Sequel: It Will Rain

Love On Top

T.G.I.F. Part 1

The next two weeks offered little time for Rowan and Andrew to spend together. With Andrew having back to back away games and Rowan working on the Webcast, plus all the homework and papers that needed to be finished and written. 

Yes, it was frustrating for both of them at times but Rowan knew that it was for the best that she didn't become a distraction for Andrew. The team was doing extremely well as they won soundly against both Duke and Arizona, which was added fuel to Andrew's Heisman campaign.

'Bird is the Word' was approved as soon as Mr. Harmon read Dallas and her's brief description of what they had come up with. Immediately after approval, they went to work on getting a set and props for their 15 minute show. They had even went the Stanford Daily to advertise it, so that there would be an audience. Rowan had her fingers crossed on that part, but other than that they would at least have a good program for whoever decided to watch.

Finally, the moment of truth had finally arrived for Rowan and Dallas. They would be filming their first webcast. Rowan had just gotten out of make up when the gitters set in. She just remembered that she hated being on camera! Why did she chose this major again? Why couldn't she have just stuck with art? Oh yeah, artists don't make money until they are dead. A tap on her shoulder brought her back to the real world,

"Ready to rock?" Dallas asked her with a cocky smile toying at his lips and offered her his fist. Rowan bumped hers against his and said,

"Ready to roll." Then they preceded to take a seat behind the altered News desk. Flipping her hair over her shoulder, Rowan smiled at the camera as the director counted down. 3...2...1...

"Hey, fellow Stanford students, I'm Rowan Kowalski..." She introduced herself and then Dallas cut in,

"And I'm Dallas Compton. And this is..."

Together they shouted, "'Bird is the Word!'"  

Rowan then continue on her own, "Stanford's only Sports Talk Show that let's your, yes YOUR opinions be heard! What's on today's agenda, Dallas?"

Dallas looked between her and the camera before saying,

 "I think we should start off the right way by congratulating the Stanford football team on a spectacular season so far! They are on bye this week so we will have to turn our attention to rooting against all the other PAC-12 teams!"

"Yeah! Like our Arch-Rival Cal and those EVIL Oregon Ducks!" Rowan interjected and a chorus of boos followed,

 "Speaking of which... I'd like to give a shout out to LSU for beating the Ducks in their home opener! Those ducks just gotta learn that they can't beat SEC teams..."

"Yeah, you know, I almost feel sorry for them but... I don't because their Oregon. Speaking of the Ducks. I think it's time for a round of Rowan vs The Campus!" Dallas suggested, pulling out the special deck of questions that he had complied from some polls,

 "The rules are simple we get a caller, who can be anyone and ask them the question. Then they have to choose whether Rowan, the Campus, or both would know the answer to it."

"We have our first caller! Hi, you're on 'Bird is the Word'. What's your name?" Rowan asked.

"My name is Kyle!"

"Okay, Kyle, your question is: What is the shape of the stickers that are given to Stanford players after excellent plays? Will Rowan, the Campus, both, or neither know the answer to this?"

"Both." 'Kyle' confirmed.

"Thank you for having faith in me! It's an axe!" Rowan exclaimed, happily. On the screen showed one of the matching band students, who shouted,

"It's the shape of an Axe."

"Hey, thanks for calling, Kyle! Call again next week to get a chance to win a prize package! Being on my next question!"

"Okay, we have another caller! You're playing 'Rowan vs the Campus!' What's your name?" Dallas asked, flipping through his questions.

"It's Tanna!" A shrill voice stated.

"Tanna, your question is: 'How many different jersey options do the Oregon Ducks have?' Will Rowan, the Campus, both, or neither?"

"Neither." She answered, too quickly. Was she even paying attention?

"Over 72." Rowan guessed because honestly didn't have a clue, then the screen flipped to a random student,

"There are over 384!"

The wrong answer buzzer sounded signaling that they were both wrong.

"Thanks, for calling in Tanna. Call again next week for a chance to win a prize package! The correct answer is: No idea die to the fact that they unveil at least 5 new designs per year. Now it's time for..." Dallas trailed off allowing Rowan to take over,

"Winners and Losers! Today's winner are..."

"Notre Dame Football for defeating Michigan State 31-13." Dallas read off the cue board, there was film from the game being added in. Rowan did the same,

"The Buffalo Bills!" They switched off again,

"And the Detroit Lions! Today's Losers are the..."

"Indianapolis Colts!" Rowan threw out there.

"The Cincinati Reds for losing 3 straight games. Where did their pitching go?" Dallas laughed.

"And last but certainly not least, John Fox! Yeah, yeah, we know the Denver Broncos are 'rebuilding' but come on! Losing to the Raiders at home! Is ridiculous! Come on, man! Play Tebow!" Rowan began to chant as she remembered hearing the Bronco fans chanting for the coach to put former Florida Gator quarterback, Tim Tebow in.

Coincidentally, this lead to the next segment of their show and Rowan's nerves had calmed. She could do this! She wasn't doing anything out of her element. The rest of the show went smoothly from that point except when Rowan threw an Angry Bird at Dallas for making a comment about the Purdue Boilermakers! They were her families favorite team, no matter how horribly they played or lost.

It wasn't 5 minutes after they had wrapped up the episode that Rowan received a text from Andrew:

'Great job on the webcast! The guys think you are amazing because 'you're hot and can talk sports.''

Rowan smiled, 'Had he been showing me off to his friends?' She thought as she texted back,

'Thanks! I'm glad you guys liked it. Tell them to spread the word! Btw how are you?'

Walking out of the studio, Rowan met up with Dallas and Quinn, who were too into each other to notice her presence so she just decided to start towards her next class which was thankfully some study time. As she sat down in one of the quad's libraries to read, 'Les Misérables' by Victor Hugo for her French literature class and she received another text from Andrew,

'Mike, Chris, and Griff are on it and your welcome. I'm pretty good. Glad to have a bye week this week :)'

Rowan smiled at his text because she never quite could tell when he was being sarcastic with his words. 

'Good or bad glad'

He replied, quickly, 'Good. 1) It's a time to get some rest and 2) I was hoping that I would get to spend some time with you.'

'I think that can be arranged... What did you have planned ;)?' 

She typed back and then thumbed the worn pages of the old book as she waited for his reply. She looked around and noticed several groups of students studying together and seemingly enjoying themselves. Quinn and Dallas still hadn't shown up yet, which disappointed Rowan a little bit. She thought they would've noticed that she wasn't there by now and would try to contact her.

"I was thinking that you could choose." Andrew's voice informed her from behind causing Rowan to stiffen up and almost let out a startled squeak. She looked back at him with a bewildered look,
 
"What are you doing in here? I have never seen you in here before."

Andrew smiled down at her. She noted that his beard was longer and fuller than the last time she had see him, which was that Sunday after the San Jose State game. She had never liked facial hair on guys that was until Andrew. She also noticed that he was wearing a red Stanford football shirt and khaki shorts. A standard for him, she amused.

"I come in here a lot actually. I usually sit in the back with my friends. I didn't know you came in here." He threw back at her and came around to the front of the couch, "May I sit down?"

Rowan rolled her eyes at his chivalry, but nodded,

 "You don't have to ask, Andrew and no, I don't usually come in here. I just like to change it up when I have time to and today I have that spare time."

Andrew sat down, putting his arm behind her head which inclined Rowan to lean into him. The reaction he had been hoping for.

"So you don't like monotonous things?"

She nodded her head in agreement, "Having the same schedule everyday killed me in high school."

"I bet." Andrew smiled as he thought of how much he dreaded high school after football was over. Being at Stanford was different for him though, there was more to do and to work on,

"So what do you want to do on Friday?"

"Where at and when on Friday?" Rowan inquired, eyes glancing around the room for any  wondering eyes.

"My place and whenever. I don't have Friday classes in the afternoon." Andrew informed her. When she didn't answer right away he was worried he might have been being too pushy when he suggested the notion, so he leaned closer and told her in low voice,

 "It doesn't have to be my place if you don't want to. I just-" Rowan placed a finger to his lips to silence him.

"No, your place is fine. I would probably get kicked out anyway and have to find a lonely soul to spend time with,"

 Andrew sent her a questioning look and asked, "Why would you... Oh, your friends are... Yeah?"

Rowan laughed at his awkwardness and rested her head on his broad shoulder. In response, Andrew's hand, hesitantly, slipped from behind her head to running up and down her upper arm causing goosebumps to raise on her silky skin. 

"Yeah," Rowan hummed in agreement and lifted her head to look at him,

 "How about dinner, movie, and whatever else I come up with between then and now?"

Andrew nodded, "Does pasta sound good? I'm not really good at cooking anything else. What movie?"

"Pasta sounds great any day." Her statement made him laugh. He had never met a girl more willing to eat carbs, but he also knew she would be dying to burn them off,

"What movie? Well, that is for me to know and for you to find out, Sparky." She winked at him. His face grew warm because he knew she was playing with him now

 "What time is it?" She ask, suddenly and sat up, stretching.

"1:30, why?" Andrew told as he looked at his old Samsung which Rowan had yet to make fun of him about.

"Shit, not again." She groaned, knowing that if she started now she would be late to her French class,

 "I'm sorry, Sparky. I must be really bad with timing but I have a class I must get to."

They both stood at the same time, Andrew helped her gather up her things noting the book she now clutched in her arms. "What class is that?"

Rowan slung her tote her shoulder and stated, "Un classe de littérature français. In English, I have a French literature class."

"Cultured, aren't we, eh?" Andrew teased, opening his arms up for a goodbye hug. Rowan hit him in the chest first, but then stepped into his embrace, which made her feel warm and safe. She didn't want to pull away from him but she knew she HAD to get to class or Madame would flip out at her for being late again.

"Keep in touch, Sparky." She winked and 
walked away. Andrew knew then he needed a nickname for her but what would be fitting for a girl like her....

"Sure thing, Boston." He called after her, which made her stop and turn around with her mouth open in surprise. He had finally gotten one up one her! He waved at her and she only shook her head and walked away again.

'Friday couldn't get here any faster.' Andrew thought as he walked back to the room where his friends were studying.

"Where'd you go, Andrew?" Griff asked him as he noticed Andrew's return to the group. From Andrew's right, Chris chuckled,

"You saw Rowan when you went to get a book, didn't you?"

Andrew's face flushed at the mention of her name, but tried to play it cool, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't play coy." Chase Thomas spoke up, "You didn't bring a book back."

Andrew groaned and slapped his forehead he knew he had been forgetting something but he had been thinking about Friday's plans with Rowan...

"He was!" Someone hollered an then all the rest of them joined in on teasing him. Andrew sighed knowing that they were just doing what they always did when one of them would go talk to a girl. He would've left but Rowan was worth the rude remarks and jesting comments. So he leaned back in his chair and took it like a man, wishing for Friday.

*****

The next few days were a blurry for Rowan, she had been so busy with papers and the show that she hadn't had time for her morning run, which was a killjoy for her mood. It didn't help that Quinn would stay up all night texting or even sometimes on the phone talking with Dallas! It was driving her insane. She had begun to entertain the thought that this was pay back for not telling Quinn about Andrew sooner.
   
******

Rowan rolled out of bed Friday afternoon about three in the afternoon due to another one of Quinn's all nighters with Dallas. She grabbed her phone and saw that she had two text messages: one from Quinn and the other was from Andrew. Naturally, she opened Quinn's first:

'Hey, Ro, I was jw if u could stay somewhere else tonight? I want to spend some alone time with Dallas.'

Rowan texted back a short reply of agreement and hoped that Andrew would let her spend the night at his house, otherwise she would be without a roof over her head tonight. Most her friends were either going home or going out on the town and wouldn't be home until late. 

She, then, opened Andrew's text: 'When can I pick up, Boston?'

Rowan grinned at his nickname for her. No one had ever thought to call her that before. It was something personal to her and super cute of him to do.

She replied, 'Can you be here in 15, Sparky? I just woke up. I will explain.'

Putting down her phone, knowing he would say yes, she hopped into the shower. Then she threw on some simple make up and pulled her hair back into a messy bun. She put on a Maroon V shirt, short shorts, and her Stanford flip flops. After that she put together an over night bag, complete with running shoes and her DVD case.

No later had she placed her bag on her bed there was a knock on her door. Rowan wondered who it could be because no one knocked in her corridor. She opened the door revile Andrew, dress in a grey Nike shirt and black basketball shorts.

"I would ask how you got in but i already know." Rowan laughed, picking up her bag and setting it on her shoulder.

"That's a lot of stuff." He pointed out, offering to take the bag for her. She gave him a pointed look, but pouted and crossed her arms over her chest,

"No shit, Sherlock. I am getting kicked out until noon tomorrow."

Andrew was surprised that her friends had actually kicked her out of her own dorm. Personally, he thought that was kind of low for them. Judging from what Rowan said about them, they were both really good friends.

"Really? That sucks... Do you want to stay at my place?" He offered, readily.

"Do you mind?" Rowan inquired, running her hand forearm up and down her forearm, "I don't want to impose."

"Ro, I just offered. You're not imposing." He then looked at her then the clock, "You wanna get out of here?"

She nodded, grabbing her lanyard and taking the hand Andrew had offered her. He laced their fingers together as they entered the hall way. Rowan didn't bother to close the door because it was an open door policy corridor.

*****

The campus was buzzing with life because of the great California weather, yet again. Rowan almost got run over by a couple soccer players as Andrew lead them towards the southern part of campus. She wondered if he lived on Fraternity Row, but he turned down a street just before it. They walked four houses down before Andrew began to lead her up the side walk to what looked like would be a Fraternity house. She giggled, quietly to herself when she saw that the street address had the number 12 in it. He pulled out his own keys and unlocked the door, allowing Rowan to walk in first. 

"My room's upstairs." He pointed out, the staircase and lead her up to his room which was at the end of the hall. The door was open so Rowan walked in without invitation. At first glance, it was pretty plain other than a few posters here and there, and some pictures of his family on his night stand. On his desk were piles of what she thought were text books.

She sat her bag on his bed and dug out her DVD case, before turning toward the door way since she noticed that he hadn't walked in,

"Do you wanna watch a movie now?" She asked when she saw him leaning against the door frame. Andrew nodded, pushing himself off the door frame and asked, 

"Sure, what's it called?"

 Rowan just smiled, not say anything as she walked back down stairs and into the messy living room. At least, it had a huge couch and a big flat screen TV. She found the DVD player on top of the TV stand and put her movie in.

 Andrew had already made himself comfortable on the couch when Rowan turned around, so she decided to sit down next him and snuggle into his warm, solid side. This time, he didn't hesitate to wrap his arm around her waist and pull her closer. With no where else for her arm to go she wrapped her's around his torso and leaned her cheek against his chest.

Once they were situated, Andrew turned on the TV and the movie was already on the main menu. Rowan couldn't help but grin when she saw it come on and leaded up to see Andrew's reaction. It was one of surprise, but it slowly faded away as he looked down at her,

"'Miracle on Ice'? You had me worried for a second when you wouldn't tell me what we were going to watch, Boston." He admitted as he pressed play, "I've heard this is a pretty good movie."

Rowan nodded in agreement, "Only the best sports movie ever, well, besides 'Secretariat.'"

"Oh, I beg to differ." Andrew challenged. Rowan rolled her eyes,

"No, I am not watching 'Remember the Titans.' I had this same argument with Pineapple and it did nothing to convince that that movie is better than this."

"Ok, ok, I believe you." Andrew submitted to her halfhearted glare before whispering in her ear, "Just so you know the guys will be in and out all afternoon. They probably won't be around too much tonight..."

"That's fine." Rowan informed with a smile now and nuzzled her head underneath his jaw bone, "I can handle your big, bad football friends."

As the movie went on, Andrew realized how good it really was. He never really paid any attention to hockey before, but this was an inspiring story about a group of guys his and Rowan's age who did the impossible. The coach, Herb Brooks brought the group misfits together through his 'skate til you puke' exercise after loosing against Sweden on the road to the 1980 Winter Olympics. It wasn't all seriousness, as the Christmas scene depicted shown that they were as close knit as close knit could as they all gave each other gag gifts. After gift exchange, being Americans, they went out to play football in the snow.

The Soviet Union was the talk of the Olympics Games and was set to win another gold medal but the United States boys denied them that chance. They proved that miracles can happen and a cold war can be played on the ice. The Americans would go on to win the gold medal against Finland and the movie ended with them all standing on the highest platform of the podium celebrating their success.

Rowan made them watch the credits so that she could listen to 'Dream On' by Aerosmith, but after that was over she looked up at Andrew with a smug smile on her face.

"You liked it?" She ask, hopefully, her eyes shinning.

"I like it a lot." Andrew admitted, which made her hug him tighter to her, "But I still think 'Remember the Titans' is better."

Rowan glared at him and tried to push herself away but Andrew wasn't compromising his grasp on her. He enjoyed having her close.

"Hey, I was just kidding. I think they are both good movies." He informed her, "What other movies do you have?"

Rowan smiled at him and picked up her case. They flipped through the pages, trying to decide on a movie.

"Bridesmaids?" Rowan asked, "It's a really funny movie. I promise, that is Quinn's and my girls night in movie."

"But it's still a girl movie." Andrew wined, "What about Paranormal Activity?"

Rowan made a face that just screamed, 'No fucking way!' and then said, "We are watching Gladiator."

"Wow." Andrew laughed, "I have never met a girl who would chose Gladiator before some of those girly movies."

Rowan shook her head at him in disappointment, but she figured he would say something like that,

 "I may not like scary movies but I love action movies." 

She handed the disc to Andrew, who got up, took out 'Miracle on Ice', and he put in 'Gladiator'. After he completed the task, Andrew flopped down on the couch beside Rowan once again, pressing play on the remote.

Just as they had gotten comfortable again wen another body flopped down on the couch next to Rowan. It was no one other than Chris Owusu. He smiled, widely at them while they gave him startled looks.

"So you must be 'Rowan'?" He asked, giving her a once over before offering her is hand. Rowan took his hand and gave it a firm shake,

"And you must be Chris Owusu. But yes, that would be me... I hear you enjoyed the Webcast."

Chris nodded and smiled, "Yeah, it was pretty entertaining, especially when you threw the angry bird at Dallas went he dissed Purdue."

"Thanks, we didn't want to have a boring talk show so we pulled some things together. I hope it worked."

"It definitely worked! Plus you got us advertising it for you!" Chris assured her with an awkward pat on the shoulder, "So Gladiator?"

Rowan nodded and grimaced, "Yeah, it was that or Paranormal Activity." 

Chris laughed at her face and reclined on the couch, "I don't blame ya. That stuff freaks me out, too."

"Dude! Gladiator's on!"

 Someone shouted from behind them and suddenly 3 more bodies piled onto the couch. Michael Thomas, Coby Fleener, and Chase Thomas were those bodies.

Rowan rolled her eyes and shook her head at them as they began to fight over the same stop next to Chris. They didn't notice that she was there until they were situated.

"There's a girl sitting on the couch." Chase stated with wide eyes when he saw Rowan, who giggles at his reaction.

"Yep." Rowan agreed, popping the 'p,' nodding as she continued, "I am a girl."

"Not just any girl." Coby pointed out because he was much more observant than the inside Line Backer, "She's Andrew's friend!"

There was a collective gasp among the other two. They looked at Rowan and then looked back to each other and then to Andrew, who was blushing due to the attention.

"You're the Rowan from that show!" Michael said first.

"Yes, yes, I am." Rowan laughed.

"You ARE a mad genius! The beginning when you played 'Rowan vs The Campus' was my favorite! Can I call in or be a part of the Campus?" Chase begged, getting up to kneel in front of her. Chris threw his Gatorade bottle at him and told him to get out of the way of the TV.

"Yeah, that would be awesome! I will get that contact information to you asap because I have no idea what it is." Rowan paused as she remembered and looked around at the guys, 

"We will also be looking to do some guest appearances."

Chase was all for that notion as was Micheal and Chris, who all agreed, 

"That would be pretty awesome. When would you be doing it?"

Rowan shrugged, "As soon as next week. All I have to do is rewrite the script a little and get it approved. You guys would just need to let me know when you have some free time and we will film then."

The 3 of them looked at each other but Coby was the one to speak up, "You can choose when you have the studio?"

"Yeah." Rowan smiled, "I am the Senior News Manager for the Stanford Dailey. It's kinda my gig."

"Sweetness!" Chase exclaimed, "Leave it to Andrew to snag possibly the coolest girl on campus!"

 There was a resounding smack which cause everyone to looked to Chase and it was none other than Griff smiling while holding an inflatable bat behind his back. He gave us a questioning look and asked,

"What? I didn't do anything."

Everyone but Chase (who was fuming as he held the back of his head) rolled their eyes at him as if to say sure he didn't. Chase the jumped over the back of the couch in an attempt to tackle the Wide Receiver. 

Sounds of a quick tussle came from the direction of what Rowan guessed was the kitchen before Griff emerged to take Chase's seat in between Michael and Coby. Chase walked back into the living room with a sour look on his face, muttering unintelligible insults before he laid down on the carpet in from of the couch. This time to be kicked in the back by Coby. Chase only flipped the Tight End off, knowing that the bigger man would easily kick his ass,

"Can we please watch the damn movie now?"

Andrew rolled his eyes at him, pressing play on the remote to resume the movie which happened to be where Commodus had ordered Maximus to be killed. Rowan tucked herself back into his side and he rewrapped his arm around her. This was something he wanted to make last...

The room fell silent as the movie played, but that didn't last long because Chase got up,

"Pause it! I gotta take a piss!" Then he jogged out of the room.

"Should I pause it?" Andrew asked his friends with a mischievous smile. There were a few no's, but only Coby made a good cause as to why he should,

"Just do it because he'll have a hissy fit over it of you don't. And I'd like to finish this movie without anymore interruptions."

On cue Rowan's iPhone began buzzing, blushing she pulled it out of her pocket it was a  call from her sister.

"I gotta take this." She informed them, getting up and dismissing herself from the room.

 "Hey, Marie, what's up?"

"The sky." Marie, Rowan's older joked, "Anyway, do you mind if I come visit tomorrow or Sunday? I can take you and Quinn to the spa for a girls day."

Rowan was extremely tempted by the offer because she rarely got to see Marie and even more rare than that was an offer to go to a spa.  Plus, Marie worked for some big name home decorator in L.A. so she could give them some of the latest fashion tips.

"How about Sunday? We will meet you by the visitors center. K?" Rowan agreed.

"Sounds great!" Marie smiled, "Well, I gotta go. Have to finished getting stuff for the boss's newest project. I will get us penciled in."

"Great!" Rowan smiled, "À bientôt!"

"Addio!" Marie replied in Italian and then hung up.

Rowan smiled and put her phone back in her pocket. Her weekend was suddenly looking up, not that it hadn't with Andrew offering for her to spend the night at his house. But Rowan had been missing her sister and was in need of some serious girl time.

She walked back into the living and all eyes were on her, even Chase had returned and this time with a pillow.

"My sister. She wanted to take my roomy and I to the spa for a girls day." I explained, nervously, blushing and went to sit down next to Andrew.

"Start the movie, please!" Groaned Coby, "I'd like to finish it sometime this century!"

An eruption of laughter followed as the movie began to play again, but them quieted down rather, quickly as their eyes intently watched the screen. 

Who knew guys could get so into a simple movie?

To be continued....
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Sorry, that the last chapter was kinda lame. I hope this one makes up for it. Part 2 will be out as soon as possible. Working on putting together some visuals for Rowans's outfits.

Shoutout to westcoastwinter for all the great comments!

Subscribe and comment, please!