Stop and Stare

1/1

Late one night, a Tuesday, there was a banging on my door. I had a doorbell, and yet people still insisted on knocking – I don’t understand why. It wasn’t as though I was going to answer the door with any more enthusiasm because they knocked. I begrudgingly got up, though, and went to my front door. I could already see the shadow of the group outside through the frosted glass before I even opened my door. Sighing, already knowing what was about to happen, I pulled my front door open. “So,” my best mate Steve said, stepping into my flat house without invitation. “We’re going out.”
“No we’re not,” I said, shaking my head and retreating back into the living room to sit in front of the television again.
“Yes we are,” Steve argued and I rolled my eyes but didn’t pay him any attention.
“Jon, we’re worried about you,” Ben said as he fell to sit beside me on the sofa. “You haven’t left the house in days. We get that you’re…bummed about Sarah, but life’s too short to sit around moping.” I glanced at him, and then at Steve and at the other 3 guys who I considered friends. I wanted to tell them the truth, the real reason behind mine and Sarah’s break up, but I just couldn’t.
“I’m not moping,” I said stubbornly.
“We get it,” Steve said. “I mean, 2 years is a long time to be with someone only to have it end so…abruptly. But you have to get back out there, meet someone new.” I sighed and let my head fall back onto the sofa. I stared at the white ceiling and knew that they wouldn’t leave me alone until I agreed to go out with them, whether that be now, tomorrow, in a week or even in a month. They wouldn’t stop. So it was better just to get it out the way.
“Fine,” I sighed wearily.
“Awesome,” Steve grinned. “Go change.”
“Where are we going?” I asked as I stood up.
“A club,” he said. I’d never really been a fan of clubbing but what the hell, it was only for one night, I could handle that.

I quickly changed into a pair of clean jeans, a white t-shirt and a red button-up over the top. Sure, it wasn’t an amazing look, but it would do for now. It’s not like I was intending on meeting anyone anyway.

--

About 40 minutes later, Steve, Ben and the other guys all pulled me into a queue for a club. I couldn’t see the name of the club, nor had I ever been in it, but the guys all had more experience of these things than me, so I didn’t argue. Not that my argument would have been acknowledged anyway. The bouncers at the front of the queue checked mine and Ben’s ID – the rest of the guys apparently looked their age, while we didn’t. Typical. I was 22, but looked about 16…

Once inside, I realised exactly what sort of club my friends had brought me to. There were half dressed women everywhere – serving men seated at tables as well as dancing on a dimly lit stage. I turned to Steve and glared at him. “This is a strip club,” I told him and he grinned.
“I know,” he said. “Perfect way to get your mind off Sarah.” I sighed and rolled my eyes but didn’t say anything. I couldn’t, really, without telling them that I was gay. And I just wasn’t ready for that yet. It seemed as though we were right on time, as not five minutes later – after having time to order a round of drinks – the show started.

I sat awkwardly for a few minutes, watching the women on the stage, but not getting the enjoyment out of it that my friends seemed to be. And then my neck started tingling, as though someone was watching me, and I turned around in my chair. I let my eyes scan around the dimly lit club, and then my gaze landed on a guy behind the bar. He wasn’t looking at me – his focus was on a glass in his hands…but maybe it had been on me a minute ago. I bit my lip as I considered him for a moment. He had dark hair that looked black in the lighting, was slim and definitely taller than me. I wanted to get a closer look. And then his gaze lifted and he met my eyes, a soft smile pulling at the corners of his lips. I bit my lip harder to stop from smiling. “I’m going to get a drink,” I said to Ben, who just nodded once in reply. I don’t think he even heard what I said. I got up and slowly walked over to the bar, nervous about the whole situation. I was at a strip club…why would there be any gay guys here…? Nevertheless, I went to sit on a barstool near the cute bartender and he seemed to instantly come to stand by me.
“What can I get you?” he asked.
“Vodka and coke,” I smiled, gazing into his eyes, which I could now see were a dark green.
“Coming right up,” he smiled and I swear my heart flipped in my chest. Only a moment later, he placed the drink in front of me and I gave him the money. Not to sound too clichéd, but when our fingers touched…wow. Knowing that that could happen, it was no wonder I didn’t feel that way about Sarah, anyway. We just didn’t have that…spark. I looked up into the guy’s eyes once again, to find him gazing at me intensely. I smiled softly and thanked him for the drink. He just nodded and started serving the other people at the bar. Even if he was straight…he was still nice to watch, nice to look at. And I don’t think there was any chance that he was gay, because why would he be working here if he was?

I stayed at the bar for the next half an hour, watching the guy serving people and completely ignoring the stage where the semi-naked women were dancing. As the women progressed through stages of nakedness, the rush around the bar died down. “So, aren’t you going to watch the show?” I turned towards the smooth voice to find the bartender leaning against the bar in front of me.
“Nah…” I shrugged. “It’s not my sort of thing… My friends thought I’d have a good time.” I nodded towards the table where my friends were all drinking and ogling the women on the stage.
“Well, they all seem to be having a good time,” he said and I turned back to him, to see him turn his attention back to me after watching my friends.
“Yeah, I doubt they even know I’m not there,” I smiled. “They brought me to cheer me up, but it’s probably just ‘cause they wanted an excuse to go to a strip club…”
“Why did you need cheering up?” he asked and I blinked before looking up at him.
“My girlfriend and I just broke up,” I told him and he nodded, but I thought I saw his face fall a fraction. But I wasn’t sure.
“Another drink?” he asked and I smiled and nodded. He made me the same, only this time, he didn’t charge me. I shot him a smile as I sipped at the alcohol.

For another 45 minutes or so, I sat at the bar, chatting with the guy – whose name I found out was Sam. He kept giving me drinks every time I finished one, and always refused to take my money. “If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were trying to get me drunk…” I said. Sure, I was probably already passed tipsy…but I was okay with that. Sam just shot me a smile and put another drink in front of me.
“Maybe I am,” he smiled, sending me a wink before going to serve someone else. And I swear I fell a little bit in love with him at that second.

“Heyyyy, Jonnyyyy,” Steve said as he finally remembered me. He slung his arm over my shoulder, leaning pretty much all of his weight on me.
“Hey,” I smiled. Yeah, I was pretty drunk, but obviously not as bad as he was.
“You ready to go?” he asked and I hesitated. No, I wasn’t.
“I think I’m gonna stay a little while longer,” I told him, glancing over towards Sam. “Don’t worry about me, I’ll get a taxi.”
“Are you sure?” he asked and I nodded with a smiled. “Ah, seen something you like, huh?” he grinned at me, shooting a glance towards the stage, where women were still dancing. I just smiled at him. “Call me tomorrow, okay?”
“Yeah,” I nodded. He slapped me on the shoulder and then headed towards the door, where I’m guessing the rest of the guys were waiting. I turned back to Sam, who was watching me.
“You going?” he asked but I shook my head.
“No, think I’m gonna hang around a little longer,” I smiled, earning a grin from him, which he tried to unsuccessfully hide. I felt a little skip in my heart as I realised that me staying had made him happy.
“I get off in 15 minutes…you wanna hang around till then?” he asked and I smiled widely and nodded.
“Yeah.”

Not much later, I finally saw the entirety of Sam’s body. For the last 2 hours or so, he’d been standing behind a waist high bar. But once he’d emerged from behind it, I could see that he lower half was just as gorgeous and perfect as his top half. He’d been to the back, got his coat, and was now ready to go. “Okay?” he asked me and I smiled as I quickly stood from the barstool, only to stumble. My head was spinning a little bit more than I’d expected it to. Sam easily caught my arm and held me upright. “So…do you wanna go get a drink or something?” he asked and I chuckled.
“I think I’m already pretty drunk…” I said, gazing up into his green eyes. “Do you want to come back to mine for coffee?” Sam gazed down into my eyes and then smiled and nodded.
“Sure,” he said. “I’m driving.” I giggled again and nodded, clinging onto him as we walked out of the club so that I wouldn’t lose what little balance I had left. He wrapped his arm around my waist to support me, and I happily pressed myself against him.
“Where’s your car?” I asked once we were outside in the cool air.
“Just behind the club,” he said, leading me that way.

Sam held the door open for me and I smiled softly as I climbed in. He closed the door behind me and then came around the other side of the car and climbed in behind the wheel. I sighed as I leant back against the leather seats and closed my eyes. “Hey,” Sam said and my eyes heavily opened. “You can’t fall asleep; you need to direct me to yours.”
“Oh, yeah,” I frowned, sitting up straight to keep myself awake. But I was so tired. I managed to stay conscious, however, and was able to direct Sam through the 15 minute drive to my house.
“Maybe I shouldn’t have plied you with all those drinks…” Sam mused once he’d parked and he was trying to help me out of the car.
“Mmmm, you have no one to blame but yourself,” I told him and Sam chuckled.
“Can’t argue with that…” he nodded, wrapping his arm around my waist. “So this is your house?”
“Yep,” I nodded as I tried to walk up to the front door without embarrassing myself. I fumbled for my keys and then tried desperately to focus my eyes enough so that I could unlock my door. After a few tries, Sam just took my keys from my hands and did it for me. I grinned at him and giggled, before opening my front door and stumbling inside, clutching onto Sam’s hand. “Coffee?” I asked him, leading him into my kitchen.
“Sure,” he smiled. I crossed my kitchen and picked up my kettle, filling it with water before switching it on. I turned around to see Sam perched on the counter, watching me. I smiled slightly and then asked the question that had been swimming around in my mind all evening.
“Why do you work at a strip club?” I asked him and he smiled gently.
“Why not? It’s good money,” he said and I nodded.
“So…it’s just the money you’re interested in?” I asked, fighting a blush that was creeping onto my cheeks.
“Yep,” he said, a smirk on his lips. “I figured that working in a strip club would be the best thing, seeing as I’m not attracted to the girls on the stage.” I looked over at him for a moment, before turning back to the kettle. After taking a few deep breaths, I turned back around, only to be surprised at Sam’s sudden closeness. I hadn’t even heard him move, but now he was only a few inches from me.
“Um…” I whispered, but Sam just smiled and leant forward to kiss me. I instantly melted against his chest and his arms wrapped around me tightly. It was a light, innocent kiss but when I pulled back I was light headed for a whole new reason. I looked up into Sam’s sparkling green eyes and smiled softly. “Did you get me drunk so that I would kiss you? Because I’m pretty sure I would do it sober…” I told him and he laughed softly, bringing his hand up to brush my hair away from my eyes.
“Drinks were all I had to give you in the hopes that you might get the hint that I liked you…” he told me. I smiled softly and stretched up to wrap my arms around his shoulders. Instead of replying, I just kissed him once again, only this time slightly deeper.

--

When I blinked my eyes open, I was instantly aware of the throbbing headache behind my eyes. I groaned and threw my arm over my eyes, but then I heard a light chuckle beside me. My heart was racing in my chest as I removed my arm from over my eyes and I turned to look at the person lying on the bed beside me. Sam was lying beside me, propped up against the pillows. “I hate you,” I mumbled, rolling over and burrowing my head into my pillow. Sam’s hand came to rest on my hair, playing with the strands gently.
“Where’d you keep your pain killers?” he asked and I sighed before rolling over once again.
“Bathroom cupboard, top shelf,” I told him. He nodded and leant down to press a kiss to my forehead before getting out of bed and going in search of the pills. I couldn’t help but smile to myself. Nothing had happened between Sam and I last night – nothing more than kissing anyway – but still, it was one of the best nights of my life.

Sam strolled back into the room, dressed in only his boxer briefs and I smiled, my headache suddenly seeming a lot better than a few seconds before. I took the pills and glass of water from him, swallowing the pills quickly, before patting the bed beside me. Sam grinned before climbing back into bed under the covers, pulling me into his side. “So, um…now what?” I asked curiously, drawing patterns on his chest.
“Well, I was thinking that I could take you out to breakfast,” he said and I bit my lip to stop myself from smiling too widely.
“Sounds good to me,” I told him.
“And then, depending on how breakfast goes, we could come back here or go to mine and just…spend the day together,” he said and I nodded.
“Mmm,” I mumbled, trying not to get too ahead of myself. It was only breakfast after all. “I need a shower.”
“Okay,” Sam smiled. “We’ll go when you’re ready.” I smiled at him and nodded before planting a tender kiss to his lips.
“Help yourself to anything in the kitchen,” I told him before getting out of bed and going into the bathroom to shower and get ready.

About half an hour later, I was showered, dressed and ready to go out. I went into the kitchen to find Sam, but he wasn’t in there. I frowned with concern but then heard the television on and smiled, realising how stupid I felt, before heading into the living room. Sam was sitting on the sofa watching a cartoon that I’d never seen before. “What are you watching?” I asked him, sitting down beside him.
“Nothing,” he said, quickly changing the channel. I looked at him with a frown and he sighed.
“My brother likes it and makes me watch it with him,” he told me and I smiled.
“How old is he?” I asked.
“6,” he said with a soft smile. “I have to babysit a lot…”
“Aw, aren’t you just a sweetie,” I smirked, before taking his hand and pulling him up. “I believe you said something about breakfast?” He smiled and nodded, linking his fingers with mine, placing a light kiss to my cheek.
“I believe I did,” he smiled, leading me out of the house and into his car once again.

--

“You know, I was dreading last night…going to a strip club,” I told Sam as I chewed thoughtfully on a piece of watermelon. “But it worked out pretty well, really.”
“I’ll say,” Sam smiled, reaching across the table to entwine our fingers. I smiled at him and I realised that I’d never been happier than I was at that very moment.
“Sam,” I said softly. “Um, no one…knows about me yet. I mean, I broke up with Sarah because I knew. But I haven’t told anyone yet.”
“Oh…” Sam said with a frown, pulling his hand out of mine.
“No,” I said, tightening my grip and not letting him go. “I want…um…will you help me?” Sam grinned, his beautiful green eyes twinkling.
“Really?” he asked, clearly happy. “You’re ready?”
“Yeah,” I smiled. “I didn’t have a reason to come out…but now I have you.”
“I like that,” Sam smiled, running his thumb over my palm, tickling me slightly. “And of course I’ll help you. I’m not going to let you get away, Jonny.” I smiled at him and leant forward to kiss him softly, regardless of the fact that we were in a public place.
“Be my boyfriend,” I whispered against his lips. Sam grinned once again, and only then did I realise that it was very rare for him not to be smiling. He was a genuinely happy person…or maybe it was just the situation. Because I couldn’t stop smiling either.
“Yes,” Sam whispered. He suddenly stood, surprising me, but he just moved around the table and sat down beside me. I smiled and scooted closer to him and we held hands under the table. And I knew, from right then, that this was forever.