Status: These are short chapters, I know.

My Desperate Last Days

It Was a Friday Night

Just weeks into University, and I was already in love with it. I loved the way my schedule worked, I loved my professors, I love my dorm room. My roommate was a sweetheart, and although we did not run in the same circles, we still got along really well. By a month I had already gotten grades back, and I was maintaining a healthy B+ / A- average. I was confident in my future.

There was a party in another residence hall on campus on this Friday night. I originally said that I did not want to go, but my friends convinced me. I teased my red hair, put on a pair of black skinny jeans, a loose black shirt, a pair of heels, silver earrings, and gave myself cat-eye makeup. Being newly single, I wanted to meet someone at this party.

I should back up and say that once I am done writing this short autobiography of my last days as a human, I will kill myself. There is not a thing on this earth that will hold me to it anymore. I have suffered such pains that my heart cannot bear another day. I have always wanted to write an autobiography, but I had hoped it would be after having a life first. I am only eighteen years old, I've only been in love once, I have never even had a job! My entire life is dull compared to the past few weeks.

My name is Melody Cross. It is November now - this all started in late October. My dreams in life have been to publish novels, to become a wife, and to travel the world. I am a God fearing woman, and I know that my soul is at risk, and it frightens me. This is my journal - I am writing by means of train of thought. I am not stopping to edit or correct anything. I need to write my story and be done with it. If my master discovers this before I am able to kill myself then I know he will bestow great tortures upon me, destroying what is left of my freewill...

So my friends - Jolene, Cheryl, and Maggie - and I arrive at the party about an hour after it started. It was held in a lounge on the fifth floor. The couches and tables were pushed to the border of the room and an iPod was hooked up to speakers, playing today's top hits. There were no lights on, except for the ones in the halls outside of the room, so we were dancing nearly blindly. I hate dancing when I am sober. I find it disgusting, and a waste of energy. I tried, I really did, to enjoy myself with my friends. Alas, a half hour there, and I found myself sitting on a couch, wishing I had a drink.

This, my lovely readers, is when I meet my future master. From where I sat, despite the darkness of the room, he stood out to me. I could make out his appearance almost perfectly. He is tall, with wild black hair; he is not completely clean shaven. His eyes are dark, almost black, which highlighted against his extremely pale skin. He caught my stare, but did not acknowledge me.

He was talking with a guy I knew from a few of my classes - Felix. I took a deep breath, collected all the courage I could muster, and I approached Felix as any friend might:

"Felix, hey!"

"Oh, Melody, hey there," Felix greeted me warmly, "Do you live here?"

"No, I'm just here for the party," I laughed, "I live in a different hall."

I shifted my gaze between Felix and the mysterious man who he spoke with. Felix did not seem to want to introduce me, so I did it myself. I held out my hand to shake his and smiled.

"Hello, I'm Melody."

When he shook my hand, a shock of cold went through the flesh of my hand and spread throughout my body. Goosebumps formed on my arms, and the hair on the back of my neck twitched. There was an animal instinct that told me to run, screaming inside my head, but I ignored it.

"Damien. Pleasure."

His voice was a song. It was dark and quiet, but my ears caught every syllable. When he let my hand go, I could feel my heart beating everywhere in my body. My pulse pounded from my wrists, my chest, my ears, my temples, even the pit of my stomach.

"Enjoying the party?" Felix asked me.

I laughed, "Not really. This isn't my type of scene. I prefer smaller parties, without any of the dancing,"

"That," Felix said, lifting the bottle of lime green absinthe into the air, "is because you are not wasted!"

I spent the rest of the party with Felix and Damien. I drank a lot, but I didn't get a heavy drunk going. Being near Damien was devilishly sobering. He gave off this essence that seemed to blow any intoxication away with his every breath. I was smitten. He warmed up to me as the night wore on. I learned that he was at school for business "because I'm bored" he told me. When he learned I was going to school for English his interest was clearly peaked. He asked me what type of stuff I wrote, and I told him the truth. I have always written vampire stories, and poems of death. He found that very amusing. I remember his hand tracing my neck, caressing my cheeks. I can never forget his eyes as they penetrated mine, as if he could read my thoughts as a book through my pupils. His voice tickled my ears as he whispered:

"But first, on earth as Vampyre sent, thy corpse shall from its tomb be rent. Then ghastly haunt thy native place, and suck the blood of all thy race."

"Lord Byron," I whispered back, a blush forming in my face.

"Very good," Damien smiled, "Melody, I should like to see you again,"

"Okay."

"Tomorrow night. Eight o'clock," he stood from the couch where we sat, and looked down at me, "In front of your residence. I will see you then."

And he walked away. He and Felix left without another word. I sat, stunned, until my friends came rushing over demanding to know everything that had just happened. I stared at the door, wishing he would come back. I was suddenly very away of how drunk I was.