I'll Never Be the Same

Everybody Wants Somebody Who Doesn't Want Them

Darren’s P.O.V.

It was the start of a new school year: my senior year of high school. I was almost finished. Fortunately for me, high school had been easy. Though it helped that all of the teachers seemed to love me and went out of their way to make sure I did well.

The girls loved me as well. Not to sound too cocky, but it was always easy for me to get a girlfriend. I’d usually get bored pretty quickly and move on to the next one. I got what I wanted out of the relationship and then I was done. I could have any girl I wanted, and I did—except for one. Hailey.

Her dark hair surrounded her face perfectly and fell in light waves down her back, a little ways past her shoulders. Whenever I saw her, I couldn’t help but appreciate every feature of her; she was perfect. From her green eyes to her long legs, she was all I wanted. But she wouldn’t let me have her. Trust me, I’ve tried a million and one times, but she always turned me down. I was determined though. I was going to make her mine this year.

Hailey’s P.O.V

I was glad to be back at school. A summer filled with work was not ideal and it kept me busy and with limited time to spend with friends. I was ready to have fun though; it was finally my senior year of high school and I planned on making it memorable.

My best friend for as long as I could remember, Becca, was already waiting for me at my new locker. I had to thank alphabetical order for my friendship with Becca. Seating assignments in elementary school followed later by locker assignments had kept us close. We were different in so many ways, but it just seemed to work for us. Becca with her blonde hair, blue eyes, and her feigned innocence.

I wasn’t surprised when she leaned in after our initial greeting and whispered, “I hooked up with Darren Criss last weekend.”

I rolled my eyes before she could see my face.

“Are you serious?” I asked in disbelief. And this wasn’t the kind of disbelief like, Why couldn’t it have been me? It was the kind of disbelief that said, Why would you fall for that shit and sink that low?

It seemed like I was the only one who saw through his charm and knew that his only plans for the girls he endlessly flirted with was to use them, then lose them. I had thought, had hoped, that Becca would never be one of those girls because I knew, eventually, it would be me cleaning up that mess.

“Hailey, you don’t even know!” Becca said. “It was the most amazing experience of my life. Darren Criss is a god and I think I’m in love.”

“Please, oh please, do not say things like that to me,” I said, turning to my locker and trying to get it open so that I could get myself organized.

“I mean, it’s not love love, but it’s a very strong like,” she continued as if I hadn’t said a word. She knew how I felt about Darren. She had heard my ranting whenever he was brought into a conversation. “We’re actually getting together after school today.”

I sighed, knowing that there was no getting through to her. The bell rang and I was glad to have an excuse to get away from her Darren filled conversation.

“Please promise me you won’t get hurt,” I said as we started down the hallway. I knew we didn't have the same first class and we would be parting shortly.

“You have nothing to worry about,” Becca said, smiling at me; all confidence. “Darren and I have a great connection.”

I just nodded my head, knowing that this just wasn’t going to end well. All the girls Darren had dated felt like they had a great connection, and look at what happened to them: Heartbroken and hopelessly infatuated with someone who didn't even care about them.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is a short beginning, but a beginning none the less! Leave some comments to let me know if you like it, and if so, I will try and update as quickly as possible!

Also, the majority of this story will be in Hailey's P.O.V. unless I feel the need to add in Darren's.

Thanks for reading!

~Sally

[Chapter Title Credit: Everybody Wants Somebody - Patrick Stump]