Status: On hiatus

New to the Pack

"Why isn't he here?"

The alpha blinked after him; but allowed him to leave,

Leaving his plate on the table he went right up the stairs to Caroline's room. He began to think; How could he be so careless? She's just a pup! No wonder Zacky left.

Matt entered her room to see Jimmy holding one of her hands and petting her hair softly.

“Is she asleep or unconscious?” Matt stood behind Jimmy.

“She's only asleep. She'll be okay.” He said flatly.

Matt growled making the far less dominant wolf apologize. Matt dismissed Jimmy and took his place on the bed, sitting my her head.

He looked at her and this thoughts drifted.

Matt's POV
How could I let this happen? Alpha's don't make mistakes and I may have lost Zacky for this. I need to pay more attention to things, especially Caroline. Zacky really cares for her and probably planned on asking my permission to ask her if she will be his.

I would tell him yes of course but...now he may not even come back. Lone wolves don't last long but Zacky is a good survivalist so he should be good for a few weeks. I am proud of him for not taking his anger out on anyone, or challenging me, but leaving.

I hope he comes back. This has never happened before, it will be an adjustment for everyone.

But how will Caroline take it? She could resent me and leave as well; ah but she knows I would not allow it. If she did somehow manage to leave I would find her. Having a bitch in the pack, or any pack, is rare. A lot of packs would pursue her, force her to join their pack then impregnate her. Use her to reproduce. But I could never allow that. NEVER.

Or she could fall into a depression, her instincts need Zacky. They know that he is putting a claim on her, and they like it. Her mood could decline and not even Jimmy would be able to cheer her up.
She could possibly not notice his absence, and move on. But I highly doubt that. Most likely she'll notice he isn't here at once.

3rd

He stood and left the room to finish his breakfast. Everyone was where they were except for Zacky's knocked over chair. He sat down and everyone ate silently.

“Matt?” Johnny asked, waiting for the alpha to look at him before gesturing to the fallen chair.

Matt nodded and watched Johnny set it upright before taking care of his and Zacky's plates.

Matt put his head in his hands. Not sure what he was going to do. Not sure what Caroline was going to do.

The house was quiet the rest of the day. Not much talking; a thick silence in its place.

The next morning, Caroline awoke. She felt her instincts search for something that wasn't there. A deep sadness came over her; it felt as if half of her was missing.

She sat up, despite the head rush she received and made her way to the door. As soon as she twisted the knob, everyone's head snapped up to look at the stairs.

Matt stood and headed up them to see Caroline's bedroom door open and Zacky's as well. He looked into Zacky's room and saw her laying on his bed hugging a pillow.

She looked at him. “Why isn't he here?”

Matt bit his lip and went in, sitting beside her. “He got upset and left.”

Tears welled in her eyes and she pulled the pillow closer. “He will return, in time.”

She nodded, trying not to let her tears spill over. Matt could feel how much this hurt her, he felt guilty. His elder brother feelings for her persuaded him cradle her in his lap. She clutched his shirt and rested her head on his chest, biting her lip to refrain from crying.

“It's okay to cry.” he said as soft as he could.

“No. I won't. I just...need to be held.”

“Okay.”

And he held her until she fell asleep in his arms. He tucked her into Zacky's bed, and left the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's really short. I'm sorry I made you wait so long! I got writers block then kinda forgot about this. Keep the comments coming so I won't forget again!

Do you like this side of Matt? Did you see it coming?