Status: in progress

Love Me Always

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Lighten up, Kat. At least pretend to be enjoying yourself," Phil Sylvester murmured, nudging me with his elbow.

"Seriously, Dad? Kat enjoying herself? I suppose you're expecting aliens to land on our planet and kill all of mankind, as well," Brett said without taking his eyes off his Nintendo DS.

"Shut up, asswipe," I hissed in my little brother's ear. It was bad enough I was at an elegant birthday party for a cousin I'd met only twice in my life; there was no need for Brett and his annoying comments to make my night even worse.

"Be nice," our mother warned from across the table. Christine Sylvester, the peace maker of the family, stopping one fight at a time.

"I hate you all," I muttered. I got up from the table and walked to the other side of the room in search of the buffet table. Once I found my place behind a heavy-set man waiting for his turn to make a plate of food, I glanced at the dance floor. A bunch of teenagers were grinding on each other, while the adult guests watched with grimace expressions.

As the food line moved forward and I smeared some mashed potatoes on my plate, I heard a huge round of applause coming from the dance floor. I looked back and saw a huge circle of people form. I left my plate on the buffet table and joined the circle, wondering what was going on. I peered over someone's shoulder and saw a boy, around my age, break dancing in the middle. Everyone was cheering and clapping along with the beat. The boy was panting but showed no sign of stopping.

I rolled her eyes at the sight of him. I knew his type: obnoxious, conceited, annoying. I had seen guys like him many times before.

All of a sudden, the music stopped, which happened to be the same time I said, "Jackass." Everyone gasped and turned to me. I felt my face turn red in embarrassment. The break-dancing boy stood up and sauntered over to me. Up close, I noticed he had soft, green eyes, a dimple on each cheek, and a face that was dripping with sweat. His shaggy, dirty blonde hair was matted to his forehead. He had a devilish grin plastered across his face.

"You think you can do better?" he asked in a playful tone.

"No, I know I can do better," I answered. Who the hell did this guy think he was?

"Prove it," he challenged, still grinning. He stepped back and motioned me to the middle of the floor. I took a deep breath and slipped off my heels. I made my way to the middle and looked up at the DJ.

"You have any Ciara songs?" I called out.

"Anything for you, baby girl," the DJ said into the microphone.

"1, 2 Step" by Ciara blared through the speakers immediately. I let loose and danced the steps I learned from my instructor. Though my moves were limited because of the tightness of my dress, I still managed to surprise everyone watching me. I rolled my hips and licked my lips and soon, all of the guys in the room were in awe of me. The song ended in less than a minute, which was enough time for me. Afterwards, as I leaned over and took a deep breath, I felt people's pats on my back. I smiled in gratitude and slipped my feet back into my heels. I tied my long, wavy dark brown hair into a ponytail and then became face-to-face with the break-dancing boy.

"I see I've clearly underestimated you," he smirked.

"Clearly," I said, moving past him. I started to make my way over to my family on the other side of the room, but was stopped by a strong hand on my shoulder. I turned around and realized it was the boy again. "Can I help you?"

"I think you forgot to ask me my name," he said.

"No, I didn't forget. I just don't care," I replied in an annoyed tone.

"Well, can I ask you what yours is?"

"Sure, but don't expect an answer. Now if you'll excuse me, I'd like to get back to eating my food. I was sort-of interrupted by some obnoxious punk," I spat, turning away from him.

"Hey, who you callin' a punk?" he asked. I walked away, ignoring him. "My name's Leo by the way!"

I just shook my head and kept moving, trying to block his image out of my mind. But for some reason, I just couldn't. Little did I know why.