Status: complete(: sequel has been posted.

Weightless

033

Chloe allowed Carla to take care of her for the rest of the day. She ate the food that was given to her and iced her knee on and off for 20 minutes at a time. She swallowed the medication every four hours, and the pain had definitely faded. But, the peace couldn’t last and her mother was screeching at her aunt through the phone line by 6:00 that evening.

“Eme, I really don’t care.” Carla seethed. Zack and Chloe kept quiet, both desperately interested in the conversation. “You let him back into her life and now she’s hurt again…NO SHE DID NOT FALL DOWN THE STAIRS! WHY ARE YOU SO BLIND?...THIS IS YOUR DAUGHTER EME! YOUR FUCKING DAUGHTER! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! WHEN DID SHE STOP BEING YOUR TOP PRIORITY?!”

Zack gazed at Chloe with wide eyes, his shock mirrored by her. It took a lot to set Carla off like this. She was normally so calm and collected. They had heard her swear maybe three times in their entire lives. Chloe knew things had reached a boiling point with her aunt and her mother and she wasn’t quite sure she wanted to be around for the explosion.

“No, I will not give her back to you. Not now…SO CALL THE FUCKING COPS. I’D LOVE FOR THEM TO SEE HER LOOKING LIKE THIS. WHO DO YOU THINK THEY’LL BE ARRESTING THEN, HUH?...I cannot even believe you. You’re picking a boy, who is not your son, over your daughter, who he has been abusing. You are not my sister anymore and I will do everything in my power to make sure Chloe never has to set foot in your fucked up household ever again.”

Carla slammed the phone back into its cradle. Zack and Chloe quickly busied themselves with the television, waiting for Carla to come talk to them. She took a few moments, gathering her thoughts and calming herself down. Then she swept into the living room with a smile plastered on her face.

“Well, Chloe, I’ll just go ahead and set up your room okay?”

They all knew the teenagers had overheard the conversation, but Carla would rather avoid discussing it with them. Chloe nodded and her aunt disappeared into the guest room that contained piles of Chloe’s clothing. She reemerged a short while later.

“I’m thinking Chinese for dinner tonight, how does that sound? Zack, I don’t remember if we told you or not, but your father left for a few days on business. He should be back in time for your gig.”

Zack nodded. Chloe let out a relieved breath. Her aunt was bad. Zack was worse. But her uncle was a completely different story. Mark was fiercely protective of Chloe, even more so than his son. Carla smiled at the pair before grabbing the car keys and exiting the house. Zack’s phone vibrated against Chloe’s side and he frowned as he read it.

“Alex is coming over.”

Chloe shot up. Zack kept his arms around her waist as she tried to run away.

“I don’t want to see him, Mop.”

“I know something happened, Chloe.” Zack watched his cousin’s cheek flush pink.

“Last night was a mistake. I shouldn’t have even gone over there.”

“Just tell me.”

“I’m tired. I want to go to bed.”

Chloe shoved Zack’s arms away from her. He let her go with a sigh, watching her disappear down the hallway. Her door clicked shut quietly and just a few minutes later there was a knocking coming from the entryway. Zack pulled himself off of the couch and let Alex in. He looked mad, but also like he had been crying.

“I don’t understand it, Zack.” Alex collapsed onto the couch. Zack didn’t even have to ask to know what he was talking about.

“It’s complicated.”

“What’s so damn complicated, huh? He fucking hits her and she lets him. And I know she cuts too, I saw the scars. And she so fucking skinny, she probably doesn’t eat does she?”

“You have no idea what you’re talking about.” Zack said sharply. His protective side had kicked into overdrive. “Chloe’s dealt with a lot of shit in her life, Alex. She doesn’t need you coming in here and making everything worse.”

“I just want to help her.” He whispered desperately. Zack sighed and sat down next to his friend.

“That’s what we all want. We’ve tried so many times with her, Lex. The first time we sent her to rehab, her parents had her released the next day. The second time she ran away. The third time she just shut down. She wouldn’t talk to me, wouldn’t talk to Mom. She just holed herself up in her room and came out a week later, bleeding from her wrists. Things seemed to get better after that. I mean, Marcus was out of the picture and her parents were actually trying to help. But when she didn’t get better fast enough for them, they gave up on her. This past year she’s been doing better, but Marcus came back and ruined her all over again. She’s been fucked over so many times, Alex, but you make her happy. I know you do. She wouldn’t have gone to you last night if she didn’t trust you. Don’t hurt her. And don’t let her push you away, okay?”

Alex stared at Zack. He couldn’t believe what he had just heard. He knew Chloe was fragile, but he didn’t ever realize the extent of it. Zack rested a hand on his shoulder.

“Give her time. If there is one thing I’ve learned, it’s that you can’t force her into doing anything. The more you push, the faster she runs away and she’ll disappear if you go too far. This is all we can do for now. No matter what, it has to be Chloe’s decision. Show her you’re there for her and she’ll let you in. I think you could be really good for her.”

“Thanks, Zack.” Alex smiled and stood up.

Zack smiled back and walked with Alex to the front door. Alex slipped out and Zack went back into the living room. He wasn’t sure if he should have told Alex as much as he did, but Chloe was the one who had opened that door by going to his house last night. Zack knew she wanted Alex in her life, even if she wouldn’t admit it. It was going to take a lot of work on Alex’s part, but he could win Chloe over, Zack was sure of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, hi, this was supposed to be posted like two hours ago. I got distracted by Straight to DVD cause I got a $10 iTunes gift card. It makes me want to go on tour so badly even though I have terrible stage fright and absolutely no musical talent. I know the Zack quote is slightly different than the one that I put on the tumblr but it's been stupid lately and I can only post from my phone which doesn't let me edit. I'm trying to get it fixed soon.

Anyway, thanks to my absolutely fabulous commenters!:
new_yorkxo
Baby.Blue.Eyes
(I know, she can be really frustrating sometimes. I can't really explain her actions other than to say she is in need of some serious counseling which she hasn't been able to get. She spent so long with Marcus that he completely brainwashed her, so it's going to take a lot to change her mind back. But Alex is certainly up to the challenge;) She get's better soon, I swear, just stick with me. I'd suggest watching the movie Reviving Ophelia too, cause even though its a shitty Lifetime movie, it actually does a pretty good job of explaining abusive relationships. Only the one that Chloe was in with Marcus is 10x worse than the one that girl is in.)
heygracerun and
Helpless
Sorry for the super long AN. You guys are the rays of sunshine that get me through the day(: I LOVE YOU.

click me!