A Puck Between Us

Chapter 22

“Can we do something?” He whispered, his breath tickling my ear. I drew in a shaky breath, letting chills run down my spine.

“Can we go get out little boy and bring him here?”

A smile slowly grew on my lips, as kept myself intertwined with him. I went onto my toes and kissed the side of his mouth, before pausing.

He was back.

I placed my lips on his, destroying any barrier left between us. Our lips moved with grace, but burned with a gentle passion.

I reached my hand up, letting my fingers intertwine themselves in Jeff’s hair. His arms rested along my waist, making sure his touch was gentle.

I let my kisses move to his jawline, planting small kisses down his neck.

“Don’t leave me.” I whispered, before kissing farther down his neck.

“Never.” He whispered, moving his hands higher up on my back.

“Take us with you.” I whispered again, as he sighed, dropping his hands from my waist and using them to pull my face away to face him.

He studied my bright eyes, as I stared back at him. Was he having second thoughts, to a thought what wasn’t even fully thought out?

Did that even make sense?

“Do you think this is really the right thing to do?” He asked, as I stared at him, truly bewildered.

“Off course it is, why wouldn’t it be?” I asked, cocking my head to the side.

“Well, she is your mom, and she needs help. You see what a wreck she is not and.” His voice drifted off into silence. I just stared back up into the deep chocolate eyes, searching if he wanted me to leave.

He never wanted to leave. It was, all, my stupid mother’s fault. For all the times teenagers tell their moms that they are ruining their lives, for once, I can actually say that.

She tore my…child… away from us. Child. I was really one of those unmarried teen moms that we used to make fun of on MTV.

Great.

Our family really could fit on Jerry Springer. Family of Three Torn Apart By Evil Mother, All While The Son Doesn’t Know Who Is Real Mother Is!

Reality T.V show or not, this was my family, and I can’t leave them, ever. The hole can never be torn back open. I love him and that last kiss sealed the deal.

A kiss of death you may say.

“I want to come with you. Where ever you go, I want to be there.” I said, confidently. I knew I couldn’t leave him, and I knew Emerson would hate to.

Oh Emerson, explaining to him.

He leaned down and kissed my head, before taking my hand and walking me out to the car.

Hand in hand, we drove down the windy roads, before finally reaching the small apartment of my Aunt’s house.

We walked up the crickity old stair way that led to my Aunt’s hall. B3.

I led him to the door, before knocking on it slightly, but loud enough. I heard a scuttling from inside the house before my Aunt answered.

“Oh! Addison, you’re here early.” She said, before realizing Jeff was there. “Jeff, nice to see you again.” She smiled, but it didn’t quiet reach her eyes, as she scanned over my clothing.

Jeff’s shirt.

This looked bad.

“Nice to see you too, Ms. Darla.” He greeted, politely, his cheeks staying a steady color unlike mine, which could now be mistaken for rosebuds.

“We’re here to pick up Emerson.” I said, not making eye contact.

“Oh he’s right in the kitchen. Please, come in, come in. Can I get you anything? Coffee or tea?” She asked, before scurrying into her small apartment.

Everything seemed as if it never changed. The walls were still the faded baby blue, with the old green couch in the middle of the room.

The coffee table was still chipped and pots and pans were still piled along the counter in the kitchen. The still-life of the fruit in a bowl still laid crookedly on the wall, taking up space that couldn’t be afforded to loose.

Eddy was sprawled out on the cousin, decorated in Emerson’s wooden toys. Emerson’s giggle brought light to Jeff’s eyes, as if seeing him in a whole new way.

As if he was seeing him as his son.

Only one thing seemed out of place. That thing was my mom.

She stood awkwardly in the corner, her crouch protective over Emerson small playing body under her.

“Mom.” I chocked out, as Jeff’s eyes lowered into a glare.

“Addison!” She exclaimed, smiling, taking a step toward me. I, soon, felt Jeff’s protective arm pull me behind me.

“Can you please take my daughter from out behind your back, Mr. Skinner.” She said, suddenly her voice was stern.

Jeff looked back to me, studying my face as I nodded once, stepping from behind him.

“Can I speak to you outside?” I asked, not breaking eye contact. She nodded once, before stiffly walking past me to go outside.

We walked out into the same small confined hallway before she smiled, attempting the guilt trip again.

“So, you and Jeff are strong again! I’m happy for you two an-“ He began, before I cut her off with a disgusted noise.

“Don’t act stupid. You think your could hide your little deal forever?” I spat out, glaring at her with such hate.

“Excuse me?” She asked, surprised at my tone as I couldn’t hold back my laugh.

“You thought you could separate Jeff and I? You let me suffer that heartbreak because you were afraid to be alone? “ I asked, disgusted.

“I was trying to be a good mother! You were so young, and you were going to get hurt.” She asked, attempting to be sympathetic.

“You’re disgusting. You thought I was going to get hurt? Me! Ha! What about that little boy I was carrying? The one you begged to pretend was your son? You’ve hid his real heritage from him for what? Nearly two years?

He thought his father, my father, your husband was dead. No, his dad was alive, living his dream, without me! Now that little boy, Emerson, is in there, confused.”

“I was just trying to be a good mother for you and-“ She began.

“Be a good mother? A good mother! Would a good mother do this?” I said, pulling up Jeff’s shirt to reveal the dark bruises on my stomach.

“Oh, Addi. Did you run into the table again?” She asked, a motherly smile formed on her face

“Can a table do this, Mom?” I spit the word Mom out in pure outrage, as I lifted up my sleeve, revealing the large slit still blistering red down my arm.

She opened her mouth before shutting it again.

“Excuse me, I’m going to go be the mother you never were.” With that I walked back into the small apartment, before picking up Emerson. Jeff had Emerson’s bag tight by his side.

“Come on, Em, we’re going home.”

“For good?” He asked, with big brown eyes.

“For good.” I repeated, as we went back downstairs, to our awaiting car, to our awaiting future.