Seer

Introduction

I sit back in my chair; absentmindedly playing with my pen as my teacher drones on and on about some Greek myth. In retrospect, I didn’t need thing class. I knew everything that could possibly be known about Greek Mythology. The subject always fascinated me since a young age. I’d spend days after days at the library, researching everything about the subject. I only took this class because it was a credit requirement; plus I need the A.

“Hey Fate!” A fellow classmate says as they come running up towards me. “There is a kegger tonight, you in?”

“I’ve got work at the bar.” I reply quickly before heading to my next class. It wasn’t a total lie; I did have to work at my mom’s bar tonight but that wasn’t until closing. I just never thought I fit in with these people. Ever since I was young, I always felt like something was wrong. It was like part of me was missing. I’ve told my mom about it but she just shrugged it off like it was nothing. Then when I started getting visions of people that I’ve never met; I started straying away from people. Sure I talked to them, but hanging out at parties or concerts was out of the question. I didn’t need people thinking I was a freak.

“Mom, I’m home!” I call into the house as I walked in. I toss my bag onto the couch before heading into the kitchen; knowing my mother is usually in there before work anyway. I walk into the kitchen and it’s completely empty. There isn’t the strong smell of coffee filling the air or anything. But her keys are still on the counter. “Ok this is weird.” I mutter to myself before heading towards the fridge. As I neared it, I saw something smeared onto the floor. It was a dark red color. I gulp as I tried to shake the idea of it possibly being blood out of my mind. I can feel my body tense up as I follow the trail outside. As soon as I open the door to the back porch, a blood curding scream escapes my lips. My mother’s lifeless body laid on the porch; blood surrounding her body. I collapse onto the floor as I silently sob. I don’t move; I couldn’t. I was frozen with fear. I glance up at my mom’s body with blurred vision. Despite the fact my vision was blurred, something didn’t look human about the marks on my mother’s body. I crawl over; the closer I got the clearer it became. These markings weren’t human, it was animal-like.