A Puck Between Us

Chapter 16

“Do you like sleeping over with Jeff, Em?” I smiled down at him, as I waited for Jeff to go get the bag out of his car. The over-excited boy nodded so fast, his head was hardly moving.

“More offen.” He giggled out, as I just shook my head at his choice of words, if that’s what you can call it.

I opened my mouth to continue when I heard my name being called.

“Addison.” Jeff greeted walking into the room, his back as stiff as a plank. He placed the white bag lightly on the counter

“Are you okay?” I hesitated before asking. His face was pale and his lips were like paper. His eyes seemed to dance with fear and fury all together.

“Addison, some one is waiting outside for you.” He said stiffly, pulling Emerson out of my hands. I studied his face for a moment, as he looked away, I followed his eyes to the window.

Carefully, I walked over, and slid open the white cotton curtains. My heart froze in my chest, as a lump rose in my throat.

My mother stood there, arms folded across her chest, facing his car.

I had to talk to her and I knew that. I had to tell her, and explain to her, that I didn’t want to come home.

I turned back toward Jeff and studied his face. He glanced at me, his unreadable mask evaporating for a second. Fear for me shown in his eyes as his own guiltiness rang. He turned away again, composing his face.

“Jeff, I have to go talk to her. She is my mom.” I pointed out, as he continued looking at the floor.

“Don’t do anything stupid, Addison.” He sighed, before taking the curious looking Emerson into the next room.

I took a deep breath before walking out the large doors, out to my awaiting mom. I cleared my throat as she whirled around.

“Oh Addison! I was so worried!” She beamed, pulling me into a hug. I hesitantly patted her back, my neck staying straight.

“Don’t you ever do that again! I missed you so much!” She smiled, pulling me away, before kissing my head.

“Mom, you’re forgetting how-.” I began before she hurried to me a silence.

“Oh forget it! We all make mistakes, right Addi?” She smiled at me, her eyes wrinkling in the corners. I felt like a little kid again.

I didn’t like it.

“Well, I guess so but.” I continued, but I could feel my argument getting weaker.

“No buts. You and Emerson need to come home now. I miss my babies.” She commented, tucking my hair behind my ear.

“No.” I said, sternly, as she paused only for a second, before going back into her strokes.

“Oh Addison, you don’t know what your talking about. Come home for a few days then you can change your mind if you want.” She smiled warmly.

“Fine…” I said, turning away and walking back inside.

She was my mom, and she just wanted her weight back into her life, before she floated away.

A felt a tinge of regret hit me, as I realized I took her only support away from her. We all did make mistakes.

I walked back inside and began gathering her things as he walked back out, Emerson clinging to his side with his thumb in his mouth.

“Is Mommy gone?” Emerson mumbled, looking up at me with big brown eyes.

“No, Emerson. We’re going to go home for a little.” I smiled at Emerson, as Jeff’s shoulders squared and his back straightened up.

“You’re honestly going back home?” He asked, sickened.

“Well, I do live there.”

“You don’t have to, Addison. Live with me, Emerson can to.” He smiled, taking a step closer as I shook my head.

“She needs us. She promised it was just a mistake.” I continued, as he just shook his head, turning into the kitchen.

“What are you doing?” I asked, zipping up the diaper bag, looking at him.

“I’m not going to help you make that big of a mistake. I’ll be here when you want to come back.” He said, as if he knew the future.

I finished packing the bags, before grabbing Emerson and going to my mom.

“The families finally back together!” She smiled, taking my brother from me. I glanced back just in time to see the boy who housed us close the blinds on us.

And that was it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments = Faster Updates