The Lovely Predator

Chapter 2

Mabel and I were in my room Googling random images on my computer. I was keeping her well-entertained, like Mason told me to. He didn't want Mabel around Hayden, because he's afraid our house will become a crime scene of attempted rape.

She's sitting in front of my desktop and I'm sitting on my bed, fiddling with a rubber ball I found under my desk. The ball slips from my hands and falls onto the ground with multiple thuds that got faster and shorter as the ball kept bouncing.

Mabel turns to me and says, " Did you hear that?"

" Hear what?" I ask, retrieving the ball, before it rolls under my bed.

" I heard knocking!" She exclaims, getting up from the desk chair and running towards my bedroom door.

" No, Mabel, it was just the ba-" but I'm too late, she already ran down the hall towards the front door and I chase after her.

" Hi- Aw.. He's not here yet," she said once she opened the door.

" Who isn't?" I turn around and see the raven-haired boy walking down the corridor towards us.

" Hayden, you came!" Mabel exclaims, sprinting towards him and locking her arms around his neck as if they were a long-term couple. Oh crap...

" Mabel!" I exclaim, trying to pull her back, but it's no success. Hayden chuckles and calmly removes her arms from around his neck.

" It's okay, I'm used to it," he said as he moved his face closer to hers with a smirk and moved back away.

My heart stopped, then it started beating again at a faster than usual pace. I froze in place, I sense that Mabel feels the same.

After a few seconds, I'm able to control my feet. I walk to Mabel and tap her shoulder lightly "Mabel?"

" Did you see that?" She asks, not moving at all.

" See what?"

" His eyes. . ."

" What? Mabel, what are you saying?" I get a good grip on her arm and jerk her around. Her face was flushed with tears streaming down her cheeks. " Mabel, what happened?!" I question, gripping her shoulders and jerking her back and forth.

" I- I think I'm going home," she said silently, not looking me in the eyes.

" What? Why? You're not gonna stay for dinner?" Yeah, I know, a stupid question, but what else was I supposed to say? Tell me what you saw in his eyes! I'm not going to pressure her.

" No, I-I'm not hungry. I'll call my mom to not bother you guys," She says quietly. She walks to the couch, reaches for her phone and clears her throat before her mother answers. " Hey, Mom, I need you to pick me up... I'm at Serenity's house... Yeah... Okay, love you too," she hangs up and starts crying into the palms of her hands. I just stand there like a giant, gaping, idiot whose unable to help. What the hell just happened?

A few minutes after Mabel went home, dinner was ready. Madison and I sat next to each other, Mason and Hayden sat on the other side with an empty seat between them. Men... Hayden sat in front of Madison.

I guess I could say this is one of the most awkward dinners I've had without my parents. Mason complimented Madison's cooking every few minutes. Madison played Twenty Questions with Hayden to her liking (which I could tell was annoying Hayden). I sat there silently, glaring at him- mentally- but looking at him innocently. I'm pretty sure he felt uncomfortable, because I surely did.

Shortly after dinner, I was heading to my room to listen to music and I see Hayden walk out the bathroom and heading my way. I had the guts to approach him.

" Hayden," I say in a dominant tone, although I felt sick inside.

" Yeah?" He asks, with that beautiful smile of his.

" Uh.. W- What happened with Mabel back there?"

" What do you mean?" His smile falters.

" After you left, she was crying," I respond, looking at my clammy hands that were fiddling with each other.

" Sorry Serenity, but I don't know. If it had something to do with me then..."

" Argh, it's okay, I'll ask her at school tomorrow," I say, dismissing the conversation with a hand gesture and walking into my room.

I didn't notice until now that my heart was beating fast since the incident with Mabel, but now, it calmed down when I closed my bedroom door.

The next day at school I see Mable standing at our usual meeting spot. I quickly switch my confused expression into a simple smile, nowhere near her giddy one. The events from last night made me think that she wouldn't attend school today. Or at least come with a paranoid look.

" Hey Mabel," I say, getting hyped up about the questions I was urging to ask her.

" Hey Ren," she says, walking up to me with a cheesy grin. Her pale blonde hair was loose with a headband to support it. Her eyes had no sadness hidden within them.

Should I ask her? Oh hell, why not?

" So, about last night. . ." I say, giving her time to process what I just said.

" What about it?" She asks with a confused look on her face. She showed no sign of lying.

" Remember when you were crying?"

" Crying? No, I don't."

How can she not remember? It happened last night, didn't it? I remember it perfectly!

" B-But you were! Something happened- I don't know what- but it happened! You and I were, like, frozen in time, or something, when Hayden-"

" Serenity, you were probably dreaming it. I went to your house, ate dinner and left early," she says, opening the door to her locker as a sign of letting the conversation go.

I lean on the locker, thinking of it all. If that was a dream then what the hell happened last night?

" No, it must've been real, because I dreamt of- wait, what did I dream of?"

" You see? You don't even remember what you dreamt of," she says, shutting her locker and turning to me.

" Well, that stuff happens. And if you did eat with us, what did we have?" I say, giving her a childish expression.

She laughs and says, " Pork chops and Alfredo pasta," damn!

" How can I forget what happened last night? I know you were crying. You called your mom to take you home before you ate dinner with us," I say as we walk towards our class.

" Well, sorry Serenity, but I don't remember any of that happening. Maybe you hit the liquor too hard."

" Liquor? What liquor? I didn't have liquor!"

" How do you know? You were drunk," she says, as she pats my shoulder and walks into the classroom.

Fine, I'll drop it, but I know she's trying to hide something, so I won't let it go.

Our morning classes passed by quickly, since we didn't do much. Mabel and I just passed notes to each other about the prom and what we'll miss when we're out of here for vacation.

I sat with Mabel at a round table in the center of the loud cafeteria.

" I'm not hungry. After seeing those pink chicken nuggets yesterday, I think I'll start bringing my own lunch next year," Mabel stated with a disgusted expression.

I bit my lip and looked towards the Á La Carte section of the cafeteria. " I guess I'll have some pizza," not that I liked the greasy pizza with dried cheese they served here. I just like picking at it, to kill time during lunch.

We can't roam the halls during lunch in this school. It has a delicious reputation for teens getting pregnant during the lunch period. We can't even head to the restroom without the supervision of a teacher.

I'm waiting in the line to get some pizza and feel a finger tap my shoulder. I turn around and come face to face with Hayden.

" Oh, hey, what's up?" I say nervously, my heart beat accelerating. I wasn't prepared for his encounter, especially with those beautiful eyes directly looking at mine.

" Not much, getting stalked," he says, pointing his thumb to where four girls were giggling a few feet behind him. " They've been making themselves noticeable to me all morning; they spoke loudly, they laughed loudly... They practically want me to give them attention," he explains, leaning a shoulder on the wall.

" And have you?" I ask with an amused look crossing my face.

" Nope. Just like they say; don't feed the trolls. They're like trolls, and I won't feed them."

His response caused me to laugh hard enough to choke on my saliva. He laughs as he gently pats my back.

" Are you okay?" He says with a comical tone.

" Yeah, perfect, thanks," I say, trying hard to hold back coughs caused by the tickle in my throat.

" You should drink some water."

" No, I'm good," I assure, clearing my throat and grabbing my tray of greasy pizza.

" Alright then," he says, grabbing his and catching up to me as I walk out the line and into the lunch room.

" So, you going to prom?" He asks me.

My heart beat is already racing from when he greeted me. Now I feel my cheeks burning and my hands start to get clammy. I feel a flash of heat run down my back.

" Uh yeah, but I'm being forced," I say.

He chuckled, " Why is that?"

" Well, first of all, I'm not a party person. Second, I don't have a date."

" Well that sucks, I'm sure someone will ask you out," he says, looking at me with a beautiful crooked smile," I'm planning on going."

" Really? With who?" I ask, feeling the blood rush up to my head, making me feel light headed.

" Mabel," he responds as he parts ways to sit with a group of guys I don't know.

I almost tripped on my own feet. I felt my heart jump up and slowly sink down and it started to beat faster and louder. My burning eyes automatically turn to where the blonde was sitting, resting her chin on her palms and staring out the large windows.

Why must I feel this way?

_______________________________________________

Mabel went home after school and I rode with Mason, Madison and Hayden to Sertino's.

They spoke about their plans for the summer and what career paths they're willing to choose. I just lagged a few feet behind them and texted Mabel.

Mabel: Dam, I shuldv gone XD

Me: It's best if u didnt =/

Mabel: Aww. . .Why u say that?

Me: I'll chat with u latr :)

Mabel: Kk n u better tell me wat the hell u meant by that :]

" Serenity, what do you want?" Mason asks, turning to me.

I tap my finger on my chin as I gladly scan the menus. "I want an Italian Sub," I say gladly as I run to his side and grab on to his arm.

" No," he states dully.

" What? Why?"

" You're getting a smoothie,"

" But I don't want a-"

" And you're gonna love it," he gives me his best evil smile as I give him my best death glare.

" Argh! You suck!" I exclaim. Madison rolls her eyes and sits down at a booth.

Hayden chuckles behind us and says, "How about I buy for myself and Serenity while you buy for yourself and Madison?"

" You don't have to do that Hayden-" Mason starts to say, but I butt in.

" No, no Mason, let him be a gentleman," I say with an innocent smile.

"Serenity. . ."

" No, I insist. Take it as a thank-you for dinner last night," Hayden says, already reaching for his wallet.

" Fine, but don't let her innocent expressions get to you," Mason says as he steps up to the counter as the cashier comes along.

" No worries, I won't," Hayden responds, giving me one of those beautiful crooked smiles that just make my already rapid heartbeat go even faster.

" You know you don't have to," I say, now feeling like a freeloader.

" Sorry, but weren't you the one saying that I should be a gentleman?"

" I know, but it was a desperate time," yeah, I was desperate two minutes ago.

" Too bad, I made my mind up, and I'm buying," he says as he walks up to the cashier and Mason goes to sit with Madison.

" Thanks, I'll pay you back twice as much," I say, trying to hide the blush that was making its way on my face.

" You don't have to," he says. I start walk to where Mason and Madison were sitting.

Mason and Madison sat on one side of the booth. Madison looked out the window as she drank her smoothie while Mason rested his head on his arms with his already finished smoothie in front of him. They were never ones to speak widely to each other. So much for twin power. I sat on the other side, facing the direction where Hayden and the cashier were chatting.

I get my phone out and fiddle with it as I tune in to the conversation between Hayden and the cashier.

" So Malayna's your name?" He asks in a husky tone.

I put my phone on camera, move it to where I can see them and zoom in.

Malayna looks up from the monitor and she gives him a toothy smile. Her innocent eyes become full with lust. " Yeah, what's yours?"

" Hayden. Pleasure to meet you," he says as he leans against the counter.

" Pleasure is all mine," she says.

" Can't I at least have half of that pleasure?" He asks.

" You're so cheesy," she says as she giggles.

" You would say stupid things too if there was a beautiful person talking to you."

" I don't know. You're talking to me and I don't remember saying anything stupid."

" Serenity?" Madison's voice enters my mind.

I turn to her and notice that my eyes burn, my cheeks are tear streaked and my nose is runny.

" What's wrong?" She asks and Mason lifts his head and widens his eyes.

" Nothing, I just got something in my eyes," I say, clearing my face.

" How clichè, Ren. Everyone says that when they've been crying," Mason says, handing me a Sertino's napkin.

" I'm sorry. I honestly don't know why I've been crying," I say, tapping the napkin on my eyes. Was I crying due to what I just heard?

" It's probably Mom and Dad," Madison says, giving me a sad smile.

" Yeah, I guess that's it," I say. Then Hayden comes with two cokes, my Italian sub and a Roast Beef sandwich.

" It came out almost 20 bucks, but for some reason she said it was on the house," he says as he hands me my sub and slides in next to me. I silently say thanks and try hard to hides my face from him.

" Really?" Mason asks, playing with his empty cup of smoothie. " You probably worked a charm on her."

Hayden laughs and says, " No, I wouldn't do that. I guess she's just a generous soul."

Sure she is. Just like every skank that would 'generously' offer things to please a sexy man like him. Whoa, what did I just say?

" So, Hayden," Madison aforementions, "since you're going to prom, who do you think on asking to go with you?" She gives him her best winning smile. All I know is that she's off his list.

" I already told Serenity. I was thinking about asking Mabel," he responds, picking little pieces of his sandwich and popping them into his mouth.

Mason coughs and Madison stares at him wide-eyed.

Then Mason says, " Sorry, I think I misheard you, but did you just say Mabel?" I know right!?

" Yeah, I think she's cute."

" Dude, I would let you go with my sister," Mason says, pointing at me.

" Mason!" Madison and I exclaim.

" Nah, I see her more as a friend. I think prom would mess that up for us," Hayden says in a relaxed tone.

" Yeah, you see? Just friends," I say as I playfully punch his shoulder. The strange static that travelled from him to me caused me to blush hard.

" Well, just watch out. There's a possibility that girl could be all over you during prom. There is such thing as a girl raping a guy, you know," Mason says.

" Trust me, many girls attempt that in class," Hayden says, making himself and Mason laugh. "I guess I'll ask her today."

____________________________________________________________

We left Hayden at school, since his car was left in the parking lot and headed home. A few hours later- while I'm laying in my bed, with a pillow over my head, trying to sort out what the hell I feel towards Hayden- my cellphone rings. I look at the caller-ID and see that it's Mabel. She's probably calling to tell me the big news about Hayden asking her to prom. I don't want to answer. I feel sick. My stomach is churning. My body feels so warm and my cheeks burn. I can hear my heart beating loudly and blood sloshing around my head. I want to vomit my Italian sub and everything else I ate today. A few minutes later my Alert Ring-tone goes off and I see that I have a voice-mail from Mabel. Screw it, I'll listen to it tomorrow. I just want to sleep for the rest of this day.