A Puck Between Us

Chapter 34

I glanced around the tightly packed living room, getting the full impact of my surroundings. I felt as if I was back in my high school cafeteria.

There were tightly packed groups, talking together, practically ignoring the others, unless it’s to call over. The only real time they seems to acknowledge each other is when some one scored on the football game they were all watching.

Huddled on the couch, the boys shouted at the T.V like little kids. If I can remember, their names were…Eric, Brian, and Alexei, and off course Chad, Cam, and Jeff.

In the corner, in their own little jumbo playpen, sat a group of children. They were all playing and sucking on various toys. Em had the biggest smile on his face. One had to spread across mine.

Of course, that smile left as soon as I turned back to my group. I was included in the tightly packed group of wives and girlfriends.

“Right, Addison?” Tanya’s voice asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

“Er, what?” I stuttered out, attempting to cover up the fact that I just zoned out on what ever they were talking about. It wasn’t exactly interesting. The whole conversation reminded me of something I’d hear on a talk show, hosted by middle-aged woman, who wanted to be young.

Don’t get me wrong they are all beautiful, but almost everyone, in except from Cody and Inna are horribly obsessed with fashion. I mean that’s ALL they talk about!

“Way to keep up, Addison.” Scoffed Melissa, throwing back her dark auburn hair, shaking with laughter.

“We were saying, can you believe I got a bargain on these fantastic heels? Nude is totally in, and you know when the season starts up, the paparazzi will. Then all eyes will be on me!” She said, her bright eyes shining with anticipation.

“That’s pretty cool. I got these for a bargain too.” I said, with a weak smile. “They were only five ninety-nine at Rack Room Shoes.”

“Rack Room Shoes? That’s so gross!” Tanya shrieked, as she cackled with laughter, followed by her friends.

“I’m going to go get a drink.” I said, excusing myself.

Carefully, I got up. I could feel their eyes on me as I began to walk away. Focus, Addison. Walk like a normal person for god’s sake!

After that short walk, but it felt like forever, I reached the counter and grabbed a water bottle and headed out the door.

I walked onto the deck, listening to my “cheap” shoes clank against the wood. I took a breath of the sweat air, ignoring the dreadful feeling about having to go back in there.

Remember, it’s for Jeff. It’s all for Jeff. I repeated, taking large breaths of air.

Soon enough, I heard the door slide open and closed again. Two foot steps edged toward me, and leaned against the railing, examining the forest below, just like me.

“They can be a little brutal.” Inna’s comfortably mellow voice rang.

“You’ll get used to them, and they’ll warm up to you.” Cody’s voice stated, a smile toying at her lips.

“I suppose so. I’m not that offended by it, it’s just.” I paused, running my fingers through my hair, attempting to put my feelings into words.

“It’s just you feel out of place? We’ve all been there.” Cody’s voice giggled.

“Hey, guess I’ll just put on a happy face for the crowd,” I giggled, playing with the tips of my hair.

“All this trouble for just one boy,” Inna’s voice stated, quietly.

“You really have a thing for each other, don’t you?” Cody asked, laying her arms on the railing and laying her head on top of it.

“I suppose so.” I said, with a shrug, letting my smile seep onto my lips.

“How long have you known each other?” Cody asked again, her eyes studying me.

“Awhile.” I laughed, counting up the years in my head.

“And Emerson’s you’re kid?” Cody asked again, sounding thoughtful.

“Em is most definitely Jeff and mine.” I giggled, thinking of the resemblance.

“You’re really good for him. When you’re around, he glows. He seems genially happy.” Inna stated, hiding behind her dark hair.

“He glows?” I asked, a laugh struggling in my throat.

“Don’t over think it. Inna just says these things.” She smiled at me.

I looked back and forth from Inna to Cody. Maybe this place won’t be that bad.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been horrible!

I've been on holiday, procrastinating, exams, and incredibly ill! Ignore my absence and just enjoy<3