A Puck Between Us

Chapter 25

We both laughed at Emerson the entire time we cleaned up the house. It wasn’t that dirty, but Addison was going crazy. She always did do that when she was nervous about something.

I went upstairs where she had been putting Emerson to sleep for a nap and she was cleaning up there too.

I walked behind her and wrapped my arms around; pulling hers down from the shelf she was dusting.

“Addi, they aren’t gonna come up here.” I said to her, resting my head on her shoulder and kissing her cheek lightly.

“I know, but I just—“

“Clean when you get nervous. I know. But you don’t have to worry, it will all be fine. I will take care of it.”

She turned around and draped her arms around my neck. “But you shouldn’t have to do it alone. It’s not only you that made the mistake.”

“What mistake? Addison it was an accident, but it wasn’t a mistake. And that little boy right there—not a mistake.”

She faked a smile. “I know, but—“

“But, nothing. We will deal with it when the time comes. It will all work out.”

~~~

“Ding” The oven started beeping and Addison came over to take the chicken out of the oven.

Along with all the cleaning, she had made broccoli, rice, mashed potatoes, corn and now the chicken. She put together a salad and had brownies and cookies for dessert, too.

I, on the other hand, had done nothing.

“Addi, are you sure you don’t need help with anything?”

“I am really all set. I just need to figure out something for Emerson to wear and for me to wear and it’ll be good.”

“You really don’t need to wear anything special, Add. It’s just my parents.”

“Yeah, I know, but it’s when we tell them that we are parents…”

I walked over to her and she put her arms under my armpits and placed her hands on my shoulders, digging her face into my chest. I ran my hands through her hair and talked quietly to her.

“Do you need to go get something to wear?” I asked her. “I know you aren’t gonna back down about this, so I might as well just offer.”

“You don’t have to do that. I will find something.”

“What about Emerson? Does he have anything?”

“Actually, those clothes that you had to buy for him last week I brought back to my moms and they are there now, so he only has the dirty ones from my aunts and what he has on now.”

“Well how about if I take him out and get him some stuff and you can get ready?”

“You’re ready??” She asked, as I saw her eyes look me up and down, and making faces.

“Yeah! Why? It’s just my parents.”

“I guess. I have come from my mom’s looking way worse than that the past few days.”

“Way worse!” I joked and she tried to pull away, faking being mad.

I grabbed her and planted my lips on hers. I pulled away only long enough to apologize and went right back in for more. Why did my parents have to be coming over? I could do this all night.

She pulled away. “You should go if you are gonna take him. Here, take this.”

She tried to hand me money, but I turned around and grabbed Emerson and they keys and ran out of there.

~~~

I decided to go back to BabiesRUs since I knew a little bit about what she would get from there. If not I would have probably failed miserably.

We went in and I put Emerson in one of the carriages. I grabbed a few cups and stuff that we got a few nights ago that he would need and then I went to the clothes department.

I got him a bunch of things because he was going to be living there now. It seemed only right. I wanted to make it as normal as possible for him. I walked back to the crib section and looked around for a few minutes. I decided that I should get him one and I would put it in the same room as Addison. He should have a life like any regular kid.

I threw all of the stuff into the back of the truck and got in the car. It was 5:15 and I still had 45 minutes till my parents were supposed to be over.

I drove back to the house and my dad’s car was in the driveway. It was only 5:35 now. Why were they there so early?

I jumped out of the car and pulled an outfit out of the bag, throwing it on Emerson as quickly as I could.

I walked up to the door and after being calm all day, I was nervous. This was it.