I'll Never Be the Same

But You Think That I Can't See What Kind Of Man That You Are

“Why don’t you like Darren?”

“You’re really asking me this?” I replied to Becca’s question. We were lying in her bed after getting back from the party, not exactly ready to go to sleep. “I’d think you’d know the answer to that after years of friendship.”

“I mean…is Darren attractive to you?” she asked this time. “That would probably be a better question, I guess.”

I really couldn’t believe she was asking me these questions.

“Well, he’s not ugly,” I said, thinking about it. “But I’m not shallow enough to just like someone because of their looks. He’s a horrible person so looks really don’t help his situation when it comes to me.”

Becca was silent and I thought maybe she had fallen asleep.

“He’s actually really nice,” she said quietly.

“I know you probably don’t want to hear this,” I started. “But that’s just so that it’s easier to get in girls’ pants.”

She was silent again. I was a bit worried that she’d get mad at me.

“Are you mad at me for falling for it all?” she asked, surprising me.

“No,” I said, answering honestly. I was disappointed with her, but I wouldn’t ever be mad at her for the whole Darren situation. “I just wish you wouldn’t have gotten hurt because of it.”

“I know it’s only been under a week since he ended it,” she said, “but I just got angry about the whole situation. I was only sad for a few days… I don’t think I’d change anything.”

I didn’t say anything, mostly because I didn’t have anything more to say.

“The sex was great though,” she said after a moment, letting out a giggle. I snorted.

“Let’s just go to sleep.”

---

It was Monday way too soon. The weekend seemed to have flown by.

The first thing I saw when I arrived at school was the girl from the party who Darren had been flirting with. Judging by her puffy, red eyes I had a feeling that her fling with him was done. When were these girls ever going to learn?

When I reached my locker, I was unhappy to see the asshole himself leaning against it.

“Please, for the love of God, get away from my locker,” I said before he could say anything. He just smiled and moved over. I sighed and turned the combination lock attached to the locker door, then pulled it open.

“Good morning to you too,” he said. I ignored him and got the books I needed for my class. “Ignoring me isn’t going to work.”

I closed my locker and looked at him.

“What do you want?”

“Well,” Darren started. “I thought I’d just let you know that I’m initiating Operation Make Hailey Mine today.”

“Wow,” I said. “That’s really corny, I hope you know.”

“I know,” he replied. “But a challenge of this level of difficulty deserved a name.”

“And that’s the best you could come up with?” I asked. Darren nodded his head, smiling at me. The bell rang.

“See you later, Hailey,” he said before walking away down the hallway. I headed in the opposite direction to my first class.

Why couldn’t Monday’s ever be enjoyable?
♠ ♠ ♠
[Chapter Title Credit: Decode - Paramore]