey," Sam said, shifting almost nervously from foot to foot.

I merely nodded in response, looking back at my Ipod. My Mother cleared her throat, once again giving me a pointed look. "Cheyenne, aren't you going to show her around?"

I sighed softly, getting off of the couch and pressing pause on the song. I pointed to the long hall, and smirked. "My room, Mom's room, and the bathroom. Obviously this is the living room, and over there's the kitchen. Need anything else?"

"Cheyenne," Mom hissed, turning the faucet on.

"Alright, fine."

I huffed, wrapping my earphones around the small Ipod, and grabbed her bag from her. "I guess you'll be staying in my room."

Olivia cleared her throat, ensuing an eyeroll from me. "Sorry, let me show you to our room."

"Much better, hon."

As I turned to face Sam, I could have sworn I saw a smirk flit across her feautures, but I wasn't too sure. I walked to my room, and left the door open, setting her bag on my bed. I took a glance at the purple walls, most of which was covered in posters, clippings from concerts, or lyrics out of a book. The room itself was simple enough, seeing as that I had a fairly sized bed, a medium sized tv, desk and computer, full-length mirror, double sets of dressers, and a closet.

"So..this is it."

"Nice room," She remarked, sitting on the bed lightly, seemingly almost afraid I'd snap at her for sitting on my bed. Well, I hadn't been the most welcoming, but I didn't hate the girl. She'd done nothing wrong, at least to my knowledge.

"Uh, thanks."

For the next few minutes, we sat in silence, both of us at a loss of words. I could tell that she wasn't exactly thrilled about being here, just as I wasn't exactly thrilled at having a new habitant here. Though I felt this way, I knew that in time, things might be different.

"Do you mind if I un-pack?" She finally asked, her blue eyes meeting my brown ones.

"Oh, of course not. Sorry," I muttered, stepping out of her way. "My closet's half empty, and I don't use the other set of drawers. Feel free to do whatever."

"Thanks."

"Yeah," I said easily, shutting the door softly behind me as I left the room. I found my mom in the kitchen, preparing, or..attempting to, spaghetti. I love her, don't get me wrong, I do. But..when it comes to cooking..she isn't the most advanced. Sure, she can make simple things and I enjoy it, but the first night we get Sam? She should try for pizza.

"Mom, I love you, but maybe you should order in."

She turned around to glare at me, sprinkling garlic powder into the red sauce. As you can never have too much garlic, right? "Are you trying to tell me that I can't cook?"

"No, Ma, that isn't it at all," I laughed, kissing her cheek softly. "It's just..pizza's better."

"Thanks, Chey," She replied flatly, lips curving into a frown.

"Tomorrow night, could we have shepard's pie?"

"It depends."

"On..?"

"On if I have to work late, Cheyenne. You know I'm rarely home."

"I know," I said with a sigh, stirring the tomatoe sauce in with the rest.

"Besides, I made spaghetti because Sam told me she liked it."

"Right."

"Honey, I know this wont be easy for you, but could you try to get along with her?"

"I'll try," I said, holding back a sigh. "But only because I love you."

"Thank you. Now, could you go get Sam and tell her that dinner's ready?"

"Yes ma'am."

I knocked on the door, jumping slightly when the door swung open before I had my mouth open. "Dinner's ready. I heard."

"What the hell? How?"

She merely smiled and sat down, leaving me curious as to what would happen next for us. Maybe I had finally met my match.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
Thoughts?