Status: complete(: sequel has been posted.

Weightless

025

Chloe woke up when Zack’s car came to a halt. She blinked slowly, trying to figure out where she was. She knew it was a car, and for a moment she thought it was Marcus’ and she had passed out from the pain again. Her heartbeat picked up and she shot into a sitting position. Marcus hated it when she passed out. It was just a sign of her weakness. Her eyes darted around. When they finally landed on Zack’s body in the front seat she nearly collapsed with relief. Zack caught her eye in the rearview mirror and gave her a tight smile. Chloe returned it meekly.

“I’m sorry, Bo. I’m so, so sorry.” His voice cracked and he buried his head in his hands.

Chloe felt her heart wrench. She had never meant to cause Zack pain. That wasn’t something she had ever signed up for. The only one who deserved this pain was Chloe and it killed her to see Zack suffer. She moved forward, resting her small, cold hand on his broad shoulder.

“It’s okay, Mop. It’s okay.” She murmured, rubbing his back. He nodded. “Let’s go inside, okay?” He nodded again.

Chloe clambered out of the car. She opened Zack’s door for him and laced her fingers through his. They entered the house together and sat down on the couch. Chloe curled into her cousin, breathing in his comforting scent. They sat in silence until they heard another car pull up outside. Zack glanced up as the door opened. Chloe followed his lead and saw her aunt standing there. She smiled.

“Hi, Aunt Carla.”

“Oh, Chloe.” She rushed forward and pulled the small girl into a hug before pulling back and looking her over anxiously. “Are you okay? Did he touch you?”

Chloe nervously fiddled with the scarf on her neck. Her aunt studied her intently, waiting for an answer.

“No, I’m fine. Alex and Rian and Jack stopped him and then Zack showed up and he left. I'm fine, I swear.”

“Oh thank God. I can’t believe this is happening again.”

Chloe stayed quiet. She didn’t know what to say because she knew it would eventually happen again. After all, she needed Marcus in her life and he loved her enough to take her back even after she had left. She didn’t even know why he put up with her. Marcus was perfect and Chloe was the exact opposite. But he loved her, she knew he did. He was just looking out for her. So Chloe just allowed her aunt to give her a mug of hot chocolate and tuck her in on the couch next to Zack. She curled herself into him and Carla left the cousins alone. Chloe needed Zack right now.

A text sent vibrations through Chloe’s hip bone. She pulled her phone out of the jacket pocket and checked it discreetly. It was her mother. She said she had talked to Carla and Chloe had better be home by 3:00. Chloe gulped and placed the phone back in her pocket. She had a little over three hours left. Carla eventually slipped back into the room and wordlessly placed a plate of food before the two of them. She knew Chloe probably wouldn’t eat it, but she prayed Zack could get at least something into her stomach. Chloe looked up at her aunt.

“Mother said she talked to you. I have to be home at 3:00.” She whispered.

“I’m sorry, Chloe. I just want you to be safe.”

“It’s okay. I will be. I promise.” She gave a small smile and Carla rushed forward to father the girl into her arms.

“I love you so, so much, little girl. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

“I love you too.” Chloe choked out, feeling tears gather in her eyes.

Carla inhaled deeply, taking in her niece’s sweet smell. She remembered the day Chloe had been born. It was the happiest moment in Eme and Carla’s life. Jon had wanted a boy, but both Eme and Carla fell in love with the baby girl at first sight. Carla had no idea what had happened to her sister to change her feelings for her daughter, but it broke Carla’s heart. She could never imagine feeling anything less than absolute love for the girl in her arms. Zack was her life, but it hadn’t been complete until Chloe had arrived as well. She didn’t love Chloe more than she loved Zack, but she didn’t love her any less either. Carla sighed and released Chloe with a kiss on her delicate forehead. She kissed Zack’s head as well and got off of the couch.

“I have to get back the office. Please, call me as soon as you get home.” Chloe nodded. The cousins watched her head towards the door. She turned and addressed them one last time. “I love you both.”

“Love you too, Mom.” Zack smiled.

“I’ll call you, Aunt Carla. I love you.” Chloe responded, smiling as well.

She left the two teenagers on the couch and climbed into her car. Her heart was heavy in her chest as she pulled out of the driveway. But there was nothing else she could do. Carla and her husband had tried everything. They had gotten a restraining order, which had now been canceled. They had sent her to rehab, which her parents had promptly removed her from. They had even tried to get her to move in, but Eme had flat out refused. All they could do now was wait the few months until Chloe turned 18 and desperately hope nothing happened in the mean time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I promise you the next one will be long and drama filled. On a completely separate note, I ditched school today because I only slept like three hours last night. And now I'm watching Maury. It's kind of my guilty pleasure.

Image
I regret nothing.

Thanks to all of my beautiful commenters!:
new_yorkxo and Helpless

I love you all. So much.(: