A Puck Between Us

Chapter 7

Days felt like weeks, seeming to go on forever, without seeing her.

It had only been three days since she poured her heart out about how she felt about me, how she felt about us, and I swear an entire NHL season could have gone by in the time it felt like.

I sat at the Kitchen table, alone, reading the Sports page in the Newspaper. The Jays won the night before so at least something is going right, I thought to myself. I closed the newspaper and took the last bite of my bagel. As I walked over to the counter to put my plate and glass in the dishwasher, something caught my eye.

Addison was walking out to the car, in her pajamas, with her brother. I decided to take this opportunity to try to talk to her, even a little small talk, just something.

I quickly put my sneakers on, grabbed my keys, and ran outside to pretend to get something from my car. As I stepped out, I realized that I should have grabbed a sweatshirt. The t-shirt that I threw on after my shower wasn’t really gonna cut it, but it was for a good cause.

I walked up to my truck, keeping my eyes secretly fixated on her, and opened the door. I leaned in and tried to find something to take out. Did I really have to clean this out yesterday? Finally, I remembered that I had left my North Face in the back seat last night. I grabbed it and took it out of the car.

“Morning, Add.” I said over to her, trying to talk to her.

“Good morning.” She said and slightly waved, walking right into the house.
It was like we were elderly neighbors that didn’t really like each other, but stayed civil.
Well that is not what I was expecting. I was hoping we could have some kind of simple conversation, but maybe it was still too soon.

I went back inside and decided that since I had nothing better to do with my day, I would throw in the laundry that had been building up from the hotel rooms on the way back up to Canada. I went up to my room and took the backpack off of my floor that had all of the dirty clothes in it. After I filled the washing machine, I turned it on and walked back to my bedroom. It was still weird to me that this used to be my parents room.

When I realized that this house was back for sale after my parents sold it 5 years ago so we could “move on to bigger and better things”, as they called it, I just knew I was meant to buy this house.

As much as I denied, I knew that being the boy next door to Addison was the real reason I jumped on the opportunity to take this house as my own.

My phone began to ring and I snapped out of my thoughts.

“Hello?”

“Hey, what are you up to?”

“Nothing at all. What about you?” I asked my brother, Ben

“Oh, you know, just going over to mine and my fiancée’s new place.”

“She actually said yes to you?”

“Don’t sound so surprised…” He joked. “You’re just bitter because everyone thought you would be the first one to get married to Addison.”

“You really had to bring that up, dude?” I asked him, angrily.

“Sorry, bro. But hey, did you want to come see the new condo?”

“I guess. When are you gonna be there?”

“I am pulling in now. Just meet me here whenever you can.”

“Alright, I’ll see you in a little. Bye.”

“Bye.”

I went downstairs and grabbed my North Face that I had used as an excuse to see Addison earlier. Everything I do makes me think of her.

I walked out to my car and couldn’t help but notice a guy at her door. I got in the truck, still watching him and very slowly put on my seatbelt and turned on my Tahoe, trying to stall so I could see what he was up to.

Next thing I knew, Addison opened the door and a huge smile appeared on her face. She jumped and threw her hands around his neck and he held her in a hug for a good two minutes. I know that after all I have done to hurt her I have no right to be jealous, but I couldn’t help myself.

Was everything she said to me a few days ago a lie to just get me to leave? I had millions of questions rushing through my head and they were all about her. If she could just forget about me like that and make things up to get rid of me, then so could I.