This. Seems. Familiar.

001

This. Seems. Familiar.

I glanced around the room. Everyone was staring at me and only me. Even the teacher was staring at me. I wondered if I wore my pajama bottoms by accident to school again. With a quick glance downward I was reassured that, no, I was wearing my favorite pair of skinny blue jeans. So why is everyone staring at me? I'm wearing my make-up, my shirt is right side out, I'm wearing my vans, I have my books, I turned in my homework... What was I missing?

"Anistasia, pleas, pull yourself out of your day dream and answer the question on the board."

Oh, that's why. Everyone is waiting for me to answer Ms. Brooks' math problem. Ugh, I hate math. Why am I even in this class? Oh yeah, it's required for me to graduate. Ms. Brooks began to tap her foot at me. Apparently, she's impatient.

I glanced up at the problem, it looked hard. Did I mention how much I hate math? "Miss Summers?" Ms. Brooks questioned impatiently.

I squinted one eye and looked at the problem, "Four?" I answered.

The class snickered, meaning I was wrong.

A boy next to me raised his hand high in the air, "I know the answer, Ms. Brooks." he said happily.

"Yes, Mr. Anderson, will you kindly answer the question on the board?" she asked, while she stared me down, displeased with me.

"Five." Dillion said as he smirked over to me.

I sank down in my desk, just waiting for the class to be over already. Thank God it's my last class of the day.

Eventually, after Ms. Brooks called on a few more students to answer questions, the bell rang, signaling class has ended for the day.

Yay, it's finally Friday.

Now I can go home and work my ass off.

Sometimes I cannot decide which is a better place for me. School or home. They are both bad. People treat me badly in both destinations.

I guess, the walk from one to the other is the best place for me.

Every day, I walk to school from home and from school to home. That is the best place for me.

It's my safest place. I can be myself, with my ipod ear buds in my ears and just be happy for a little while.

I slid my books from the desk and walked to my locker. There, I turned the combination and shoved everything inside of it where it will wait for me until I retrieved it on Monday morning when school starts up again.

I grabbed my ipod from my locker and shoved the ear buds in my ears before I turned on the devise and walked from the school campus, beginning my hour walk home.

The first song began to flow from the ear buds. My most favorite song in the entire world, at the moment that is.

I fly like paper get high like planes
If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name
If you come around here, I make 'em all day
I get one down in a second if you wait
I fly like paper get high like planes
If you catch me at the border I got visas in my name
If you come around here, I make 'em all day
I get one down in a second if you wait

Sometimes I feel like sitting on trains
Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Everyone's a winner now we're making that fame
Bonafide hustler making my name
Sometimes I feel like sitting on trains
Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Everyone's a winner now we're making that fame
Bonafide hustler making my name

All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bongs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bongs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system

No one on the corner has swagger like us
Hit me on my Burner prepaid wireless
We pack and deliver like UPS trucks
Already going hell just for pumping that gas
No one on the corner has swagger like us
Hit me on my Burner prepaid wireless
We pack and deliver like UPS trucks
Already going hell just for pumping that gas

All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money

M.I.A.
Third world democracy
Yeah, I got more records than the K.B.G.
Sure, uh, no funny business
Some some some I some murder
Some some I let go
Some some some I some murder
Some some I let go

All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money
All I wanna do is (BANG BANG BANG BANG)
And (KKKAAA CHING)
And I take your money

I paused at a street signal just as the song ended and another started. In order to press the button to cross the street, I just lazily leaned up against it and it seemed to work somehow.

I watched as the populars drove off in their nice sports cars. Oh, how I wished I had my own car. I can drive; I just can't afford my own car. Hell, my mom can't even afford a new refrigerator we need desperately.

The frickin' Kool-Aid is always frozen over when I go to get some and it's in the door of the fridge. THE DOOR!!!

Salad dressings, mayo, and cans of soda have also frozen up in there.

I told my mom we either need to save up for a new fridge or invest in an ice pic, but what does she do? Nothing. She's too far knee deep in her booze and her boyfriend.

Her boyfriend... Now there's the biggest ass I have ever seen. He doesn't care about my mom at all, let alone me or my sister. He just stays with her so he can have some of her beer money.

Scum bag.

Finally, the bird chirped, signaling I could cross the street. I glanced in both directions just to make sure there were no idiots who planned on running the red light. No, it seemed everyone had stopped. I stepped out into the street and quickly crossed it, just as another song started up on my ipod.

As cars full of students passed me by on the street I could hear their excited tones. Something about a party tonight.

A big bash. One that will always be remembered.

I don't think I'll go.

Eventually, the long walk home ended all too soon.

Before I could even enter my house I heard my mom and her boyfriend arguing.

That means it is one of two situations.

(1) They just ran out of booze and were arguing about who's turn it was to go get some more.

(2) They just purchased more booze and were arguing over who gets more of it.

This is a normal night at my home.

Fighting.

With each other and then taking their anger out on me.

I stood in front of the door, trying to decide whether or not to go in or turn around and find something else to do for an hour or so until they cool down a bit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics in this chapter:
Paper Planes - M.I.A.