A Puck Between Us

Chapter 24

I curled up tighter into the red, fleece blanket. The television silently showed its pictures, contrasting against its dark surroundings.

The channel changer was lying across my lap; my finger was still lying on the mute button.

I stretched my feet, unraveling them from Jeff, before placing them lightly on the other side of the couch. Quietly, I scooted closer to the sleeping man that lay next to me.

I picked up his hand lightly, pausing as he moved. I could have sworn he was awake, but soon enough, a small snore admitted from his pale lips. I turned over his delicate palm and traced it.

I traced every line and crevice as if it was a story. From the beginning to the end, I let my finger travel up and down the lines.

I brought his warm hand up to my chilled cheek, as I closed my eyes and let my mind and memories wander.

Light was just admitting itself through the crooked blinds. I blinked my eyes a few times, realizing this wasn’t my room.

Everything was too white.

The ceiling with a stingy white, the carpet was once white, more of a yellowish short off hue, the picture frames, the lamp shade, even the sheets were pure and white.

In the same white picture frames, there were pastel colored paintings of anything to flowers to people dancing.

These types of paintings and colors only brought me back to last night. A smile rose on my lips and I turned over and traced shaped into Jeff’s bare back.

He turned over and smiled at me. “Good morning, beautiful.”

I instantly felt self-conscience. I felt the sheets slip as I changed positions, and I felt too…open.

My skin rubbed against the sheets, as I glanced to yesterday’s clothes, lazily thrown through out the hotel room.

I looked up into those clear brown eyes, and for once, I actually felt beautiful.

“Good morning.” I said, but it came out in a sigh of relief. I did it. I knew he was the one. I loved him and there was nothing more to it.

It was like we were a puzzle, the picture was perfect when we were together, and we were a mess when we were apart.

With out him, what would I be? Damn, I sounded like one of those sappy teenagers on a romantic comedy, but really.

I’ve known him for almost forever, we grew up together; I’ve never spent a day of childhood without him.

He pulled me into his arms, our bare skin touching. I wrapped my hands around him, breathing in his scent. In my arms I felt strong…I felt safe. Like my puzzle was complete.


I took his hand off my cold cheek, and placed it in my lap. Slowely, I wrapped his fingers into the spaces between mine.

This was it, it fit like a puzzle. He was my other half.

~*~

“Hello?” A squeaky voice sang. “Mommy…daddy.” The voice chuckled quietly to itself.

“Why are you sleeping?” I peeked my eyes open to see my small brown-haired brother son, standing there looking at us through wide-eyes.

I turned my head, letting my face be covered by Jeff’s jacket, before I felt him stretch under me.

“Jef- I mean Daddy,” He giggled as I peeked up to see Jeff smiling.

“Yes, Emerson?” He said in a tired voice, letting out one laugh.

“Why are you still sleeping?” He whined, crossing his arms.

I glanced up at the clock, hanging in the kitchen. 7:02. I groaned, folding back into Jeff, as he ran his fingers through my hair, a laugh erupted through him.

“Five more minutes?” Jeff asked, crossing his arms like Em, shooting him the same look.

“Nope! Warm milk on the table in five minutes with goldfish on the side, or you’ll be sorry!” He giggled, pointing a finger at us, before walking away.

“Better start on that warm milk.” He said, stretching and getting up, as I slid down onto the couch.

“I’ll get the gold fish.” I sighed, standing up. I undid the bun from my hair, letting it drap around me.

I reached up into the cabinet, pulling down the familiar bag of goldfish. My arm was slightly tense, pulling at the newly formed skin over it.

“So, I have some news for you.” Jeff said, idly pouring milk into a small cup. Emerson was busy making spit-bubbles to himself, sitting on his booster seat.

“Hmm?” I asked, shaking the gold fish onto the plate.

“Well…my family’s been out of town and they’ve really wanted to visit, and I knew they were coming soon. The only reason I didn’t tell you was because you were at your house and-“ He started babbling as I handed Emerson his goldfish.

“Calm down.” I laughed. “Just tell me the date and I’m good.” I smiled, facing him. He glanced at me, with apologetic eyes.

“Today.”

“Today?” I looked at him with wide eyes as he began explaining everything.

“We have to clean! We have to get Emerson into nice clothes, and cook them something! Oh! How are we going to explain to them?” I began fluttering around the house, picking up any clothes or anything I could hold that didn’t belong there.

“Calm down.” He repeated me, laughing. He handed Emerson the cup and began cleaning.

I looked over myself, before looking up at him. “I look horrible!”

“They’ve seen you run around naked when you were three. You look a whole lot better now.” He glanced at me smiling, before hesitantly pulling me into me into his arms. His lips lightly touched mine, but I knew it was going to be okay.

“Get a room.” Emerson chimed in from the back. I smiled against his kiss, before scurrying off the make the house presentable.