Ashes to Ashes

Chapter Six

"DARRAGH! YOU FUCKING IDIOT!" Darragh jumped out of his skin as he opened the front door on the day after Boxing Day.

"Not in front of my kids!" he hissed at Diarmuid as Miceál put his little head around the living room door curiously.

"What does that mean, Daddy?" he asked innocently.

"Nothing, Miceál, go play," Darragh said quickly, as Grainne came into the hall and flashed Diarmuid a filthy glare.

"What the Hell is up with her?" Diarmuid asked shortly as Darragh stepped ouside and pulled the front door closed.

"She doesn't like you using bad language in front of the children. She tells you time and time again, Diarmuid, and do you listen to her?"

"That's not the point anyway."

"It's the point now, and if you say such words in front of my wee ones again I'll thump so you hard you'll be spitting teeth for a week."

"I'm sure that will set a great example to them." Darragh raised his eyebrows.

"Of course, I won't do such things in front of them."

"Anyway, shut the fuck up." Darragh groaned.

"In one ear and out of the other," was what Diarmuid caught from his muttering.

"You made a seriously serious mistake, Darragh."

"What did I do now? Did I not round up all of the little children and shoot them as well?"

"You dived through a window, am I right?"

"Still not get your head round that?"

"You left blood everywhere." That caught Darragh's attention, and his heart skipped a beat.

"What?" he asked bluntly.

"They've got DNA on you now. Have you been involved in anything else? Will there be a DNA match?"

"There might be," Darragh muttered, running his hands through his hair, his heart thumping furiously.

"What like?"

"I was arrested once, and I'd been shot. In the arm. They had blood then." Diarmuid swore.

"You've got to go." he said eventually and bluntly.

"What?" Darragh spluttered.

"You have to get out of the country, Darragh. It'll take them a few days but they'll get the match and then you'll be arrested."

"I'm not going anywhere!"

"You bloody are! Today!"

"No." Darragh put his foot down. "I'm not going anywhere. They'll not catch me if I don't want them to."

"Don't be stupid, Darragh."

"I'm not being stupid. I'm not leaving my home city and I'm not displacing my family. It's not happened. Fine, I'll stay in Dundalk for a while, but it's not going to be permanent."

"It might have to be."

"I'll not let it! I'm not doing that to my family!"

"Suit yourself. But if you're arrested don't blame me."