A Puck Between Us

Chapter 14

I took a deep breath, enveloped in cozy sheets. The fan rotated, making a soft ticking sound, letting a comfortable breeze hit my face.

I turned over slowly, as the small boy snuggled into me. A small whisper escaped his lips, revealing a small bit of his dream.

Each movement set of its own grenade. Jeff’s smell was everywhere, surrounding me. It set fireworks off in my heart. I hated it.

There was something, deep in me that just knew that once he leaves again, it wouldn’t be the same.

He’ll leave, and he’ll meet other girls. He’ll eventually fall in love with some one who was already with him. He’ll forget about me, as I would wait here for him.

And one day, he will never come home.

I shut my eyes, attempting to escape, but sleep was nowhere close. I forced myself not to think of the future, but I knew it was a lost cause to try and not think of Jeff at all.

Instead, I decided to think about the past.

I broke through the trees, twirling back to him. Jeff, soon, broke through the same opening, a smile pasted on his face.

“We’re almost there.” I giggled, grabbing his hand, and leading him through the open field.

The stars shimmered above us, and crickets chimed under the flowers. Off in the forest behind us, animals sang and scurried.

“Are you sure you know where you’re going?” He asked, although the trust in his voice was evident.

“Of course, I do.” I laughed, sticking out my tongue like a two year old. The air around us was chilled, but I still insisted on wearing a sundress. It flew with my hair in the breeze.

“Now where, exactly, are we going?” He laughed, curious again.

“It’s a spot, an amazing spot!” I said, not revealing much.

Up ahead, another tangle of brush was hiding it, and it was so close. I could smell the honey suckle growing closer, and the farther away we got from the forest the more sure I got.

I dragged him through the cattails, before revealing the spot.

It seemed like just a hill edge, but if you really looked, you could see our whole small town. Lights glittered in the small shops and convenience stores down below, and a few porch lights glimmered in the distance.

Fireflies were surrounding us, dancing through out the air, as I heard Jeff’s steady breathing hitch.

“Told you I knew where I was going.” I teased, turning around, laying a hand on his chest. I looked up at him, staring into his deep brown eyes that shined even at night.

“Fine, fine you’re right.” He smiled in defeat, looking down at me.

“And I told you it was beautiful enough to waste our time getting here.” I giggled, as his expression changed.

“Now that’s not fair, Addi.” He smiled faintly, letting the tops of his lips turn up.

“What isn’t?” I asked, cocking my head to the side. It seemed plenty beautiful to me, enough to star in a picture in some famous museum.

“It’s not right to compare something with you standing right there.” He grinned down at me, as I looked away, hoping my blush wasn’t evident in the moon light.

I turned around and faced the view, as he wrapped his hands around my waist from behind me, laying his head on my shoulder, as we rocked slowly.

“It is quite outstanding.” He agreed, after a moment of silence. I felt his lips on my cheek and travel down to my neck. I shuddered, before turning back to him.

“Jeff, I love you.”

The words echoed in my head, over and over again. They were taunting me, laughing at the way things were. The whole vision turned bright and white.

Jeff, I love you. The words repeated. White. That’s all I saw.


I burst my eyes open, shooting up. I glanced around the room lost for a second, before I put two and two together.

I sagged back into the bed, as I heard a tiny conversation forming in the kitchen. Jeff’s muffled playful voice was muted as it traveled down the hallway.

My hands shot next to me, before I realized Jeff must have had Emerson. I sighed, erasing the dream, before I made my way to the busy kitchen, leaving the memory behind me.