Status: Back on Track :D

I Spun the Bottle

Chapter Fourteen

I Spun the Bottle: Chapter Fourteen

Song for this chapter: “1, 2, 3, 4” by Plain White T’s

I closed and locked my maroon locker before heading towards the front door. It was finally Friday. For the past three days, since I went to the mall with Jace, Taylor, and Stacy, David had been trying to talk to me a lot more than he usually did. And it was becoming harder and harder to avoid him. Just when I thought I’d lose him, he’d spring up from nowhere. It was like a never-ending game of hide-and-seek.

And I was losing.

“Lyn, hey Lyn! Guess what? You’re invited!” A cheery redhead yelled down the hall.

I turned to see Penny practically skipping down the hallway, somehow dodging the other students who were staring at her like she was an alien from another galaxy. She didn’t seem to mind though.

“I’m invited?” I repeated, when she was within earshot, a tentative smile reaching my lips as I glanced up at Penny.

“Yep, it’s my seventeenth birthday’s tomorrow, and you’re invited!” She exclaimed happily, handing me a light pink envelope.

“Oh, um thanks.” I nodded; surprised that she was actually inviting me. I hadn’t known Penny for very long, but so far she was the closest candidate I had to being a best friend.

“What’s wrong? You don’t want to go?” She inquired, probably noticing the small strain in my voice.

“Well, it’s just…” I trailed off, not sure how to continue. “The last time I went to a high school party, I had to sneak out of my house. And I practically got drunk, sprained my ankle, ran away from the law, and had to spend the night at David’s apartment. I think that’s a huge, blinking sign telling me I shouldn’t go to any of them anymore.”

“Wow that does sound bad… But this time could be different, you know? It could be first time’s bad luck. Every heard of the saying first the worst, second the best?” She replied optimistically.

“Yeah, when we were in elementary school, lining up.” I frowned, not really seeing the link between then and now.

“I was hoping the kids in your school didn’t do that too.” She grinned sheepishly at me, “but I promise this time’s going to be better Lyn! And my house is like four blocks down from yours.”

“It is?”

“Yes! So sneaking out won’t be a problem right?”

“Well,” I winced, feeling bad that I’d have to crush her excited grin. “It’s not that simple. Last time it was easier to sneak out because my parents were out on a date, and they only do that like once a month.”

“Aww,” she frowned, clearly thinking of a way to get around my parents, “I’ve got it!”

“Got what?” Another voice chirped in.

Turning my head to the side, I noticed Cam stride up to us, slinging an arm around Penny’s shoulder. Penny smiled up at her boyfriend, and for a moment, I thought I saw her eyes twinkle.

“I got a way for Lyn to sneak out of the house on Saturday.” Penny continued, her eye darting back to me.

“You do? How?” I inquired, curiously.

“Ask them.” She simply stated.

Cam and I both shared quizzical looks, which were aimed at Penny.

“Ask who?”

“Your parents, of course! Why don’t you tell them that you’re sleeping over tomorrow night? That way I can pick you up before the party starts, and you can help me set up.” She beamed, quite proud that she thought of the idea herself.

I let Penny’s idea sink into my thoughts, thinking of the possible outcomes if I asked them, none of which were too bad. What was the worst that could happen? That they tell me no?

“I could try that, but I can’t promise you that they’ll agree.” I finally said.

“Don’t worry Lyn, I bet you can convince them.” Cam grinned encouragingly at me.

“Thanks,” I nodded.

“Text me later and see if you can make it, kay?” Penny said, wrapping an arm around Cam’s waist.

“Okay, I’ll see you later.” I smiled at the couple.

We bid our adieu, and I turned looking for the familiar, rusted pick-up truck that belonged to my older brother. It didn’t take long for me to find one of the only beat-up looking trucks in the parking lot, and when I did, I made my way over to it.

Landon noticed me before I even got halfway to the truck, and he leaned over to the passenger’s side door, unlocking it. I opened the heavy, creaky door and climbed in. My brother seemed to be happy that he got his truck back, even though my mom suggested that he scraped it, so she could buy him a decent one in its replacement. But like always, Landon refused.

“Hey, how was school?” Landon inquired, starting up his car as I buckled in my seatbelt.

“It was fine. I got invited to hang out with someone tomorrow.” I mentioned casually.

“It is another party?”

“…No?”

“Lyn,” Landon frowned, putting his car in drive. “Remember what happened last time you went to a party? It didn’t turn out good.”

“I know what happened, but this one’s different.”

“Oh yeah? How’s that?”

“Well, for one, I won’t have to climb a rocky hill to get to it.” I pointed out, attempting a try at humor.

I received a frown from Landon. “I just don’t think you should go to another party. I nearly had a heart-attack when I didn’t see you in your room the next morning. I thought someone kidnapped you or something.”

“You’re being overdramatic.” This time it was my turn to frown. “And now you’ll know that I’ll be at a friend’s house, which is only like three blocks away from our own house.”

As my brother clicked the right signal button on, he debated with himself mentally. I didn’t see what was so bad about wanting to just hang out with my friends. I mean, it was different than the last time. I actually wanted to go this time. Besides, I learned what not to do when I go to the party.

“How are you planning on telling Mom and Dad?” Landon inquired, glancing at me from the corner of this eye.

“I’m going to ask if I can spend the night at my friend’s house.” I mumbled, quietly.

“That’s it? You’re just going to ask?”

“Pretty much,” I shrugged.

Landon’s truck rolled to a stop in front of our house, and before he could say anything, I hopped out of the car to the front door. For some odd reason, I was a little annoyed with him. I didn’t realize just how overprotective he was. It wasn’t like he never went to a high school party; he probably snuck out every weekend.

I opened the door to my house, and stepped in. The sound the television filled my ears. My eyes darted to the living room to see my Dad sitting on the couch, flipping through the TV.

“Dad?”

“Oh, hey Lyn.” My father greeted with a tired smile, the corner’s of his lips showing his visible wrinkles.

“I thought you were coming home late today.” I mused, taking a seat next to him.

“I was, but I wasn’t feeling too good, so I got off early.”

“Oh, well how’re you feeling now?”

“Better, just tired.” He answered honestly.

“Why don’t you take a nap then?” I suggested, noticing that Landon had just entered the house.

“Dad you’re home already?” My brother asked, closing the front door behind him.

“Yeah, I wasn’t feeling well at work today.”Dad said to Landon, looking up from the television.

“Well, I hope you feel better.”

“Thanks, Landon.” My Dad yawned tiredly.

“No problem,” he replied, walking off in the direction of the kitchen.

“So, how was school today, hun?”

“Er…it was okay.” I replied, suddenly feeling a little nervous.

Now would be a good time to ask him if I could have a sleepover at Penny’s house tomorrow, but I didn’t know how to ask. Should I just blatantly ask him? Or should casually bring it up? I wanted to slap my hand on my forehead. Why was I having such a hard time asking?

“Just okay? Did something bad happen?” Dad inquired, shifting his full attention to me.

“No, nothing bad happened. But I did get invited…to do something.” I responded, nervously.

“Oh yeah? What did you get invited to do?” My father arched one of his eyebrows at me.

“To go to a sleepover.”

“Really? And are you going?”

“You mean I can go?” I said, a little taken aback. I was waiting for the “no” that I usually got when I asked if I could go to a sleepover.

“Lyn, you’re seventeen, almost eighteen years old, I think it’s time that you start making your own decisions. Your mom and I can’t make your choices forever.” Dad smiled, ruffling my hair on my head. “And you’ve always been the responsible one, so I know you’ll make the right choices.”

The words he said stung me a little bit. Even if he didn’t know that he hurt me, I felt myself twitch under his gaze. I may have been responsible a month ago, but after I went to the beach party and did the things I did, I was most definitely not responsible. If I was responsible I would have refused to go to Taylor’s party, and stayed home.

“Lyn?” Dad’s voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah?”

“Are you okay? You looked like you were going to faint.” A worried crease formed on my dad’s forehead

“I’m fine. I was just thinking about something.” I said, waving my hand in front of me dismissively. “I think I’m gonna take a nap. I’ll talk to later. And I hope you feel better, Dad.”

I stood up from the sofa and started for my room. I heard my dad mumble something along the lines of okay and talk to you later. With that, I walked to my room and shut the door. My mind now had clashing thoughts. My dad had given me permission to go to Penny’s birthday party, but he made me feel bad about lying to him without even knowing I was lying to him.

It was like I wanted to go, but at the same time, I didn’t want to go.

I mentally debated with myself for a few minutes. At first, the negatives seemed to outweigh the positives, but then it flip-flopped. My dad said that I should make my own decisions, and it was my choice to go to the party or not. Besides, I learned a lot of things the last time I snuck out. It would be different this time. It would be much, much different.

Pulling out my phone from my pocket, I made my decision, and before I chicken out and changed my mind, I texted Penny.

To Penny: I’m going.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait, and I'm so sorry it's short! :/ I didn't mean to make it this short, but I thought I'd make the party separate from this chapter. :) The next couple of chapters will be better, promise! :)
So who are you guys rooting for? David, Jace, possibly both? lol
Let me know by COMMENTING! :D SUBSCRIBE AND COMMENT! :)